Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2017, 07:33 AM   #1

diesel fuel

Should I be worried with a full tank of diesel purchased Oct. 2017 in southern OK for gelling in current cold temps?
gjtibbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2017, 07:38 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Any diesel fuel can gel in cold weather. That's why they make antigen additive. Add it to your tank, put some more diesel in to flush it down the fill tube, and by the time you've driven home it will have mixed and worked its way thru your fuel filters.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:40 AM   #3

Better to have a full tank that 1/2 in cold weather. Less chance to have condensation to collect on tank walls because of cold weather. It is Diesel #2 and not bio fuel?

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:44 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
In addition to the above, run your generator. Your signature says Tiffin bus, so you would have Aqua hot or Hydro hot, so run the diesel burner.
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:53 AM   #5

In Michigan, the temp had to get down to 13 deg F before the diesel would get sluggish. As soon as the day temp would rise above 13F the diesel would be good to go again.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:00 AM   #6

Allegro Bus is a '04 so no Aqua Heat. The temps at point of storage (Ardmore, OK) for next few days is forecast to be lows in 20's and highs in 40's. I'm thinking that the fuel purchased in late Oct. this year was likely a transition fuel blend to winter blending. I'm certain it was designated as #2 diesel.
Will just hope that the temps go higher as I travel lower(south).
gjtibbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtibbe View Post
Should I be worried with a full tank of diesel purchased Oct. 2017 in southern OK for gelling in current cold temps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
In Michigan, the temp had to get down to 13 deg F before the diesel would get sluggish. As soon as the day temp would rise above 13F the diesel would be good to go again.
If they daytime temps are in the 10 degree area maybe - if you plan to use it - but IMHO - you should be FINE and if it just sits should not be an issue.

If it makes you feel better - go ahead and pour some in - I like Grindstone01 think you will be fine.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:20 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've had two rigs jel on me even though I had used the additives to prevent it. My problem is I parked it in the Fall with non winterized fuel and got it out in Feb and even though it wasn't below zero, they still jelled.

What I do now is put it away with a quarter of a tank and then as soon as they have the Winter Blend I pick a nice day and drive it in and fill it up.

If you're coming north, stop before you get to the real cold weather and fill up making sure the have the Winter blend.

There's a truck stop a couple miles from us and when the cold wave hits there are all kinds of trucks being towed due to jelling. Do I have to tell you that most have Southern license plates?
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel