Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2017, 11:06 AM   #1

Cracked

My wife and I are new to full timing. We sold our house and bought a 2007 Allegro QRP. We purchased a 2.5 acre Rv lot in spring ridge estates in Newport,Wa. We are loving it so far. This morning while doing a walk around,I discovered a crack in the side wall in the top corner of the driver side where the opening for the slide is. Any suggestions on what to do until I can have it fixed.
Other than that,everything is great.
Thanks in advance
lowespot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2017, 11:12 AM   #2

Not an unusual problem. I had a similar problem in a 40' 2008 Bus. Tiffin opened the crack a bit further with a grinder and put a piece of trim over it. Ran the Bus 75,000 miles before we traded it, and never had another problem with it.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:12 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If your concern is water getting in, and you're having it fixed soon, Use a strip of waterproof tape.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowespot View Post
My wife and I are new to full timing. We sold our house and bought a 2007 Allegro QRP. We purchased a 2.5 acre Rv lot in spring ridge estates in Newport,Wa. We are loving it so far. This morning while doing a walk around,I discovered a crack in the side wall in the top corner of the driver side where the opening for the slide is. Any suggestions on what to do until I can have it fixed.
Other than that,everything is great.
Thanks in advance
Pictures will help,

Any other symptoms - slide in issues?

For the fiberglass to crack - might be a broken weld on the frame?

All just guesses - might make a call to Customer Care at Allegro.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:24 AM   #5

Find some rv/marine silicon clear glue at walmart and fill in the crack as a temp solution. Tiffin parts has a strip to cover the repair. Probably any good body shop can do the fix. I has a 3 inch crack below my bedroom slide and Tiffin paid for the repair. I think the laminate warranty is 5 years. Dave
Old 10-20-2017, 12:24 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies
Old 10-20-2017, 12:36 PM   #7

I usually use butyl tape for stuff like that it’s easier to remove and more reliable than silicone, which I have a personal hate of from past experiences. Clear Gorilla tape is also an option but not sure how difficult to remove.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:37 PM   #8

I know someone with the same coach and had the same problem. They took it in to Poulsbo RV in Fife, Washington. They had to install a gusset and weld it, then they installed a strip to cover the split, looked factory. If the fiberglass is cracked something is broken.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
I know someone with the same coach and had the same problem. They took it in to Poulsbo RV in Fife, Washington. They had to install a gusset and weld it, then they installed a strip to cover the split, looked factory. If the fiberglass is cracked something is broken.
2 stroker
Sorry, but I disagree. When Tiffin first had this problem surface they tried all sorts of frame strengthening, doublers, gussets and any number of major under-structure "repairs". They finally came to the conclusion that the overall issue was simply that the entire rig flexed, and that flexing could not be really controlled. Yes, a lot of these major stiffening projects worked, but it was really a waste of time as well as a running up huge costs in manhours to fix something that only was liable to occur again and again. The only thing that was "broken" was the fiberglass skin. The underlying structure was still sound and remained sound as the units got further into their life cycle. Thus the later "non-fix" fix.

If you're concerned, I'd call the Tiffin folks and talk to some of their senior management people about your particular crack. I'd have a few pictures of the crack and any underlying structural members you can see available to email if necessary. Regardless of some of the suggested fixes recommended in this thread, the Tiffin engineers and managers are your best source of info on this type of problem.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:24 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would suggest taking pictures of the crack and email them to don.boyd@tiffinmotorhomes.com. Then give him a call at 256-356-0261 ext 3824. I'm sure he will give you sage advice.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Sorry, but I disagree. When Tiffin first had this problem surface they tried all sorts of frame strengthening, doublers, gussets and any number of major under-structure "repairs". They finally came to the conclusion that the overall issue was simply that the entire rig flexed, and that flexing could not be really controlled. Yes, a lot of these major stiffening projects worked, but it was really a waste of time as well as a running up huge costs in manhours to fix something that only was liable to occur again and again. The only thing that was "broken" was the fiberglass skin. The underlying structure was still sound and remained sound as the units got further into their life cycle. Thus the later "non-fix" fix.

If you're concerned, I'd call the Tiffin folks and talk to some of their senior management people about your particular crack. I'd have a few pictures of the crack and any underlying structural members you can see available to email if necessary. Regardless of some of the suggested fixes recommended in this thread, the Tiffin engineers and managers are your best source of info on this type of problem.
Well I did not see the inside frame that was repaired, just going by what they told me. All I know is the frame at the slide was cracked and welded. The only part I seen was the outside and the way they fixed the fiberglass look factory.
They had there coach over a week.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:01 PM   #12

Thanks for the replies