Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2015, 04:51 PM   #1

Coach Steps

We just had the pivot bolt in our Coach Steps completely break in half. This should still be under warranty. I noticed there were a few complaint in the Fleetwood boards about this issue. Have any of you Tiffin owners had this problem.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Do you know the Brand of Step? Mine is Lippert Components.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:59 PM   #3

Yes mine broke and I fell off on to the floor. It was a Kiwie.
Tiffin replace the steps at no charge. The dealer said they had replaced a 100's of them.
One problem was it took 4 weeks to ship new parts, and I damage my knee.
This was on a 2014 Allegro Bus AP
jhbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:33 AM   #4

Mine has the Lippery Components as well. Very confusing a Kiwikee brochure came with the rv when we had it built, Lippert Components brochure, and a Coach Step sticker on the step.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:35 AM   #5

Jhbright. Did Tiffin send you the steps, or did you have to go there for a replacement.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:04 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Lippert owns the Kwikee Step brand so hopefully that ends some of the confusion. Did the pivot bolt break because you didn't wait for the step to come to a complete stop before you stepped on it?

Any dealer (or yourself, if so inclined) can replace the steps. Tiffin, and most other manufacturers, use the same step mechanism so it is not a brand issue.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:13 AM   #7

No. The step was all the way out. It was such a clean break that we didn't realize for some time, that there was a bolt broken off inside and couldnt be drilled out.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Tiffin uses the cheap Lippert steps....never have understood this.

The answer to not having the bolts break is to put some sort of support under the lowest step. This takes the strain off of the hinges when you step on the first step and makes for a very solid step. Just gotta remember to remove it before retracting the steps...

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:58 PM   #9

Lanerd, this is exactly what my husband said. I did see some supports in one of my rv magazines.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:04 PM   #10

Coach Steps

My 2014 45LP Bus step broke the same way. Looks like when they welded the bolt in place it made the bolt brittle, i think it affected the heat treating of the bolt. Tiffin sent me new steps and the new one did not have the pivot bolt
Old 05-04-2015, 07:41 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KenandBarbie
I had our Coach Step bolt shear when opening the door in a business entrance driveway 3 weeks ago. No weight on the step. Just a bang and the sheared bolt on the ground. 2014 Allegro Bus 37AP. Three weeks before 12 months old. Tiffin sent replacement Kwikie Steps and I had a mobile tech fit the new steps in place. Bolt holes didn't quite line up. But most important lesson was the door jamb step activation switch is configured differently between Coach Step and Kwikie. Back to front. So without the accompanying switch the Kwikie step comes out when the door is closed and vice versa. Now that we have the right switch for the steps the Kwikie steps work great but the entry courtesy lights work back to front and the remote control key fob for the door lock also works back to front. Press unlock to lock the door and vice versa. The mechanisms on the two steps are quite different. I understand from the helpful guy at Tiffin who arranged this for me and the mobile tech that the Coach Step bolt issue is well known now. I subsequently saw a 2015 37AP with Kwikie step installed from new and a different door jamb switch arrangement. I am carrying my secondary issues until I can get to a warranty service centre with a slot to take the job. That could be sometime! Not worth sitting in a site for 3 weeks waiting for a slot.
KenandBarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:39 PM   #12

An update, Tiffin is sending a replacement step. If we can't do this ourselves, we will have to find a repair person to install them.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:45 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
If your a little handy it is easy to replace the step. Mine is held in place with 4 bolts using a 9/16" socket. Lippert has man pdf on the Web for installation information. I have had the drive bolt break twice now.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:38 PM   #14

When I replaced the steps on our coach I used a small hydraulic floor jack which lowered the old steps and raised the new ones in place. I was able to do it without anyone helping and only took 2 hrs start to finish. I hope the new steps hold up better than the ones I replaced

Tags
steps