Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2022, 04:06 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
DEF Container Frame Detached

Today I noticed that one side of the frame holding the DEF container is below the RV frame. A pic showing the DEF location and a close up of the DEF frame is attached.

I never noticed this before and suspect that the side of the DEF frame must have detached from the RV frame and slipped down.

What's odd is I cannot see how the frame was attached. There are clearly two tabs with threaded holes on the DEF frame, but there aren't any holes in the RV frame. Did someone forget to bolt the frames together?

I'm hoping that someone with the same configuration can have a look at their setup to see if there are holes in the RV frame with bolts to the DEF frame.

I would try to re-attach this myself, but don't have the tools, and a jack will be required to raise the DEF frame back into position.

We are currently traveling and are in Hot Springs National Park in Arkansas. There is a Freightliner dealer is in Texarkana, which is about 120 miles away, and on the route to our next stop in Sulfur Springs. I plan to drive the RV there to get this fixed. I'll wrap wire between the RV frame and the two holes to keep if from slipping further.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221031_161706.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	379961   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221031_161956.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	342.6 KB
ID:	379962  

KenTep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2022, 10:25 AM   #2

Went out to check how mine is mounted. Mine sits on a tray, but is anchored to the compartment walls on the left and right side of the tank. Can only speculate how yours might be attached.
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 11:43 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Mine is exactly the same Ken's. It sits about 4 inches below the frame and has the same two holes in the def tank frame/bracket that are not used. All of the other bolts in the back of the frame/bracket are solidly in place with no indication of any type of shifting or looseness. It's always been that way. I've also seen picturers of other 2019's with the same set up. See attached.

Name:	e60ed79a-b6a3-4e0d-bf78-31444608ee58-278.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	380021

Name:	Def tank.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	627.1 KB
ID:	380024
Old 11-01-2022, 11:53 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So, it's a plastic tank hanging down below the coach, right behind the drive wheels.
Makes one wonder how many have been cracked by flying rocks ?
DUH ????

Another one of those "what were they thinking" deals.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 12:08 PM   #5

My tank sits exactly as in the picture. Has not dropped, not visible if door is closed. 65k miles, no rock cracks. Is protected by the mud flap directly in front of it. Have not heard/read of any tanks being cracked by hits.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 12:22 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTep View Post
... I never noticed this before and suspect that the side of the DEF frame must have detached from the RV frame and slipped down...
Based on others responses, I think the tank has not slipped and this is the correct setup - the tank is cantilevered from the chassis and not attached to the outer frame. Maybe because the DEF tank is part of the Freightliner build and the outer frame holding the bottom of the cargo bays is added by Tiffin?

I did send an inquiry to Tiffin, and got the following: "Hello, the DEF does set below the frame but not that far. I would get a strap under it some how to help hold it so you can get it to Freightliner and let them look at it."

However, Rick's measurement of 4 inches from the bottom of the DEF frame to the bottom of the RV frame matches.
KenTep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 01:20 PM   #7

Possibly the framing is same for several FL chassis, just sits lower on this one?
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 11:36 AM   #8

My '19 37BA is exactly the same as OP. The poorly designed tank location is probably necessary to allow DEF to be filled into the tank. It it was mounted higher you would not be able to access the filler cap. As it is, the door spring is in the way and makes filling with a nozzle at a station nearly impossible. I bought a funnel w/ flexible hose to make it slightly easier.
TiffinUser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame