Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2019, 11:13 PM   #1

Considering Tiffin Allegro Red 36BA - Concerns

We've narrowed our search down to a couple models - Tiffin Allegro Red 36BA or Newman Ventana (or LE) 3709. Both have very similar floorplans. I have a few concerns regarding the Tiffin and would appreciate anyone weighing in with thoughts.

- There is carpeting on the kitchen slide. I admit it, I am a terribly messy cook and am concerned that it will get quickly soiled.
- The windows are single pane (albeit a thicker single pane). My understanding is that both the noise reduction and the insulation value are not as good as double panes (like in the Newmar)
- The dinette with computer workstation (as I am still working) has a fixed table. I would much rather have a free standing table so I can move it into an L-shape when working and be able to reach more of the surface space.
- The standard floor is a polished porcelain. We have small dogs and am concerned it would be slippery (and we do not want to use area rugs).
- No equivalent to Comfort Drive in the Newmar. While my husband will likely do most of the driving, I would also like to be comfortable driving it in both good and bad conditions. In other words, I don't want to have to muscle the wheel.

More minor concerns:
- The windows are slide (as opposed to mid-hinge in Newmar) and therefore can't open as far or in the rain.
- Similar to windows, I've read that the Tiffin roof is noisier such as while raining (as opposed to the Newmar roof with traditional insulation).
- There is carpeting (light colored from what I remember) in the storage bays, with concern again about getting dirty.
- No work table for the passenger seat
hoppinalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2019, 03:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppinalong View Post
We've narrowed our search down to a couple models - Tiffin Allegro Red 36BA or Newman Ventana (or LE) 3709. Both have very similar floorplans. I have a few concerns regarding the Tiffin and would appreciate anyone weighing in with thoughts.

- There is carpeting on the kitchen slide. I admit it, I am a terribly messy cook and am concerned that it will get quickly soiled.
- The windows are single pane (albeit a thicker single pane). My understanding is that both the noise reduction and the insulation value are not as good as double panes (like in the Newmar)
- The dinette with computer workstation (as I am still working) has a fixed table. I would much rather have a free standing table so I can move it into an L-shape when working and be able to reach more of the surface space.
- The standard floor is a polished porcelain. We have small dogs and am concerned it would be slippery (and we do not want to use area rugs).
- No equivalent to Comfort Drive in the Newmar. While my husband will likely do most of the driving, I would also like to be comfortable driving it in both good and bad conditions. In other words, I don't want to have to muscle the wheel.

More minor concerns:
- The windows are slide (as opposed to mid-hinge in Newmar) and therefore can't open as far or in the rain.
- Similar to windows, I've read that the Tiffin roof is noisier such as while raining (as opposed to the Newmar roof with traditional insulation).
- There is carpeting (light colored from what I remember) in the storage bays, with concern again about getting dirty.
- No work table for the passenger seat
You mean the 37BA. We considered the two same models before making our decision to go with the Tiffin. Will be placing an order for a 2020 in the next 6 weeks for a January pick up when I fully retire.

Many of your concerns are specific to you and you must consider them and how you will use the coach. My wife wanted the single pane windows since there is no chance of fogging like in the double pane windows. We are also opting for the computer workstation with fixed table. Regarding the steering looking into steering stabilizers such as the Safe T Steer or some other product, there are threads on this forum regarding their benefits. Not sure if you are looking for the 2020 model or a leftover 2019. If you are looking at the 2020 I have posted the new color décor sheet, there are some color differences in the new model.

Best of luck!!!
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:00 AM   #3
KJR

We considered Newmar and Tiffin. We are full timers so floorplan is the highest priority since we are living in the coach more than driving the coach. We also don’t have unlimited resources so it was either Tiffin Red or Newmar Ventana Le..

There are features we like on Newmar, some which have been mentioned, we like more than Tiffin. I’ve test driven a Newmar, 3426, with Comfort Drive but couldn’t tell if it was any better than a non equipped coach due to the length of test drive. Maybe if I had more time behind the wheel of both steering types I’d be able to come to a better conclusion.

We ended up ordering a 2019 Tiffin 37pa which should be delivered by late summer. We didn’t want to wait for 2020 due to price increases. The floorplan, decor color and patterns, kitchen, living room and bedroom livability concerns were most important and Tiffin, for us, came out on top.

KJR
KJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:08 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppinalong View Post

- There is carpeting on the kitchen slide. I admit it, I am a terribly messy cook and am concerned that it will get quickly soiled. Unless you are really sloppy, the carpet areas are minimal.
- The windows are single pane (albeit a thicker single pane). My understanding is that both the noise reduction and the insulation value are not as good as double panes (like in the Newmar)The thick single panes are almost as good as the double pane windows. Tiffin has done these for years and the results are pretty good. (I had both types in my Tiffins.)
- The dinette with computer workstation (as I am still working) has a fixed table. I would much rather have a free standing table so I can move it into an L-shape when working and be able to reach more of the surface space.The table isn't completely fixed. It slides in and out from table for two to a table for 4.
- The standard floor is a polished porcelain. We have small dogs and am concerned it would be slippery (and we do not want to use area rugs).The polish porcelain is surprisingly not slippery. Your dogs will do fine and so will you.
- No equivalent to Comfort Drive in the Newmar. While my husband will likely do most of the driving, I would also like to be comfortable driving it in both good and bad conditions. In other words, I don't want to have to muscle the wheel.Lots of different opinions on this but is Comfort Drive was so great, why is Newmar the only company that has adopted it? It has been off patent for a number of years now. Lots of extra money for variable power steering assist.

More minor concerns:
- The windows are slide (as opposed to mid-hinge in Newmar) and therefore can't open as far or in the rain.Hinged windows prevent air circulation. Sliding is much better.
- Similar to windows, I've read that the Tiffin roof is noisier such as while raining (as opposed to the Newmar roof with traditional insulation).Minor consideration and no data to support this person's claim.
Anyway, who cares?

- There is carpeting (light colored from what I remember) in the storage bays, with concern again about getting dirty.It's storage (and gray) and again it's like the trunk of your car - not a big area of concern.
- No work table for the passenger seat There should be a pull out table from the dash area in front of the passenger. There's been one there for years in Tiffin coaches.
See my answers to your questions in RED.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:47 AM   #5

Full timing in a rig with a dog I can tell you the carpet will look like sh.. in a couple of years. My biggest regret is having carpet in a rig with a dog. The dog has since moved on but the carpet is still there and needs to be replaced. Dogs will track al kinds of stuff into the rig and carpet. You can not clean and dry them enough to stop the wear.

Agree the double pane windows are not worth it. I have several that now have broken seals and need to be addressed.

In rain and noise areas I can tell you the roof is better in the newmar. Have good friends with the Tiffan and every morning after it rains they complain about the roof noise. I have none. Only you can decide if this is an issue. People get used to it.

I have the free standing table and love it along with the computer station. When we got rig I had mixed emotions about it. In the end you get used to what you have.

Good luck with your purchase.

Enjoy the journey

Tags
allegro, tiffin