Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2021, 01:37 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Question Condensate Leak into Rear Basement Compartment

We have a 2015 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBHc currently living in it full time, and discovered the passenger side rear storage compartment was soaked with water. Removed everything stored and looked for water leak location. Water was following the conduit and wire lines from up above and dripping into the compartment. Discovered through a process of elimination that it was coming from the front and the rear A/C condensate lines running through the ceiling space all the way to the rear of the RV next to the engine compartment. Obviously we can't take out the ceiling without a major expense to find the leak in the condensate lines. Our thought is to insert a smaller line into the existing rubber drain lines and see if that can solve our problem. Any similar experience and solution(s) would be most helpful.
DSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2021, 02:00 PM   #2

That might work if you can get the new tubing past the crack/break in the existing tubing. good luck. Stan

2021 Tiffin Allegro Bus 35cp, 2014 Cadillac SRX toad
36PFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 02:01 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
There is probably some connector there that they connect when they put the roof on the rv. Might be bad. See if you can spot it. Other than that remove the condensate pump and let it drip on the roof of the RV or snake a smaller line inside of the one that is there now
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 04:23 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSquared View Post
We have a 2015 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBHc currently living in it full time, and discovered the passenger side rear storage compartment was soaked with water. Removed everything stored and looked for water leak location. Water was following the conduit and wire lines from up above and dripping into the compartment. Discovered through a process of elimination that it was coming from the front and the rear A/C condensate lines running through the ceiling space all the way to the rear of the RV next to the engine compartment. Obviously we can't take out the ceiling without a major expense to find the leak in the condensate lines. Our thought is to insert a smaller line into the existing rubber drain lines and see if that can solve our problem. Any similar experience and solution(s) would be most helpful.
Your snaking plan might work but I'm skeptical, especially because there must be a tee fitting somewhere that connects the two condensate lines. It would be impossible to push a new line past that.

If I were you, I'd disconnect the existing condensate lines from the two AC unit's condensate pumps and run new lines along the roof. You could either let the lines just drain onto the roof or run them along the side or back of the coach close to the ground. If you allow the condensate to pump onto the roof, it will drop off your rain gutters which may not be desirable.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:58 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Our 2014 Allegro Bus 37AP has 3 lines, 1 for each AC, and it sounds like you have the same setup, only with 2 lines. Home run lines from point A to point B.

Therefore, I think the smaller tube inside is your best solution. I don't think the volume of water will be an issue with the smaller hose. And if the failure is because of chaffing, the new line will have plenty of protection.

You could try the electrician trick. If the tube inside the engine area, where my lines terminate, moves up when you pull on it from the AC then you could attach a new line and pull it thru. In this case, rather than using duct tape to connect new to old, I would get a rib fitting to fit inside both tubes. I'd probably glue the heck out of it as well - don't want it to come apart half ways. And 1 wrap of gorilla tape or clear packing tape so there is no ridge between the 2 hoses.

Best of luck. Tell us how it goes.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:35 AM   #6

If I understand correctly, you are getting condensate only after the rear cap, i.e., there are no issues in the rear bath ceiling? I would personally look with a borescope first to see if I could find the leak and then formulate a plan from there.

Hard to believe both lines are leaking at the same time. Are you sure your rear cap joint is sealed? I have the same coach and check mine twice per year.

The lines are PEX so snaking a smaller line from the A/C down might be doable simply by feeding it in from the top. Cut the new hose at a 45 degree angle to help with any corners.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:29 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Condensate Leak into Rear Basement Compartment

We ran the tube inserts into the existing condensate lines and it was quite simple, however after two days of that solution working fine we still have the leak. apparently not the condensate lines like we thought. Reply to vettenuts, the rear cap may be the problem. Is the gap where water might be entering fairly evident on the roof top or do we need to caulk the entire length of the joint? I will also try the scope to see if we can trace any signs of moisture up above the engine compartment. Thank all of you for your responses. Hope to solve this problem soon and will let you all know what we discover.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:38 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wondering if a line got stapled during construction and now the staple has rusted away leaving a hole.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:45 PM   #9

Here is a link to someone on YouTube who does a lot of roof work. They did a seven part series on a Tiffin Red that was in an accident and they actually put a front cap on from another coach that had a fire. He shows how the cap is held in place and sealed in the video series. Might be worth some time watching to figure out how to approach your problem. I would also call Tiffin and verify what is used to seal the cap. Donít use Dicor for anything on a Tiffin. He also explains this in another video.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azrvexpert

One question I do have before you get too far is where is the drip, is it near the rear bathroom vent? If so, check this video. I did all three of mine over the summer, one had previously leaked and was incorrectly fixed with Dicor. The rear bath leaked into the screws but didnít get into the ceiling.

https://youtu.be/VONjEPJTyQs
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 11:59 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You donít mention if this leak occurs only when ACs are running or if it has rained.
This would make a difference on where to look for the water intrusion.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 12:33 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
You donít mention if this leak occurs only when ACs are running or if it has rained.
This would make a difference on where to look for the water intrusion.

glad you asked. while reading this I wondered the same.
Part Timers-Looking Fwd to being Anytimers
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:12 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Condensate Leak into Rear Basement Compartment

Because of the heat and torrential downpours we have had over the last month (NE Maryland) we are not sure. but for a couple of cooler days the AC units did not run and we had no rain. still had a slow drip into the compartment. Led us to believe it was not the AC condensation units causing the problem. Had a guy show up with a camera scope and saw some moisture following the conduit(s) running from above. Went back into the engine compartment and those conduits run up towards the roof and disappear into the rear wall of the coach. That is as far as we were able to go at this point. We will try and get an extension to the camera scope and see if we can get back into that compartment. That compartment space seems to be between the rear wall of the coach and behind the closet at the back of the coach. Seems like it is a blank space between the engine compartment and the closet space????. That's where we are at this point. If I can get a couple of photos and post them it might help....if I can figure out how to do that. Your interest and concern are heartening. Thanks!!
Old 09-29-2021, 06:06 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Angry Condensate Leak into Rear Basement Compartment

Just a quick note. Response to suggestion from vettenuts it is narrowing down to leaks at one or more vents in the unit and following the conduit(s) running towards the rear basement compartment IMHO. I will keep you posted.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:21 AM   #14

I had a leak in my middle A/C that was coming out the vents in the kitchen. I thought it was the condensate pump or the drain lines. I took it apart and it worked as it should. What I found was there is a filter/sponge where the water runs from the condenser into the condensate pump holding tank and it needed cleaning. Cleaned it and haven't had an issue since.

Mine is a 2010 so yours may be different.

I did end up replacing the front and rear pumps though because they didn't work, but no leaks from them.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, rear