Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2019, 07:05 PM   #1

Considering Other RV Brands

I have a 2009 Phaeton QTH and we have been pleased with it. I am considering upgrading to a 2013-2016 RV. I’ve always thought of myself as a Tiffin guy. I am considering other brands because I can no longer get factory service because my coach is 10 years old. I know Tiffin is selling a lot of RV’s but they are also generating a lot of revenue. Tiffin is the only manufacturer that I am aware of that has this policy. I plan to start my search soon. I am considering Newmar, American coach and Entegra. I don’t have them ranked. Any feedback on the brands mentioned will be helpful. Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2019, 07:16 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Why do you think you have to have “factory” service!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark1 View Post
I have a 2009 Phaeton QTH and we have been pleased with it. I am considering upgrading to a 2013-2016 RV. I’ve always thought of myself as a Tiffin guy. I am considering other brands because I can no longer get factory service because my coach is 10 years old. I know Tiffin is selling a lot of RV’s but they are also generating a lot of revenue. Tiffin is the only manufacturer that I am aware of that has this policy. I plan to start my search soon. I am considering Newmar, American coach and Entegra. I don’t have them ranked. Any feedback on the brands mentioned will be helpful. Thanks!
There are many former Tiffin employees here in Red Bay that have started their own business servicing and upgrades to Tiffin coaches. We have a friend traveling with us whose Tiffin coach is 12 years old. But he comes here to Red Bay to get his coach “serviced” by these guys. This is our second Tiffin and in the consideration in purchasing our second coach, none other came to mind except Tiffin!
I guess Newmar or those other Big manufacturers have their own network but these guys are top notch in our book!
They all have their faults and none are perfect. Good luck in your decision in your next purchase.
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:58 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Which other Brands do factory service after 10 years?
Brianb131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:11 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianb131 View Post
Which other Brands do factory service after 10 years?
I am curious about this as well. My feeling is you will be hard pressed to find any. Maybe the ultra high end manufacturers, Prevost, Foretravel, Newell, but not many others. I have no knowledge of this, just an assumption on my part.
I also, know of no other manufacturer that has somewhere like Red Bay where there are so many businesses that work on a specific brand with so many manufacturer specific experts that will work on your coach.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:57 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We just recently had our Winnebago Forza serviced at the factory. The factory does fantastic work, quickly, accurately, and efficiently. We had been thinking of Tiffin, but instead opted for our Winnie, and are very happy with it. Winnebago has two factory service centers one at their factory in Forest City, Iowa, and one in Junction City Oregon.

While they do take walk ins, they are so busy that you may be waiting days before they can work you in. The scheduling appointments 3-4 months out. If you schedule an appointment, everything is smooth as silk.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:47 AM   #6

I think Entegra has mobile service down in Florida, because I've seen them several times. I'm not a big fan of having to take Motorhomes back to the factory. I have had good luck finding mobile service techs. Dave
Old 09-15-2019, 10:06 AM   #7
GKU

I was at the Newmar Service Center last week getting work done.
Parked next to me was a 2002 Mountain Aire, he was there getting his Coach worked on.
GKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:20 AM   #8

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
Maybe the ultra high end manufacturers, Prevost, Foretravel, Newell, but not many others. I have no knowledge of this, just an assumption on my part.
Yes... the Foretravel/Newell & Prevost converters will service/repair/rebuild ANY year of their respective coaches.. and it is very seldom that they do not have the parts on hand or cannot source them for you.
( I saw '74,a '86 & a '89 in for service the last time I was in Nacogdoces (Tx)
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:01 AM   #9

My brother in law had a 2005 Dutch Star and no issues with getting it serviced at Newmar. He now has a 2014 Dutch Star. I live in central Florida and I have been to three different RV dealerships. I have not been satisfied with their quality of work. I can get my Freightliner chassis serviced in the area but I prefer to go to Gaffney each year because I am satisfied with their quality of work. Just my perspective.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #10

Was in the same boat......

We had a 2011 Tiffin and heard of the "10 year age policy". We found the IP floorplan of the Allegro Bus was best for us after we looked at Aspire, Dutch Star, Phaeton and Allegro Bus models. I have posted on this forum our decision criteria if you want to read it.

When I think about the materials and parts that are in 10+ year old coaches, I would think exact parts could be very hard to get and there is likely price gouging from sellers of those old parts. Tiffin cannot possibly keep an inventory of every part ever put into coaches and had to draw a line somewhere.

Our experience with the Red Bay Service Center (with both out of warranty and in warranty coaches) has been superb. Our 2019 coach had some minor items to get fixed and we were within 100 miles of Red Bay on a trip. We got them taken care of as well as getting some "nice to have items".
heathtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKU View Post
I was at the Newmar Service Center last week getting work done.
Parked next to me was a 2002 Mountain Aire, he was there getting his Coach worked on.
That may be changing soon. Winnebago just bought Newmar :(
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:11 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to gordons1
Tiffin support is not the same....

Winnebago services their coaches for their entire life.....the original Winnies are still abe to get parts and service at Forrest City. They are able to custom manufacture plastic parts.

Tiffin is making a grave error by ignoring customers with the older coaches.....bad mistake.

A recent shake up occurred a few weeks ago; Tim is no longer company President. He is running Winfield production (class C on the Sprinter chassis) as he had done originally. Apparently he has been replaced by two respected senior managers who are "co-managing the function". This has not been reported to the general public to the best of my knowledge.
gordons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:49 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fleetwood Discovery?

Where does the Fleetwood Discovery rank? Looks like on the surface it's sharing the same market space as the Phaeton. Always heard a lot about Tiffin , Quality and Service but things seem quiet on the Discovery front. Who out there has done the research and compared both? Where do they stand against each other.
The Phaeton 40IH and the Discovery 40M for example seem comparable. What do you all say?
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:07 PM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
Discovery vs Phaeton

Phaeton has way better quality than Discovery I compared both a few months ago and wouldnt buy a discovery. Everybody has their own wants and needs.
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote