Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2021, 10:31 AM   #1

Coleman blower fans destroying themselves

Hi, I have 3 Coleman AC/HP (model 47074A879) on top. 3 months ago rear unit had the plastic blower fan cage break into little pieces while running in AC mode. I replaced the blower fan and so far no issues. Last night the front unit did the same thing while running in heat pump mode. It started to destroy itself when it first started up after numerous start/stops to keep temperature at constant 70 degrees. Has anyone else had this issue? When these units start up, is there a lot of torque that might cause the shaft to "bend" a little causing plastic blower fan to contact something?
TIA, Scott
robiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2021, 10:43 AM   #2

Lost one on a Mach 8, 6 years old. Believe it to be caused by imbalance of plastic molding process and continual spinning--will self-destruct at some point. Only fix is to replace and wait for it to come apart again. May be some metal replacement fans for some units, but not much hope they would be balanced.
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 10:43 AM   #3

The permanent split-capacitor (PSC) motors on typical roof A/C fans output pretty low startup torque, so I doubt itís that. Could just be age, depending on the plastic used in them.

Edit: Or in light of what wingnut60 said above, millions of rotations with a little bit of unbalance.
Old 10-09-2021, 11:12 AM   #4

Thanks for the quick response! The old Tiffinator is 7 years old, so maybe its just the way it is. I will purchase 2 this time, waiting for the 3rd unit to implode.
robiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 04:01 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
This actually a pretty common occurrence for the Mach 8's. I have replaced all 3 of mine. Two occurred within a 3 month window. Seems you might get lucky to get 4 years out of them. I have a friend who is a plastic's engineer and he see's the flaw in these squirrel cages. Apparently where the blades meet the inner and outer rings lack whats known as a relief radius. This will be the failure zones. I am not an engineer but makes sense to me. Made in China, what do you expect. Keep a spare in the coach, you will need it.
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 05:13 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
I also have Mach 8 ACs and I’ve had to replace the squirrel cage at least three times, once when the rig was on only two years old.

My local Mobil RV tech told me it was very common and he carries spares for them his vehicle. Beginning to wonder about the Coleman Mach 8 seems to have several issues.

Nick
2014 Allegro Red
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 05:33 PM   #7

Had the same problem on the mach 8. It started with a slight tapping noise which I quickly traced to the fan. However, I put it on my maintenance list to replace at a later time. BAD DECISION! It shattered and did extensive damage to the housing. Nothing that a sheet metal repair couldn't fix but the damage could have been avoided!

Bil
03 American Tradition
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 07:21 PM   #8

Curious if you run the A/Cís while driving?
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 07:32 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
We certainly do but the squirrel cages went nuts while we were in a CG, sound asleep. The noise will scare the hell out if you.

Nick
2014 Allegro Red
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:33 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Are you sure the motor bushings are in good shape? On one of our Mach 8 ACs, the rubber bushing started to break down. That causes the squirrel cage to not run true, trashing it.

Unfortunately, I've not seen the bushings anywhere.
Old 10-10-2021, 07:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
We certainly do but the squirrel cages went nuts while we were in a CG, sound asleep. The noise will scare the hell out if you.

Nick

2014 Allegro Red

The reason I asked is I read that there is a strong correlation between squirrel cage fan failure and running them while driving. Sitting still, they just spin. However, driving will bounce them around a bit just due to the roads.

I currently carry three spares.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:33 AM   #12

Would stand to reason the cage would be under more stress running while traveling over while stationary. Enough to make a difference--who knows?
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:42 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have two Mach 8s in out 5er and only used while stationary. When the front unit was 2 years old, the evaporator blower cracked and shook like mad. Outer rim cracked. Luckily the mobile tech had a bad unit in his shop and pulled the blower for me. I tracked down a place in Ohio with the blowers and I now have two spare blowers.

If you have the Mach 8s I strongly suggest you carry a spare blower..

Ken
Old 10-11-2021, 02:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Curious if you run the A/C’s while driving?
Living in Florida... ALWAYS!

Running your generator and AC units is safe and more cost efficient than running the dash AC.

Bill
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coleman, ems, fan