Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2022, 09:08 PM   #85

DSS Extended use tests

Time to follow up on the continued use of my DSS. Thus far I have not been able to secure a replacement DEF head from Tiffin. I've called at least once a week since the unit failed, I've been told I'm on the "list" but thus far I haven't received the call that a unit is available for me. This time of year I use my coach mainly to travel back and forth to the sand dunes pulling an enclosed trailer with the sand toys inside. It is a 700 mile round trip. My DEF sensor went out on our first dune trip of the season. I previously reported on the first successful trip using the DSS unit on the next dune trip. We have since made 2 more trips with another planned over Presidents Day weekend in February. The simulator unit works flawlessly. At first I was concerned about getting stranded on the road and not being able to get back home. Now after driving 2100 miles with a failed DEF head and using the Def Sensor Simulator I have complete confidence in it. I just have to remind myself to visually check the DEF level in the tank as the dash gauge doesn't read accurately. Out of caution I built and tested a second DSS and have it handy "just in case". Again I an grateful to the team who made all this possible, you saved dune season for me and my family. Thank you!
docbc06
docbc06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2022, 05:00 AM   #86

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbc06 View Post
Time to follow up on the continued use of my DSS. Thus far I have not been able to secure a replacement DEF head from Tiffin. I've called at least once a week since the unit failed, I've been told I'm on the "list" but thus far I haven't received the call that a unit is available for me. This time of year I use my coach mainly to travel back and forth to the sand dunes pulling an enclosed trailer with the sand toys inside. It is a 700 mile round trip. My DEF sensor went out on our first dune trip of the season. I previously reported on the first successful trip using the DSS unit on the next dune trip. We have since made 2 more trips with another planned over Presidents Day weekend in February. The simulator unit works flawlessly. At first I was concerned about getting stranded on the road and not being able to get back home. Now after driving 2100 miles with a failed DEF head and using the Def Sensor Simulator I have complete confidence in it. I just have to remind myself to visually check the DEF level in the tank as the dash gauge doesn't read accurately. Out of caution I built and tested a second DSS and have it handy "just in case". Again I an grateful to the team who made all this possible, you saved dune season for me and my family. Thank you!
docbc06

Thanks for posting this. Luckily I haven't had to use mine yet (besides the test). I've wondered how long it can be used without failing (all of the bumps and rattles). Great idea to have a second available if using the initial build as your in service solution. For me, I get a ton of useful info from this forum, but I have to say this solution shared by the development team is by far the most important benefit I've received from this forum. Thanks again.
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 10:29 AM   #87

Just as a point of information, yesterday while my Freightliner/Fleetwood, was at the Freightliner shop for other recalls, I was informed that one of the five recalls available on my chassis was a DEF head recalibration, if I had any indication of problems with the DEF head. Apparently, Freightliner has their own "fix" available until new heads are available.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:26 AM   #88

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
Apparently, Freightliner has their own "fix" available until new heads are available.

It sounds like the Cummins developed calibration for those that are currently experience a DEF head issue. As I understand it, the calibration will avoid the derate that occurs after the fault codes have been active for a period of time.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:28 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
Just as a point of information, yesterday while my Freightliner/Fleetwood, was at the Freightliner shop for other recalls, I was informed that one of the five recalls available on my chassis was a DEF head recalibration, if I had any indication of problems with the DEF head. Apparently, Freightliner has their own "fix" available until new heads are available.
I don't think that Freightliner has a problem with replacement heads. Mine failed a couple of months ago and they obtained the replacement overnight. My coach was in at 5PM and out by noon the next day. That being said, the Cummins software can be "modified" on any chassis since it's the engine computer that generates the DEF codes.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:51 AM   #90

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
I don't think that Freightliner has a problem with replacement heads. Mine failed a couple of months ago and they obtained the replacement overnight. My coach was in at 5PM and out by noon the next day. That being said, the Cummins software can be "modified" on any chassis since it's the engine computer that generates the DEF codes.
The problem is that while true that Cummins CAN apply the software calibration to any chassis, whether they WILL apply it apparently depends on whether or not your particular chassis manufacturer has agreed to “participate” in the program. Spartan, for instance, has NOT agreed.
It is not clear whether that means Cummins will apply the patch on a Spartan for a (undisclosed) fee or whether they will simply refuse to do it at all. I asked Cummins corporate the question and they just refused to clarify and essentially just repeated what was in the original Press Release.
Has anybody reading this had the calibration patch done or know anyone who has? I have not heard of a single case personally.
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 05:26 AM   #91

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Where corporations and government failed us, a few gifted and generous people brought us a solution. Apparently you cant buy, legislate, or mandate that. It has to come from people who care and are willing.
Also, from people who know what they're talking about. We have too many people in government who make tyrannical decisions about things they have absolutely no knowledge about. It's like the moron lawyer at the Rittenhouse trial who was pointing a rifle at the jury WITH HIS FINGER ON THE TRIGGER! He wanted to condemn Rittenhouse but only proved his complete lack of knowledge on the subject. We have too many eggheads at the EPA who only know how to impose rules on other people - that's the extent of their capabilities.
Old 03-07-2022, 04:48 AM   #92

Tiffin Owners Club
Recent DEF Sensor Shortage Article

Ran across this DEF sensor shortage article on a trucking site while looking for an air dryer desiccant cartridge. Not necessarily breaking news, but a recent article for truckers experiencing the same shortage.

https://www.fleetequipmentmag.com/tr...nsor-shortage/
Old 03-08-2022, 02:15 PM   #93

Hey everyone. I recently bought a 2019 40 QKH. No issues with DEF system yet but I like to be prepared. I was looking at the instructions for making the DSS but it calls for a Windows machine for programming. I haven't owned a windows machine in probably 15 years. Has anyone done this using a Mac (without running an emulator)? [Mod Edit] Many thanks! I have learned a lot from this forum over the years.
txjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 05:15 PM   #94

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a MacBook Pro. Had to borrow my son’s PC to get it done. You may want to reach out to Archer2 to see if they have anything for Mac.
Old 03-09-2022, 03:00 AM   #95

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by txjeep View Post
Hey everyone. I recently bought a 2019 40 QKH. No issues with DEF system yet but I like to be prepared. I was looking at the instructions for making the DSS but it calls for a Windows machine for programming. I haven't owned a windows machine in probably 15 years. Has anyone done this using a Mac (without running an emulator)? [Mod Edit] Many thanks! I have learned a lot from this forum over the years.
Windows PCs are quite ubiquitous. If you don't have one, perhaps a friend or family member has one that you could load the software with. It's an extremely quick process so it's not going to be a big inconvenience. Maybe if at a campground a friend or a public PC there could let you download the fix to program the DSS. You could also pick up a used/refurb PC or tablet pretty cheaply to keep on hand. It doesn't have to have enormous speed or firepower to get the job done. Here's one for $150 but you can probably find one even cheaper on eBay/Craigslist/etc.: https://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...717577&CatId=6
Old 03-09-2022, 06:58 AM   #96

I guess I’ll have to suck it up and borrow a win machine. Thank you.
Old 03-10-2022, 04:35 AM   #97

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by txjeep View Post
I guess I’ll have to suck it up and borrow a win machine. Thank you.
...or you can get this one, totally built for $195: https://www.irv2.com/rvclassifieds/s...-around&cat=23

The price of the Arduino Due has gone up $30 since I bought 2 of them last year (and since sold both). If you order the rest of the parts (case, gland, etc.) I could order the Due (for $129.95) program it and ship it to you for $140 total.
https://copperhilltech.com/arduino-b...bus-interface/

I think it's a much better option to either get one totally built already or get all the parts yourself and find someone locally who has a PC that can program it for you.
Old 03-11-2022, 07:51 AM   #98

Thanks jeski I reached out to the seller. I think I need the FL plug though. Not sure which plug the one listed has. I attached a pic of mine. Is this the FL plug that requires installing pins etc?

I have the 2019 40QKH with ISL

Thanks for the help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1E9D2A8E-AE6E-4647-97C2-D23082992310.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	391.5 KB
ID:	358864