Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2011, 06:46 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Day/Night Shades

My 2006 Phaeton is equipped with day/night shades. However I have had to replace the plastic spindles that the chord runs through twice because they break when raising the shades. If it was just replacing the spindle it wouldnt be bad, but you have to restring the whole shade. Any ideas?
FoxDen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxDen1981 View Post
My 2006 Phaeton is equipped with day/night shades. However I have had to replace the plastic spindles that the chord runs through twice because they break when raising the shades. If it was just replacing the spindle it wouldnt be bad, but you have to restring the whole shade. Any ideas?
If you really don't want to restring the shade(s) there are literally hundreds of alternate choices ranging from the standard cheap vinyl venetian blinds from Home Depot to really nice roman type shades in wood or other materials - all depending on what your finances will bear. I have a day/night shade out of my 5er waiting repair. Since I'm the second owner of the unit, it has suffered painfully, including missing some of those little grommets and the end caps. It's one of the big ones in the LR area and the options that I've found make it almost worth it to try something different. JC Penny is one of the places to start.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:06 AM   #3

Restringing is indeed frustrating! I don't have the answer to that. But, here's a link to an affordable day night shade company I used after tearing a shade apart.
Blinds | Window Blinds and Shades | Custom Window Coverings
tworootless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:46 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks, I think I will investigate the house style blinds. Even if its a little expensive initally might be worth it in the long run. I plan on having this unit for a few more years, so not afraid to spend money on upgrades.
FoxDen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:28 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f52/mcd-shades-63927.html

Lots of people like these---pricey but when I decide it is time this is what we will install. Lots of ways to cut cost DIY etc;
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #6

You get roller shades direct from Tiffin. Either room darkening and/or light filtering. We just replaced our day/night shades with room darkening roller shades from Tiffin. Price was reasonable and they were easy to replace.
Contact Rita Pounds at Red Bay. She's the best.
Gouda is offline   Reply With Quote