Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2021, 05:47 PM   #15

Batteries

By setting the cutoff lower, you solved a symptom. Your batteries should not drop below 12,1 when using a 1500w coffee maker.
Have a load test done on your batteries. Even if you see 12,6v cold, you might not get the voltage required when loaded.
A battery load tester is a useful tool, quite cheap on Amazon.
Michel Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2021, 03:06 AM   #16

Worse come to worse you can always use a French Press.
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:51 AM   #17

I always run a Kurig coffee maker on my MS2812 Magnum inverter. Even when I still had 4 worn out LA batteries. Magnum support told me the default for battery cutoff voltage should be at the default of 10v. I had mistakenly changed it to 12v when I didn't understand what I was doing. Putting it back to default let everything work with my worn out LA batteries. I did replace them a couple years later with Lifepo4 batteries, which is almost two years ago now and haven't had to pay attention to the batteries since. Which in hindsight was an amazing investment. -Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:22 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I like to use my 4 cup mr. coffee. I can run it off my inverter but prefer to just boil water on the stove and dump it through the filter/grounds... I call it roughing it!
Old 08-11-2021, 03:10 PM   #19
JWA

On the Tiffin the op has, the microwave and kitchen outlets are on the inverter. BUT as others pointed out, the batteries will go down fast.
JWA 2013 Tiffin Phaeton

Quote:
Originally Posted by rffowler55 View Post
The 1st question to answer is: are the outlets for the coffee maker and microwave powered by the inverter? It is not uncommon for those outlets to be supplied from (shore power or generator) only since they both draw a large number of amps and can quickly draw down your batteries. I had to run a new line from my inverter to enable my inverter to power my residential refrigerator that was originally only supplied by 120v or propane. I use the inverter as the secondary source of power when not on shore power or running the generator (through transfer switching), primarily while traveling and the alternator can charge the house batteries to compensate for the inverter draw.
Old 08-12-2021, 05:54 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
I can't speak to the coffee maker, but the microwave is certainly a power hog. At one point we stopped for lunch and I tried to microwave something, and the generator auto-started (low voltage) within a couple of seconds.
PLColman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:10 PM   #21
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLColman View Post
I can't speak to the coffee maker, but the microwave is certainly a power hog. At one point we stopped for lunch and I tried to microwave something, and the generator auto-started (low voltage) within a couple of seconds.

Maybe the auto-start voltage is set too high?
We can easily run the microwave for 10 minutes or more.

8 lifeline 6v batteries
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 06:52 AM   #22

When we camp without hookups, we use one of these:

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cole...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 04:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jamn View Post
thanks all for the feedback. We re-set the inverter voltage drop out and that seems to have fixed the problem at least on the trial run in the garage, crossing fingers I don't have to wait until 8:00am to get a cup of coffee. thanks
Glad you got it figured out. We can easily run EITHER the MW or the coffee maker off the batteries on our 16QBH. Would not try both at same time. 6 Lifeline 300ah batteries/Magnum 2012 inv/chgr.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 06:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Glad you got it figured out. We can easily run EITHER the MW or the coffee maker off the batteries on our 16QBH. Would not try both at same time. 6 Lifeline 300ah batteries/Magnum 2012 inv/chgr.

Yeah, with the 2012. one or the other would be appropriate. I replaced my ME2012 with the MS2812 and can now run two constant and I have seen the toaster work too, but that wasn't on purpose. -Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 10:45 PM   #25

People usually prefer Aeropress, but it can be inefficient depending on the journey and the number of people. When dry camping, we have an electric grinder and espresso maker that work well with the inverter, but we also have a hand grinder. On the inverter, we used an electric kettle, which worked fine. We replaced it when it died with a Coffee Gator stovetop kettle.
If you truly require a fine grind and don't have a grinder, you should buy whole beans and have them ground at the store.
Lawrence C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 11:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence C View Post
we have an electric grinder
What grinder do you use? I don't want to lug my Mazzer with me, but I do lug my Gaggia along. Pre-grinding has not worked out for me. I'd like to find a small grinder that does a fairly good job.
TiffinUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 06:01 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
I travel with this one and use it at home every day. It has given me 3+ years of good service so far. Best grinder I have owned to date. Barzatta Virtuoso
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 07:32 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeW View Post
Those are two very high amperage appliances. While the Inverter will allow you to run them for a short time, you will hit the battery bank hard. You have a 10 KW generator, turn it on for a few minutes when powering that kind of load. The appliances will be happier, and as a side benefit the battery bank gets a quick little boost.
I agree. Those appliances take a lot of juice. Run your generator. It likes to run anyway. Jeff
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coffee