Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Does anyone see a need for the dash radio/GPS units be able to rotate left and right?
yes 4 40.00%
No 6 60.00%
Need more information 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2016, 05:09 PM   #1

Dash radio/gps unit

I would like to have my dash radio and GPS unit be able to rotate/swivel, left and right.

This would permit the passenger to be able to monitor both while traveling and swivel back to driver access, when desired.

Of all the various RV’s I have seen, none I have found permit the passenger to have easy access to these units. Rather, the manufacturers attempt to surround the driver with these additional mundane tasks, while driving. This requires the driver to briefly take his/her, eyes off the road ahead.

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF ANY MANUFACTURER OFFERS SUCH AN OPTION?

If not, then I will have to install a proto type in my 2013 Allegro 36 LA dash board and possible see if there is a market for such an option.

Thanks ahead of time for your input.
Nadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2016, 05:14 PM   #2

The GPS (not sure if the radio is integrated) on the new Winnebago Brave is on a slide bar that can be moved across the dash from the driver's side to the passenger. It's a very cool idea..........
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:04 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Better to get a separate RV GPS like Garmin RV 760. Put it wherever you want, get lifetime map updates, traffic info, and move to TOAD if desired.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:09 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
With the abundance of custom Dash Fabrications available today, you could possibly find one who could fab a large format rectangular one for you...that is, if you could afford the tab. Most likely a swivel-eye mounting that you infer, might not exist, as it assumes that a dash mounting location would need to have two persons view it from opposite directions of 130 degrees. [that being the case, a standard flat-mounted display would be the default format since it's assumed both pilot & copilot are seated within close proximity of each other.] A much wider RV cabin seating viewpoint would be an extreme unique situation to deal with & not in the mainstream of marketability.

I personally prefer my co-pilot to watch the GPS. [as mentioned above...I would buy a stand-alone GPS just for her to monitor. I just don't think it safe for me to fiddle with setting, query or doing any serious use with the unit while my attention needs to be 100% on "Driving" & watching my surrounding traffic friends.

FWIW, even your "swivel-mounting" would not place the GPS any closer to her for any manual use-of-functions without her removing her seat belt.[unless she's possibly Left-handed and can reach it with outstretched hand. My DW has to have it within eighteen inches of her eyes for her to "operate" the functions. Any further a distance from her is useless to ask her to operate. She has to have it far closer to her.
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:08 AM   #5

Reply Optional GPS

While looking at used MH's, one of them had a GPS mounted on a 12-18 inch flexible arm just to the right of the passenger seat. The man stated that his wife used it to navigate them while traveling. Being a total newbie I thought it came with the MH. I now want something similar for My rig. I have not searched the internet yet, but it does exist.
Schrader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, gps, radio