RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2020, 09:29 AM   #1

Dead Chassis Batteries while plugged into pedestal

Quite puzzled... 2005 Phaeton been plugged in house batteries are fully charged but chassis dead. No dash lights. Aux boost would crank engine 2x then nothing.

So is on of these items worn out? Seen post s indicating a trick-l-charge would do the trick. Would that be to replace one of these?

Photo is rear most compartment in passenger side with inverter.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/D6gGvYUCrMxL3DSR8
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2020, 09:38 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I don't remember the name but there are devices that will automatically connect the battery sets when the primary set is charged. I installed one on our previous RV and it worked great. Our current one came with one installed. Shouldn't be hard to find. Perhaps someone here has a name.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:51 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like the charge solenoid is not working. And yes, folks have used a separate charger.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:56 AM   #4

Some coaches have OE installed devices to charge the chassis batteries-- many do not.

You need to contact Tiffin to find out if yours has one, and if so what it is.

THEN we can help troubleshoot your issue.

Without that information much of our speculation on how it COULD BE DONE could lead you all over the place.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:00 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
After market charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
I don't remember the name but there are devices that will automatically connect the battery sets when the primary set is charged. I installed one on our previous RV and it worked great. Our current one came with one installed. Shouldn't be hard to find. Perhaps someone here has a name.
That charger may be the "Amp-L-Start" which is what I am using on my bus.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:06 AM   #6

Yup, there are several acceptable ways that the chassis battery can be charged from 120 VAC-- a stand alone smart charger and "smart thief" devices that take power from the house bank when it is above a certain voltage are two common ones. But troubleshooting is entirely different for the two styles.

Knowing if/how yours came from the factory will allow us to address YOUR system.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:49 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
In the mean time Id disconnect the chassis batteries and put them on a charger, get them back if you can, and then maintain them. Once you solve the charging problem all will be well, but doing this might save you from buying new chassis batteries, for a while anyway.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:47 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Your '05 Phaeton may or may not have had a trickle charger from the factory. Up until the Spyder system took over charging the chassis batteries on most Tiffin coaches around 2016, they installed small 120v trickle chargers for the chassis batteries on some coaches. The boost/merge solenoid you are showing is only active when the engine is running to keep the house batteries charged, or to connect the two battery banks together for emergency start. A Trik-L-Start will work drawing power from the house side to keep the chassis charged but will only supply a small maintenance charge.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:57 PM   #9

See posts #11 and #13 in this thread.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/inverter-on-or-off-515564.html
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201122-144459.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	308961Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201122-144541.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	308962
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
A Trik-L-Start will work drawing power from the house side to keep the chassis charged but will only supply a small maintenance charge.
I beg to disagree, but only partially. My TRIK-L-START is only rated at 5 amps so it would take quite a while to fully charge a deeply discharged battery bank. When the battery it is charging is already at a high state of charge it will keep it at or very near a full charge assuming no abnormally high demands on either battery bank.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:30 PM   #11

I've only owned the coach since July, so only a few months. But I would think this issue would have come up sooner if a trickle charger or maintainer was NOT present.

So perhaps one of the items pictured failed? I replaced the one at top right to keep house batteries charged while driving.

Now I seem to have reverse. Chassis won't charge from street power.

If a maintainer such as trick-l-charge or whatever is to be added where would it go? Assuming somewhere in the below image.

Old 11-22-2020, 07:44 PM   #12

I recently installed a "Xantrex Technology Inc, 82-0123-01 Digital Echo-Charge 15A" in my motor home. They seem a bit pricey but it was given to me from a family member who no longer needed it. Looks like a nice solution to the problem.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
I've only owned the coach since July, so only a few months. But I would think this issue would have come up sooner if a trickle charger or maintainer was NOT present.

So perhaps one of the items pictured failed? I replaced the one at top right to keep house batteries charged while driving.

Now I seem to have reverse. Chassis won't charge from street power.

If a maintainer such as trick-l-charge or whatever is to be added where would it go? Assuming somewhere in the below image.

Before you start adding devices, check the voltage your house batteries are charging.

If you already have a system to keep the chassis battery charged, while on shore power, it will be voltage sensitive.

That means the house batteries have to be at 13.2 to 13.4 volts, before any bi-directional charging can happen. That's also the case with the add on devices.

If your house batteries are float charging at 13.2 volts or less, the voltage sensing devices will not connect.

Troubleshoot, don't throw parts at a problem.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Before you start adding devices, check the voltage your house batteries are charging.

If you already have a system to keep the chassis battery charged, while on shore power, it will be voltage sensitive.

That means the house batteries have to be at 13.2 to 13.4 volts, before any bi-directional charging can happen. That's also the case with the add on devices.

If your house batteries are float charging at 13.2 volts or less, the voltage sensing devices will not connect.

Troubleshoot, don't throw parts at a problem.
Interesting. I adjusted mine to 12.9 a couple of years ago and haven't had an issue until now. I'm experiencing the same issue. Dead chassis battery. I assumed the Lambert Maintainer had failed. I'll reset my charge rate to 13.2 .
I was having an overcharge issue when I first got it is the reason I said it back. I haven't started it near as often this year due to covid so maybe that's the reason for him going dead. Thanks for this tip in advance.
RaceWireTech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, chassis