Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2021, 08:24 AM   #29

Coleman Blower Fan

We have two air conditioners on our 2015 Thor Tuscany. The blower fan on the front unit disintegrated a couple of months ago. We bought two because we're sure the rear unit will do the same thing. We live in Florida and have been told the heat and age has a lot to do with these things coming apart.
Pikey1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2021, 08:44 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey1953 View Post
We live in Florida and have been told the heat and age has a lot to do with these things coming a part.
Heat and age...I doubt it. We had one come apart at 18 months.

I now have two spare blowers.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:24 AM   #31

Mach 8 defective design

I have a 2016 Tiffin Red with Coleman Mach 8 AC units front and rear. Tiffin said this a common failure and my front one was repaired under warrantee. The fan came apart on the front one that allowed the unit to rip itself off the vibration isolation units and thrash around. Luckily, I shut it off soon enough so it didn't tear into the cooling fines.
My rear one started to make a lot of noise last year, Aug 2020. So I went on the roof and took the cover off. I had my wife start the AC while I watched. The fan blades grew in diameter to allow it to contact the other parts. I called Coleman and explained the situation telling them it appears they have a problem with the fans. They said they couldn't warrant the unit, as it was past the date, but would provide me with a new "kit" for free. Unfortunately, they didn't have any in stock... supply chain delay. I got it four months later.
They know they have a design flaw.
1rapidron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:08 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rapidron View Post
I have a 2016 Tiffin Red with Coleman Mach 8 AC units front and rear. Tiffin said this a common failure and my front one was repaired under warrantee. The fan came apart on the front one that allowed the unit to rip itself off the vibration isolation units and thrash around. Luckily, I shut it off soon enough so it didn't tear into the cooling fines.

My rear one started to make a lot of noise last year, Aug 2020. So I went on the roof and took the cover off. I had my wife start the AC while I watched. The fan blades grew in diameter to allow it to contact the other parts. I called Coleman and explained the situation telling them it appears they have a problem with the fans. They said they couldn't warrant the unit, as it was past the date, but would provide me with a new "kit" for free. Unfortunately, they didn't have any in stock... supply chain delay. I got it four months later.

They know they have a design flaw.

So what was in the “kit”?
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:26 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
So what was in the “kit”?
jt
A fan blade, 3 new vibration isolators, and a blower mounting bracket. I don't know if the newer Mach 8 units have been upgraded. If I hear my AC making increased noise, I will be up on the roof to remove the cover and see if the fan blade is growing in diameter as the other one was. I have a spare fan blade.
1rapidron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:56 AM   #34

Smile

I've replaced five of the blower wheels in the last 4 years. I now carry two spares because last summer a "replacement" self destructed about 3 seconds after I installed it ... leaving me with one AC unit in the middle of desert Utah. The adventure continues.
candemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:04 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rapidron View Post
A fan blade, 3 new vibration isolators, and a blower mounting bracket. I don't know if the newer Mach 8 units have been upgraded. If I hear my AC making increased noise, I will be up on the roof to remove the cover and see if the fan blade is growing in diameter as the other one was. I have a spare fan blade.
That’s the condenser fan on the Mach not the squirrel cage fan they’re talking about on here.
J Gunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:52 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Coleman AC Squrrel cage fan failures

I have a real suspicion that operating these rooftop air conditioners while traveling upwards of 55 - 75 mph, is a likely cause for the failures. That squrrel cage was nevet intended to face such high winds that create extreme forcedms onto the blades. Some one at the AC manufacturer should be contacted
And provide a professional answer. Guessing is not useful. My 3 fans are 10 years old, no issues.???
jerryd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:57 PM   #37

I have had the same problem, 2 out of 3 units....

I carry a spare.

The part is available on Amazon,,,,, seems its a big seller!
Old 10-19-2021, 04:05 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryd13 View Post
I have a real suspicion that operating these rooftop air conditioners while traveling upwards of 55 - 75 mph, is a likely cause for the failures. That squrrel cage was nevet intended to face such high winds that create extreme forcedms onto the blades. Some one at the AC manufacturer should be contacted
And provide a professional answer. Guessing is not useful. My 3 fans are 10 years old, no issues.???
The squirrel cage fan doesn’t see any air while you’re moving. It’s inside the unit and circulates inside air, no outside does it see.
J Gunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:52 AM   #39

I have experienced 2 blower wheel failures
I want to Purchase a replacement and a spare
Where do. you buy replacements?
Travelers3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:55 AM   #40

I have a failed blower wheel
Where did you purchase a replacement
Travelers3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 02:07 PM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by robiwan View Post
Hi, I have 3 Coleman AC/HP (model 47074A879) on top. 3 months ago rear unit had the plastic blower fan cage break into little pieces while running in AC mode. I replaced the blower fan and so far no issues. Last night the front unit did the same thing while running in heat pump mode. It started to destroy itself when it first started up after numerous start/stops to keep temperature at constant 70 degrees. Has anyone else had this issue? When these units start up, is there a lot of torque that might cause the shaft to "bend" a little causing plastic blower fan to contact something?
TIA, Scott
I had my fan blades blow as well, I have since installed a soft start on the forward unit
m.donatelli6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:53 PM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
the Squirrel cages go alot. Mine lasted 6 years and then 3 went in 6 months. Always keep a spare on hand.....SNAFU
KingCruzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coleman, ems, fan