Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2014, 06:35 PM   #15

Ok, I'm TOTALLY WRONG. You are the 1 % that runs the fridge on electric on the road.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2014, 07:13 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIDan View Post
Ok, I'm TOTALLY WRONG. You are the 1 % that runs the fridge on electric on the road.
Gee thanks,

Always wanted to be a 1%er. Now if I could just get that financially, bye bye Tiffin, Entegra, Newmar. ?? Prevost or Newell
Old 09-26-2014, 07:34 AM   #17

Another additional option is to turn all the bay lights. Mine are not led and put off heat. Of course I am assuming Tiffin is still not putting Led in the bay.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasnealy View Post
Another additional option is to turn all the bay lights. Mine are not led and put off heat. Of course I am assuming Tiffin is still not putting Led in the bay.
(LOL) On the Bus they're on a timer and go off automatically if you "forget" and leave them on. Great idea though.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
We did most of our inspections in the area where they wash and prep the coach. In fact, we were moving cartons and doing system checks while they were cleaning it up. Since I was in a BIG hurry, I also did some in the yard area while they were waiting to bring it into a maintenance bay for some work and at night as we had to move a ton of stuff from the old coach to the new. They do not want you in the maintenance bay. The maintenance they did in the bay was to install roof vent covers, swap out my new AGM batteries for the factory OEM's and do some work on a rear thermostat that wasn't working.

I have to admit that my PDI was somewhat limited as I wanted delivery on the thing just as soon as I could get it and was intending to stop at Red Bay on the way home from Arizona for as long as necessary. Truth to tell, I haven't been back to Colton since I took delivery, as their Tonawanda location is not an easy trip from Delaware and we pass Red Bay (well sorta' ) at least twice a year.

The gas, hot air, furnaces do NOT run off AC. THey run on DC only and do not require an inverter to be on in order to use them. Much different with the Hydro-Hot, but I don't have that. I run the furnaces and the hot water heater on gas whenever I need to while driving down the road. With the residential refrig in mine, I installed a dedicated inverter so I don't have to run the main inverter and deal with it's associated phantom loads and overhead. Since we boondock so much, our coach was special ordered and built with boondocking in mind and it could not work any better, but standard factory units will be set up quite differently.
Pigman1, I would very much like to hear from you how you had Tiffin modify your new coach for boondocking. Since this is off subject, maybe you could tell me off line too?
jjva343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:43 PM   #20

Well you have giving me allot to think!!! I think that all lighting including the one's in the bay are all LED for 2015 but I will check! I guess the safest way to bring this coach back to Phoenix is to have them winterize it, should this be done after the PDI or will this be done by the time we arrive at their dealer? So if it's winterized we will probably need to stay at a hotel while we drive it back since we cannot use any of the tanks that's disappointing for our first trip!!!!! I was trying to keep away from the hotels!!!! Again thanks to everyone for their suggestions!!!
Grandcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:49 AM   #21
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandcanyon View Post
Well you have giving me allot to think!!! I think that all lighting including the one's in the bay are all LED for 2015 but I will check! I guess the safest way to bring this coach back to Phoenix is to have them winterize it, should this be done after the PDI or will this be done by the time we arrive at their dealer? So if it's winterized we will probably need to stay at a hotel while we drive it back since we cannot use any of the tanks that's disappointing for our first trip!!!!! I was trying to keep away from the hotels!!!! Again thanks to everyone for their suggestions!!!

If it's winterized you can still use the toilet. Just bring along a few gallon jugs of water to flush with. There will be antifreeze in the tanks, and/or you can add some as you go.

When you get to a warm location (or winter is over) you can dump again.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:49 PM   #22

Hello Again! Thanks for the information of using a few jugs of water so that we can use the holding tanks, I thought they cannot be used if they were winterized!!! Thats a relieve!!! You can tell I'm new at this and I hope to learn from you folks. I'm sure I will have more questions on this and other things before I pick up my MH, Thanks Again!
Old 10-11-2014, 07:58 AM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
If you use a ceramic heater or bulb to warm your wet bay, you may want to check out the termo cube outlet adapter. You can get one that comes on below 35 of off at 45.

Thermo Cube
Old 10-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I went to the suburban link. Quite frankly I believe they let the attorneys answer all of those questions. Some of the answers to me are ridiculous. I agree with other posters. I think MOST maybe not all but MOST people when driving in cold weather use their furnace other wise you will freeze to death because the dash heat cannot heat up 40 ft. (giver or take 5 ft) of space. I do not advocate breaking laws but I cannot imagine a trooper pulling you over and telling you that you are breaking the law because you are running your gas furnace.

I also noticed that suburban does not recommend putting screens over the vents openings to the outside Obviously they have never heard of wasps. If you did not do that you would be having to work on it continuously. I normally advocate following the manufacturers recommendation but in this case they are ridiculous.

If you are winterized you cannot use fresh water tanks. I know you can carry water but that is such a pain. I like I am sure hundreds of thousands of RVers use the furnace when I am traveling. There are literally millions of the hybrid refrigerators out there. People with travel trailers and 5th wheels for the most part do not have any option of keeping their food cold without using the proprane function of their refrigerator.

Bottom line Run your hot water heater and your furnace in cold weather. If you are not comfortable doing that. Buy an indoor outdoor thermometer and put the sensor in the wet bay. I do that any way to keep track of that space during the winter. Monitor the temp and if it is getting too cold back there stop for the night and run your furnace at that time.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:29 AM   #25

Basement Heating!!!

Hello Again! Thanks for all of the great tips, I agree with most of you, I ran my gas on all of coaches I rented, the rental companies never mentioned it was against the law to run the propane! One question if I do run the furnace at 55 MPH is there a chance that the wind during travel shuts the flames off?? If this happens the propane shuts off correct? One thing I will buy me a wireless temperature monitor they are not very expensive I saw it at the Bass Pro Shop for $29.00 this way I can keep an eye on the temperature and if it goes below 34'F I will make sure that the furnace goes on. One more question I do place a 100 watt light bulb (I have two) in the wet bay will that light run off the battery or do I have to run the generator?? It seems it should run from the battery, please advise! Thanks Again to All!!!
Old 10-13-2014, 09:00 AM   #26

Check a Walmart for the remote temp indicator. I just got 2 (house and RV) for $9.97 each. You know you can't get a 100w incandescent bulb anymore, right? Guard yours with your life!! Your green government at work. Some of us don't use light bulbs for light. We mounted a single lamp socket on the side of the compartment so the hot bulb will not bounce around and melt something. I also ran a thin lamp cord extension to the nearest 110v socket in the forward part of the basement. A 100w bulb will only draw about 1 amp. (AxV=W) The basement door gaskets close on it fine and I don't get leaks. If it seems worthwhile to you, you can install it permanently, at a later time. I run the house inverter when I need it.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
NOt sure if you can find a 100 watt 12volt bulb. If you want to run off the batteries look for one of the 12 heaters that they say for older cars that do not have heaters. Or use your light bulb. The problem with light bulbs is you have to make sure they are fastened down tight so that they do not break. if you have an inverter you can do as pigman1 says and run an extension cord to it. the flame on the furnaces do not usually blow out unless there is something wrong. I have ran that way before with no problems. Again quoting pigman you can get the indoor outdoor units at Walmart. I usually buy the atomic clock with indoor outdoor temp readings. I believe they are under 20.00
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #28

The other thing wit a light bulb is it may burn out... Why not something like this:
Amazon.com: 12-volt heater

Tags
heating, winter