Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2023, 09:56 PM   #1

Climbing Hills correlating to strong odor

On this trip we've been climbing up and down the Appalachian mountain we started to notice a very strong smell "burnt rubber" anytime we climbed up a long steep hill. The first time this occurred we quickly pulled into a truck turn out to investigate. Within in 2-3 minutes of pulling over this smell vanished outside the coach it seemed strongest near the exhaust pipe when we first stopped. No visible smoke and no visual damage to any exhaust system component.

using the Bluefire ODM Dashboard I started watching the DPF Intake temperature. Climbing hills obviously increases engine load. I tended to reduce speed keeping the RPM between 1500-2000 RPM depending on 4th or 5th gear. when the DPF intake went above 850'F we would begin to get this smell. Note: no faults or warnings on the dash or logged by Bluefire.

Then next day we drove for 7 hours across the flat road with minor hills, no smell or odor detected.

I'm trying to understand is this is part of how the exhaust burns off the exhaust or is this related to the DEF.

If you have any thoughts on what is causing this and how it is getting into the coach while driving 35-50 mps on the highway I would certainly appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DPF temp.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	383754  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2023, 10:07 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Was it doing a regen?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 10:09 PM   #3

Basing my theory from my truck days, but my guess is your DPF was in regen mode. When your DPF filter fills up, the system generates significant heat to burn out the soot. You could be smelling that burn off. By chance, does your BlueFire device have the ability to monitor soot level in your DPF or the ability to show when you are in regen mode?
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 10:11 PM   #4

Newmar & Arch,

I'm not sure how or what to look for in the Bluefire dashboard that shows Regen is happening.

I'll search for the soot level or something that shows Regen Active
Old 01-03-2023, 10:22 PM   #5

soot %

Okay there is a page that shows just Data. I can see a DPF Soot Percent %.

In this photo the engine is off we are parked for the evening.

How do I evaluate the Soot% or ASH%
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	def soot.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	383755  
Old 01-03-2023, 10:24 PM   #6

A quick search on the BlueFire site shows there is a Regen State point that it monitors. It appears there is a text gauge that will show a green icon when it’s actively in regen mode. There appear to be different software versions, so the icon could be a different color or it may actually say Active on Inactive.

Looks like a pretty cool tool.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
odor