Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2018, 08:31 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Dish Satellite Users Responses wanted

We've had Direct TV since we started RVing (4 1/2 years). For numerous reasons, we want to switch to Dish but we have received conflicting information. We need a few things clarified:
Can you be taping a show and then watch a previously recorded show at the same time? We can do that with Direct - which means we NEVER have to watch commercials. If you can do this, what equipment do you have?

The reasons to leave Direct are too numerous. But this is a deal breaker and when we spoke to the Dish RV contact (I forgot the name of the unit) they clearly told us this cannot be done - but hinted we could buy our equipment else where and do it.

Thanks!
harleybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2018, 08:35 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleybill View Post
We've had Direct TV since we started RVing (4 1/2 years). For numerous reasons, we want to switch to Dish but we have received conflicting information. We need a few things clarified:
Can you be taping a show and then watch a previously recorded show at the same time? We can do that with Direct - which means we NEVER have to watch commercials. If you can do this, what equipment do you have?

The reasons to leave Direct are too numerous. But this is a deal breaker and when we spoke to the Dish RV contact (I forgot the name of the unit) they clearly told us this cannot be done - but hinted we could buy our equipment else where and do it.

Thanks!
I think you have been given a correct answer. I can not record one channel and view another at the same time. However, because I have multiple receivers, I can in fact watch a different channel and record on different receivers at the same time. (or watch different channels).
kgchampagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:41 AM   #3

I know this is not exactly what you are looking for but read it through.
DTV has no clue about RV's.
However if you have DTV at you home read this.

I ordered my coach w/out the in motion dome but with traveler pre-wiring. I got credit toward the the traveler.

Having the Traveler installed by the dealership.

They will install and interface the traveler with the two Dtv boxes from my house.

The front and LR tv's on one reciever and the bedroom/outside tv on the other.

One control wire and one RF feed wire from the dish to the coach cabinet.

Both DVR Recvrs set to SWM with the appropriate splitter in the cabinet.

All HD with record a different channel than watching at the same time.

That is the only Directv solution for HD in the Tiffin.

BTW, do Not use any recievers other than the ones from your home.

If you use your home receivers you will not be billed extra and you can watch your home stations. You will loose channels 9 to 13 since they are not nationally transmitted stations.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:21 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The Wally receiver, with the latest software update and a suitable hard drive, is supposed to be able to watch one channel and record another. If you have a Trav'ler antenna, then this is easy but if you have a dome and want to record something that is on a different satellite then what you are watching, it will not work.

The ultimate solution is get a Trav'ler antenna and a Hopper which would allow you to watch and record on multiple TVs at the same time. You can do the same thing on Directv with a Genie system do your choice.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:34 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Yes the newest software update which you get only if you have a hard drive connected ( one time 40 charge for as many reciever you have on your account) give you two tuner capability assuming you have a 3 lnb dish traveler, mogul, or manual set up.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:56 AM   #6

I am able to watch a recorded show while this receiver records a show. I bought it last summer. http://amzn.to/2olS6UB
I plugged in a USB 64 GB Thumb drive to record on and had to call Dish to turn on the recording option and pay them a $20 one time fee.
But it works. -Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #7

I would think this is somewhat equipment dependent. I am running a Wally receiver with a 1 terabyte external drive attached off a Pathway X2 portable antenna. I can watch a recorded show while recording another.

As would be expected off a single receiver, I cannot record a show and watch another.
BZTS561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:25 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZTS561 View Post
I would think this is somewhat equipment dependent. I am running a Wally receiver with a 1 terabyte external drive attached off a Pathway X2 portable antenna. I can watch a recorded show while recording another.

As would be expected off a single receiver, I cannot record a show and watch another.

The Wally now can ,as of Jan .. and you can record one program and watch another but as already mentioned you need a 3lnb dish that sees all the program sources.
I always thought the Wally was a single tuner but somehow it now has two ..
Old 02-23-2018, 11:49 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We have the VIP 722 DVR box and can do as you say you would like to.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:09 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZTS561 View Post

I agree

In our 5th wheel we had a Wally, an external hard drive, and a tailgater. With it we could record a program while watching something previously recorded. We only had the one receiver but my understanding is that if you had a second receiver you could watch another program on it as long as it was on the same satellite. The tailgater has 1 LNB and the internal dish has to move each time a diffenent satellite is selected.
bobbidonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:43 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Lightbulb

Get a RF Mogul antenna on your roof. Order the Hopper 3 for your home. With the Hopper 3, you can record and watch up to 16 channels at once (a necessity with my wife, since she records so much).
The RF Mogul will work with the Hopper 3. You can also run several Joey's off the Hopper for watching different channels on different TVs.

Good luck !!!!
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:10 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
There seems to be some confusion here on what a 'receiver' does. Each dish/direcTV "Receiver"(satellite box) contains one or more internal receivers, and this determines how many channels from the satellite can be decoded simultaneously. Playing back from the hard drive does not require one of these
internal receivers, and that information was previously decoded and stored on the hard drive.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:00 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbidonb View Post
I agree

In our 5th wheel we had a Wally, an external hard drive, and a tailgater. With it we could record a program while watching something previously recorded. We only had the one receiver but my understanding is that if you had a second receiver you could watch another program on it as long as it was on the same satellite. The tailgater has 1 LNB and the internal dish has to move each time a diffenent satellite is selected.
Thanks. We did want to ask some follow up with your Wally. How does it actually record and how do you replay it? Using a remote? We saw a bundle package with this on Amazon, but it only had the IR remote not the RF.
We only want one receiver, we've agreed to watch the same thing to help live in our close quarters. We are full timers!
Old 02-23-2018, 03:03 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
IR Remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbidonb View Post
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillSD View Post
I am able to watch a recorded show while this receiver records a show. I bought it last summer. http://amzn.to/2olS6UB
I plugged in a USB 64 GB Thumb drive to record on and had to call Dish to turn on the recording option and pay them a $20 one time fee.
But it works. -Bill
Thanks. This was helpful. We've only had an RF remote - how does the IR remote work? When we first had DirectTV installed, we were told we needed the RF so that's what we know.

Tags
dish, satellite