Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2019, 02:04 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Cummins Onan Generator K1 relay

My generator keeps shutting down due to K1 relay turning off fuel pump.

I can straight wire the fuel pump to 12v and all is well.

I’ve replaced the K1 relay two times today, so I don’t think it’s a batch of “bad relays”.

When I put a new K1 relay in, it’ll run for about 5 minutes and shutdown. The fuel pump won’t prime and the generator won’t start after it shuts down. Relay isn’t opening to allow fuel pump to run. I can unplug wire from 87a and fuel pump runs, generator starts and runs. I’m afraid to leave it running with the 87a wire disconnected, thinking it might be some safety feature??

The generator is a Cummins Onan 10kw, hdkca Spec E

Can someone tell me what the K1 relay does? I see from the wiring diagram the “30”wire comes from the controller board fuel pump and the 87a goes to ?G1 ALT VR? What’s the G1 ALT?

Once the relay fails and the fuel pump stops, obviously the Genny stops. And that relay won’t start the Genny again, put in new relay and it starts and runs for about 5 minutes, but now that relay won’t work anymore.
mikwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2019, 09:03 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
When I get time I'll try and look up your specific problem but in the mean time you can find the service manual here;

http://www.twinslan.net/~n0nas/manuals/onan/

also; flightsystems.com has a great troubleshooting aid. They have also been known to help through email.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:19 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds as though you believe you are burning up the relays?
Can you test to see what is happening to the relays?

test procedure;

RELAYS K1, K2, K3
These relays are secured in a row above the intake resonator (Figure 11-3) and are accessible for replacement by removing the top enclosure panel. To test a relay, apply 12 VDC across terminals 85−86 (Figure 11-5). Replace the relay if 30−87a (NO) does not close or 30−87 (NC) does not open, or either does not return to its normal position when power is removed.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:34 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
It seems like K1 is supposed to be for the HDKCA AND CD gens. Does yours charge the battery or not? Is remote connector J8-D unused? My guess is K1 is never supposed to be energized if you have CA or CB model.

From service manual;

(FAULT);

THE STARTING BATTERIES DO NOT MAINTAIN A CHARGE (Marginal battery, battery connections or charging system)

Corrective Action: Refer to Pages A-1, A-2 and A-3, as appropriate. 1. Service the battery as necessary by cleaning and tightening connections, recharging or replacing the battery or replacing damaged battery cables. 2. Models HDKCA and HDKCB − The genset starting battery is recharged by the vehicle engine or separate battery charger. Service as required. 3. Models HDKCC and HDKCD − These models have a feature whereby genset battery charging alternator G1 (p. 9-4) can be disabled, via relay K1 (p. 11-5), by connecting B+ to remote connector pin P8-D. Service the vehicle engine or separate battery charger if depended upon for recharging the genset starting battery. If genset battery charging alternator G1 is not disabled, continue with Step 4. 4. Remove the top housing panel (p. 4-4) and check for wiring continuity in the harness between charging alternator G1 and starter solenoid terminal B+ (BAT). Repair as necessary. 5. Check for proper operation of relay K1 and replace if necessary (p. 11-5). 6. Check for wiring continuity in the harness between connectors G1-VR and K1-87a. Repair as necessary. 7. Disconnect harness connector P1 from the control board (p. 11-1). Check for wiring continuity in the harness between connectors P1-24 and K1-30. Repair as necessary. Make sure connector pin sockets are not damaged or corroded and that they are fully seated and can’t be pulled out. 8. Replace battery charging alternator G1 (p. 9-4).

Tags
cummins, generator, onan