Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2021, 05:53 PM   #1

Coffee maker and Microwave

We have a 2020 Allegro Bus 40 AP While dry camping we cannot run our coffee maker with the inverter, never had an inverter before but have friends who use there all the time. we also cannot run the micro wave anyone else had problems with this or can enlighten us on possible remedies.
1jamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2021, 06:01 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
How many watts do the appliances use and how many watts is the inverter?
Old 07-31-2021, 07:39 PM   #3

Looking at the Tiffin website, looks like you have a 2.8 Kw pure sine wave inverter with 6 house batteries. You should absolutely have most of your outlets powered by your inverter, and your microwave too.

My guess is you simply have not ďturned onĒ the inverter.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:38 PM   #4

Batteries fully charged?

Coffee maker works from battery for me but not a full pot. Microwave not a chance on battery.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:42 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Watch the bank voltage as you try and use the inverter. I've got a feeling that it drops very quickly under load.

Time to look at the health of your battery bank. What is your state of charge and voltage of the bank? When was the last time you checked electrolyte levels? Have you checked individual battery voltages? Any corrosion on any of the terminals?
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:53 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Those are two very high amperage appliances. While the Inverter will allow you to run them for a short time, you will hit the battery bank hard. You have a 10 KW generator, turn it on for a few minutes when powering that kind of load. The appliances will be happier, and as a side benefit the battery bank gets a quick little boost.
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:16 AM   #7

I run my cheap Kurig machine and microwave all the time on the inverter. Itís 3000W continuous rated, which is 25A at 120V, so either load is half or less of itís rating. 12A at 120V for 5 minutes is something like 10Ah (plus inverter losses) from the battery. 120A (plus losses) from the battery, though, so your battery or bank of batteries need to be able to support that for the duration.

My inverter/charger has little breaker reset buttons, on the side against the wall. Took a while to figure that out the first time one of them tripped due to overload. You might want to test/reset those, or whatever protection it has. They donít look tripped when they are.

Oh, and that stellar wiring job is factory. I moved the inverter to clean a mess the dog made in the middle of the night on the last trip, and this is what I found. But you can see those three black reset buttons in the corner. Until I looked in the manual, Iíd have never known they were even there since that side is only an inch off the side wall, under the jack knife couch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11E6F057-8437-4D48-BD0B-C30270FBEA2A.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	390.9 KB
ID:	337984  
Old 08-01-2021, 09:01 PM   #8

May have bad batteries, as the inverter should run either of those units with no issue.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 01:47 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Check the inverter cut out voltage setting, my coach had it set to 12.2V from the factory. If you read the inverter manual you will find the setting should be lower. There will be to settings, one for instantaneous and one for averaged over a minute or so. Your instantaneous voltage is dropping low on those high loads. I can run the microwave or coffee pot on batteries with no issues and expect I have a similar factory setup to yours with 600AH FLA batteries.
GypsyCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:17 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
How many watts do the appliances use and how many watts is the inverter?
And, how many other items are using electricity when trying to use these appliance? If your inverter is 2000 watts, either appliance can use up a major part of that. Microwave could be in the range of 1100 to 1250 watts.
Add a TV, refrigerator, lights, laptop plugged in, etc. - you definitely could overload the inverter.
JohnCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:46 AM   #11

The 1st question to answer is: are the outlets for the coffee maker and microwave powered by the inverter? It is not uncommon for those outlets to be supplied from (shore power or generator) only since they both draw a large number of amps and can quickly draw down your batteries. I had to run a new line from my inverter to enable my inverter to power my residential refrigerator that was originally only supplied by 120v or propane. I use the inverter as the secondary source of power when not on shore power or running the generator (through transfer switching), primarily while traveling and the alternator can charge the house batteries to compensate for the inverter draw.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:37 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jamn View Post
We have a 2020 Allegro Bus 40 AP While dry camping we cannot run our coffee maker with the inverter, never had an inverter before but have friends who use there all the time. we also cannot run the micro wave anyone else had problems with this or can enlighten us on possible remedies.
Your countertop outlets should be on the inverter and should be capable of running a coffee maker or microwave. Something is amiss with the inverter, perhaps as mentioned, the settings are off.
That’s not to say the outlets may have been miswired by the factory. Are the outlets “hot” at all when dry camping? If not, they then are not wired correctly at the main breaker panel.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:39 PM   #13

thanks all for the feedback. We re-set the inverter voltage drop out and that seems to have fixed the problem at least on the trial run in the garage, crossing fingers I don't have to wait until 8:00am to get a cup of coffee. thanks
1jamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 04:15 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I went through the same thing and it was the LVCO. If you have a battery monitor you can set it to a % SOC instead of voltage. In the long run, microwaves and coffee makers take a big chunk of battery power. If I want to be quiet, I use propane cooktop, tea pot, and a pour-over coffee maker.

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, M&G 2.0 Proportional Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coffee