Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2019, 12:10 PM   #1

Coach leans to passenger side

We have a recently purchased a 2019 Allegro Open Road 32SA. When my wife follows in the car, she says the coach tilts to the passenger side and I feel that it lists or sways to the right when driving. We had an upgraded suspension package installed, but not sure that it made any difference. On reasonably flat ground, I measured from the top of the wheel well, through the center of the wheel to the ground. The height on the passenger side was 1.5 inches lower than the height on the driver side. I can't believe that this is caused by weight that we have added to the coach since we have been out few times and have not added much to carry. Suggestions?
steve72352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2019, 02:14 PM   #2

I don't know your coach but if you have air ride it just needs adjusting
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:42 PM   #3

We don't have air ride but wish we did. Perhaps that would take care of the problem.
steve72352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:07 AM   #4

You said you have ".. an upgraded suspension package installed." Is it called "Active Air" by HWH?
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:06 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Could it be the weight of appliances and slides is unbalanced left to right and not adjusted for at the factory?
Old 07-01-2019, 08:45 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Since you don't have air suspension IMHO it would either be overloading on the passenger side (probably from build) OR you have a weak or broken spring/coil.

If you have CAT Scale close you can weigh the coach twice. Pull onto scale with only passenger side and weigh. Back off and pull up with driver side on scale and weigh. Check against axle GVWR.

Crawl under the unit and visually check the springs/coils. If no visual problems measure the distance. For springs measure from the deepest point of flex to the frame. For coils measure from top of coil to bottom of coil.

If there is a difference in either call Tiffin Support and go over problem with your measurements. You will probably have to take it back to the factory to get things corrected but by doing these diagnostics you can save a lot of money.

Best wishes - Richard
Old 07-01-2019, 09:22 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I haven't seen so many poor answers in a long time. Lots of answers from non-Tiffin owners who are not familiar with Tiffin models. For all of you, Allegro Open Roads are built on a Ford F-53 chassis.

I doubt very much that you have overloaded one side of the coach enough to cause what you are seeing. The fix for the lean is to add shims to relevel the coach relative to the chassis. You need to start the process by calling Tiffin Service and reporting the problem. They will probably direct you to a shop that specializes in alignment to verify the problem. Repairs, if needed, will be based on what they find. Be persistent.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:59 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
For what little it's worth, our '07 Open Road also leaned right. Dealer told me "it's within tolorances". At the time i know there were others reporting the same.

Interesting that 12 years later...
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:18 PM   #9

had the same problem on my 36LA, ordered 2" shim kit from Tiffin then had ford dealer install it, works great! it made a big difference.
RideAHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:50 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Roger,

Just to clarify, many of our fellow members are not familiar with every vehicle out there just as it is true that every OP doesn't provide sufficient data to help others provide assistance. As a senior member you know that we grow through our time on the site and no question or information is 'poor'. Those responding before your post clearly were not familiar with the 32A but they offered information based on their experience which in this case didn't address the OP's question because he didn't provide sufficient information about his unit.

As a former owner of the 32A I am very familiar with the unit as well as the F53 chassis as I've owned more than one. I've seen several MH and TT on the road, more this year, that lean to the passenger side.

It is your claim that Tiffin knows they have a build error and their recommended corse of action is to insert shims on the culprit side which, as a former Tiffin owner, I find to be disturbing. IMHO using shims to raise the height on the leaning side identifies a definite Build error related to overloading on the culprit side. In a proper build no shims should have to be added to make the unit Appear to sit level and there use does not correct the original problem.

Weighing the unit side to side or even better all 4 corners will tell you immediately if overloading is present which if the case, IMHO would indicate a design and build problem that Tiffin needs to address.

The only time I have ever used shims on a vehicle over the last 60 years is when the vehicle frame was warped, twisted or sprung. During Viet Nam we often had to shim cargo trailers due to the roads and the speeds driven over them. It was not the safest thing to do but we had to keep them on the road delivering much needed supplies. In addition, we also had to adjust and/or replace shims that had fallen out due to the roads or further deterioration of the frame. Once warped, twisted or sprung the frame will not get better on it own - it only gets worse.

IF Tiffin's response to this apparently known condition is 'shims' then with the deteriorated condition of our nation's roads we will see more vehicles traveling down the highway leaning which creates major safety concerns.

Drive safe - Richard
Old 07-02-2019, 09:08 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Most roads have a crown in the center to facilitate water run off. This can cause the lean your experiencing.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:28 AM   #12

First--our coach has leaf springs on all four corners (1989)and handled atrociously after we hit a really deep, bad drainage road crossing. Right front was lower by 2-1/2" than the left after that (measured at CG) and rebounded all over the road. Handling was scary!!
Got home and had new leaf springs installed.
Handling is now AWESOME compared to before. More like driving my old Caddy Eldorado.
Bad springs or coil should manifest itself by uneven rebound when crossing a bump and lousy handling.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:26 AM   #13

Mine has no noticeable lean even when unevenly loaded such as full water tank on passenger side and empty gray/black water (bad idea by the way) and uneven cargo.

OP states suspension was modified; could be poorly installed sumo's (not seated on the frame on one side) but not likely, or a poorly installed rear track bar. However, if they have the new CLASS Liquid Spring option that opens up a host of other possibilities.

Paul
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote