Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2018, 09:56 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
DEF fill on Curbside?

Hi. We're considering buying a used 2016 Allegro Bus, and one of the differences I noticed between the Bus and our current coach is... on the Bus the DEF tank is on the curb side of the coach, rather than the driver's side. Wouldn't this make filling the DEF tank at most truck stops a problem? And if so, how do owners deal with that?

TIA
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2018, 11:18 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Background, as I understand it from Freightliner: Orginally truck stops were to have DEF nozzles on both sides. So RV chassis builders put DEF tank on PS as less competition for real estate in the coach there (wet and electric bays, etc.). Then trucking industry changed plan to DS only DEF fill, leaving RV chassis and coach builders not enough time to make design changes. So early DEF coaches on the wrong side, more recent redesigned coaches have it on the DS or dual fill.

My coach is PS only. I simply fill from 2.5 gallon jugs. Wallmart $7.88 for a jug. Filling is not needed often and is not a big deal, IMHO.

Some folks keep jugs and fill them at a truck stop. Not enough $$ savings to me to fuss with it.

Some folks report they fill up on diesel, then pull out and turn around coming through the pumps backwards. I guess this can work if the lanes are not busy...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:24 PM   #3

I'm another one who does the turnaround or back in routine.

Works for me since I only do it when the lanes are not busy.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:59 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_M View Post
Hi. We're considering buying a used 2016 Allegro Bus, and one of the differences I noticed between the Bus and our current coach is... on the Bus the DEF tank is on the curb side of the coach, rather than the driver's side. Wouldn't this make filling the DEF tank at most truck stops a problem? And if so, how do owners deal with that?

TIA
My 2016 Allegro Bus has the DEF fill on the driver's side. All that model I've seen does also. Make sure the used Bus you are looking at is indeed a 2016.
As stated above, an easy way to get around the PS DEF fill, is just buy jugs from Wal-Mart and refill the tank when you get to your campground at your leisure.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:18 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctox View Post
My 2016 Allegro Bus has the DEF fill on the driver's side. All that model I've seen does also. Make sure the used Bus you are looking at is indeed a 2016.
As stated above, an easy way to get around the PS DEF fill, is just buy jugs from Wal-Mart and refill the tank when you get to your campground at your leisure.
Thanks. I may have confused the location with a 2015 Bus I was looking at. Could you please tell me exactly where the DEF fill is on the driver's side? It's hard to tell from the photos of the 2016s I have.

I do carry a container of DEF from Walmart with me now, for those times when truck stops may be hard to find off the beaten path. I used that method a lot in Canada this past summer. As for turning around and going back through the fuel island in the opposite direction, that's a bit hard to imagine with a 40-45' coach pulling a car - especially since you can't back up if you get trapped in there backwards.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:50 AM   #6

Yeah, DEF on the passenger side is a pain. You either pull in against traffic or use the pump in the next isle to your right, effectively plugging up that lane too. And of course, making great friends with the truckers waiting. I put a 15 gal agriculture tank and pump in the rear of the engine and pump into the rig tank when necessary. I can fill from a DEF pump on either side. We use it when going to Alaska as bulk DEF is just about impossible to find in Canada and Alaska.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:56 AM   #7

I'm in the same boat PS, BTW Rural King has 2.5 gallon DEF on sale for $6.00.

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:50 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
The DEF fill door is at the far aft corner on the driver's side. It requires pulling up after filling with fuel, in order to fill from the DEF pump. That's why many of us just buy DEF from Wal-mart and fill up at our convenience.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:28 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctox View Post
The DEF fill door is at the far aft corner on the driver's side. It requires pulling up after filling with fuel, in order to fill from the DEF pump. That's why many of us just buy DEF from Wal-mart and fill up at our convenience.
OK, NOW I see it. Thanks. My current coach has it back just behind the tag axle, so I've gotten used to pulling up to fill the DEF tank.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:53 AM   #10

Even on gassers Tiffin engineers screwed up the flap on fuel tank. For several years they had the flap open to the left on drivers side, so you couldn't get the nozzle in without a lot of effort. I think 2011-2013 are the years for this problem. If more of the people that build these things used them, they might have a better understanding of how to build them. Dave