RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2015, 07:11 PM   #1

Discounts off MSRP for Tiffin Red's?

Hi All...

We are looking at new Class A's and the Tiffin Red is at the top of our list. I have heard that the "typical" discounts given by dealers for new RVs run from 20% to 30% off MSRP. A Tiffen dealer told us that's not the case for Tiffens and probably 10-15% would be the max discount we would see.

So....I'd love like to hear from those who have bought a Tiffen in the last year or so on what sort of discount you received off of MSRP. This would sure help in any negotiations we might find ourselves engaged in.

Cheers....

Geomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2015, 07:45 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Some of it may depend on when you buy. We bought our 38QRA RED at the tail end of last year's model (2015 in May of 2015) and it was 27% off MSRP.

'16 Jeep JKU Wrangler Sahara or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:07 PM   #3

Methinks your dealer is telling you that because that's the most discount he wants to give you and still make the sale. Myself and others have received over 25% discounts at dealers near Red Bay on new 2016s, even with this being the beginning of the model year. I do expect that the further away from Red Bay you buy, the less the discount due to increasing transportation costs, but nothing to that extent. I'd suggest checking with other dealers.

JimB
JimHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:50 AM   #4

Hello!! Make sure you get at least a 25% discount from the MSRP, I ordered my red from the Hershey show last year and I received a 26% discount and I had to order one!!! So one that has been at the lot for a few month I'm sure will get a better discount! Good Luck!
Grandcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:48 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi,we got 25% off ours. Considering they agreed to store it for us for 2 months and install a couple of small mods I think it's a pretty good deal. I'm sure a few more points could be squeezed out on any deal depending how much they need move the unit...end of the month quotas etc.

Barry and Pat, RVM114
TGA2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:30 AM   #6

Check with Kings Campers in Wisconsin. They will match the price of the dealers close to Red Bay.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:19 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Me thinks thou should seek another dealer. I would look until I got at least 25-27%. As a side comment, I would not put too much stock in a dealers claim for "superior service after the sale" - if service is important to your decision, try to contact other customers to find out their experience with that dealer.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:21 AM   #8

Thanks for all the great replies! Armed with the great new knowledge it will be a nationwide search and we will have a good grasp what to look for on pricing. We can afford to wait for the right price.

One last question....what time of year do the new models start selling where there might be some added incentive to get a "last year" model off the lot?
Old 10-26-2015, 11:32 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Discounts from MSRP simply mean the manufacturer has assigned a suggested cost for the unit that exceeds it's value. MSRP is a magical number determined by the manufacturer using an accounting system called SWAG (scientific wild assed guess) and an ouigi (sp) board, possibly a dart board or a deck of cards. If it were a realistic cost you would not be able to get 20 - 30% off. Call it a neat marketing tool. Makes you think you are getting a more expensive unit at a much lower price.

There is the possibility that Tiffen has lowered the MSRP if you are to believe the dealer. However I would look around.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:20 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with all the rest, 25-30% is the going rate....could be less if you are trading..
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:37 PM   #11

I agree 100% MSRP is anything but cost based. Pure SWAG and fluffed up to allow for significant discounts when needed to close the sale.
nowalnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:38 PM   #12

I am in the market for a Tiffin Allegro Bus. All the research I have done leads me to believe that 25% to 29% off MSRP is standard for the industry even on a Tiffin. May be different for a used model. Davis in TN, Sherman in Miss, or Kings Campers in WI seem to be giving the best offers. They will work with you long distance. As far as when the new models come out - I believe it depends on the model. I think the new Allegro Bus year begins around June or July. The Red may be earlier. Call Tiffin and ask them or call a dealer. The discount should be the same but the MSRP will go up from year to year so you will be negotiating on a lower MSRP on a year end model. I would run away from any dealer who won't give at least a 25% discount on a new unit.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:46 AM   #13

We purchased from Mike Thompson RV and bought a 2015 at the beginning of the 15 year, the coach we purchased was still in route to the Pomona RV show. The price was discounted about 28% over MSRP. I say about because we negotiated a discount on the extended warranty, added a washer/dryer, and opted for both the oven and the convection/micro oven. So based on original sticker 25% discount at least.
Although I had a bad experience with LaMesa, that experience was over 12 years ago. When I was looking at LaMesa Vacaville/Davis they seemed more than willing to negotiate on a new Tiffin...they just didn't have what I wanted in stock.
Good luck on your search, but for 10% on a new Tiffin a drive down to SoCal to talk with Mike Thompson might be in order. Our salesperson was Cher Lychtman in SantaFe Springs. Definitely recommend her, she knows her business.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:13 PM   #14

Thanks for all the great replies and information!

Interesting conversation yesterday......we were at a dealer for Fleetwood and Winnebago looking at the FW Expedition and Discovery floor plans and we walked by a Tiffin Phaeton and were asking if it was a trade in etc. Sales guy informed us they often buy from private parties and sell on the lot. Then he sort of took me aside and said if it was him, he'd buy a Tiffin product any day of the week. Reasons offered were quality of build and service. That was quite interesting coming from someone who doesn't even sell the product (other than used). We were already heavily leaning towards the Tiffin Red before but that was the final nail.
We REALLY like the 33AA and 37PA and would plan to yank the recliner and use the space for a permanent place for the dog crate. Big question for us will be staying shorter at 35ft or going with the 39ft.

Tags
tiffin