Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2020, 02:43 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Denso A/C Compressor Oil spec?

I'm looking for the specific oil recommended by the manufacturer of A/C Compressor for Dash A/C built in 2012. It is supposed to be posted on the compressor but for me that's a very hard item to get a view of. I'm assuming it's a Denso compressor. In a manual written in back in 1999 Denso said ND 8 Oil. Other references indicate the equivalent for ND 8 is PAG 46. Appreciate any help from someone who can view their compressor or if you are at the Gaffney Freightliner Service facility ask them what the sticker reads on the A/C Compressor when they are under there.
Thx
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2020, 06:59 PM   #2

I would doubt that the A/C compressor is a Denso item .

I replaced the compressor on my 99 F/L chassis with a part from F/L , the new compressor came with oil installed .

A call to Freightliner's free help line could help confirm the compressor's supplier info and oil required.

1-800-385-4357 have your serial number handy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0627.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	291996  
Old 07-04-2020, 07:23 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Skip - I find this all very confusing. Freightliner says Tiffin installs the Dash A/C but then Tiffin references Freightliner for a Receiver/Dryer part. Thank you for the info and I'll follow-up. The box containing the Evaporator for example is Denso so it led me to believe all the components were Denso supplied. PAG 46 oil is the same viscosity as the ND 8 spec and I really don't believe I would hurt anything using PAG 46. I'm just trying to pick brains smarter and more experienced than mine. Appreciate the help
Old 07-04-2020, 08:02 PM   #4

I found this diagram a while back ; while I was replacing my compressor , receiver dryer and condenser fan , you may find it interesting too.

For whatever reason the condenser fan I needed came from Freightliner with a Evans/Tempcon P/N on the box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Evans Parts.PNG
Views:	53
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	292004  
Old 07-04-2020, 09:27 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting Skip, -Evans supplies the little Receiver/Dryer on my installation. I previously asked Freightliner about a blend air door reset procedure and in reply to that they indicated Tiffin put in the air handling box and then Tiffin supplied a sketch showing it to be a Denso unit.
However, I wouldn't be surprised to find the compressor is installed by Freightliner then Tiffin runs the hoses etc. A fellow at Evans parts told me they supplied a "Charged Receiver/Dryer" to some manufacturers preloaded with R134a so all they had to do is let it flow so to speak.
Someone knows?
Old 07-06-2020, 06:25 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Skip, You are right on and thank you for the suggestion.
FCCC sent me the spec sheet for the compressor which is a "Sanden" and the oil spec is their SD-15. I'd sure like to know what Sanden adds to what is probably just PAG 46 oil rebranded with a 200% price increase? When one looks at oil application charts PAG 46 is listed for all the Sanden Compressors listed but, just to be extra careful I ordered the SD-15. I couldn't find the actual Sanden Model # on the Spec Sheet but that might just be old eyes.
I also asked sent an email to Tiffin asking the same question but haven't received a reply as yet.
Thx again,

Tags
compressor