Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #1

Continuation but change in direction from Roll

I originally posted the Howdy I'm a newbee with a question about my experience looking at and comparing a Allegro Bus vs. an Ambassador. I went prepared to make an offer on the Bus but found the coach a mess inside and left the dealers lot disappointed. Now the dealer has upped the ante and I’m looking for more feedback.

Here’s the subject coach:

2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP model;
Freightliner chassis;
Cummins 400 HP engine with side radiator;
12500 miles/14.5 hours on the generator.

This rig obviously was driven little and by the condition of the interior, was lived in for a considerable amount of time with hookups (low gen hours).

The outside appears to be new and is in very good condition.

Options:

Independent Front suspension;
In motion sat;
Side view cameras;
Keyless entry;
Bsmt slideout tray;
Outside 24” TV;
Sirius radio;
32” LCD TV over cab;
Drawer dishwasher;
Ultra leather bed;
Kind bed;
Select comfort Mattress

Repair/parts/cleaning and touchup needed:

new Washer/dryer (Original is missing)
new proper sized tires all around Coach should have 80 series but instead has a set of 70 series.
missing lower ladder segment.
new main awning (current main awning has damage on both ends)
replace/repair bits and pieces like the central vacuum system and drivers switches, whatever might be missing (I may not have found all the defects)
complete cleaning/detailing inside,
touch up on damaged woodwork,
deodorize coach

They also told me they had installed a new water heater the day after I left.
They also installed new coach and chassis batteries (which I confirmed when I examined the coach).

They lowered the price by $20K into or very close to a range I would be willing to pay.

Question: Is the Allegro Bus such a fine coach that with these repairs, (they are willing to fix everything listed above as needing work), it is worth taking a gamble that I will get good service for a number of years?

I am concerned of course, with the low amount of use and age of the rig. The concern is that seals will leak from lack of use and I will be pouring money into the coach to constantly fix systems that will fail for all kinds of reasons.

Assuming that the price is reasonable, (about $140K) and that they fix everything I found wrong, and that they confirm all systems are currently working, would you go for such a coach or keep looking?

Thanks for suffering through my long post. J

Roll
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #2

Just a thought, with all those things wrong with this coach, it appears that the previous owners did not maintain the coach. I would be concerned with what else is wrong that will go undetected until it is driven and used.

Do they have the maintenance records? I would want to insure the previous owner serviced the coach annually with a minimum of oil and filter changes. And, why are the tires the incorrect size. Did the previous owner do that?

Just my opinion, I would think you can find very well maintained coaches for sale without having to make so many compromises on this one.
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:20 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it has not been driven much. and more importantly lately (In the last six months to a year) expect to have issues with the brakes.. epically the master cylinder.

Now.. that said, it is not usually a major job to replace that.... But I've never done it on a motor home. Cars, Trucks and Vans yes, but never a motor home.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:40 PM   #4

That's a lot of money to take a chance on, I would definately get an independant inspection done, one that covers the coach and all it's systems and posibly a second one, assuming you don't get someone who does both, to go through the chassis. I would expect the chassis inspection to involve driving the coach. If more issues are found then you have further bargaining power if you remain interested. If it gets clean report then you have peace of mind before, and hopefully after, you sign. I believe it is money well spent, I know it was when I bought. Good luck.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Roll,
My first impression is "walk away". There are too many like coaches in excellent condition to take chance. Keep shopping.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I agree. While the Allegro Bus is a great choice (we're on our second), ANY coach that sits and doesn't get used will have issues because they are meant to be driven, not sitting there getting lot rot. It also sounds like there wasn't a whole lot of TLC or maintenance done on it plus the price isn't overly fantastic so I'd look around for another. Check out some of the ads on TiffinRVNetwork Classified Ads - Browse Ads for ideas. Some of them are overpriced but you'll still get an idea what is out there and most of them are in really nice shape.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote