Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2014, 12:06 AM   #1

Do all Allegro Red have basement heating for the winter??

Hello! Like I have posted we just ordered a new Allegro Red two weeks ago at the Hershey show and I'm being told that my unit should be ready by early December, the dealer is in Buffalo NY and as we all know that is not a good time of time of the year to pick up a new MH, is the basement where the water and the holding tanks are heated?? Do I have to have the furnace going while driving to heat the tanks?? I'm exited to get the MH but not exited about picking it up in the snow and ice!!!! Any recommendations from the pros out there?? I will be driving this back to Phoenix AZ.

Thank You,
Grandcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2014, 05:49 AM   #2

Unless it has changed from 2012, one of the ducts from the rear propane furnace is piped into the wet bay so yes you have a way to keep it heated. The weakness in the system is that there is no thermostat in the wet bay so you cannot directly control the temps. Yes, you can run the propane furnace while driving. Note that the heat pump (if you have this option) does not provide any heat to wet bay.

For the longer term, I purchased a small thermostatically controlled ceramic electric heater and secured that in the wet bay along with a indoor/outdoor thermometer. Yes, you have to run the generator while traveling but at least you can control and monitor the temperatures. We traveled in single digit temps with this setup and never had a problem keeping the wet bay at 45-50 degrees.

For a single trip back home, you can simply purchase the indoor/outdoor thermometer so you have a way to know how high to set the bedroom propane furnace. I used velcro to secure to the wet bay panel.

Enjoy
Old 09-24-2014, 06:13 AM   #3

I would have the dealer winterize it for you, either before you arrive, or preferably as part of the PDI , that way you get instruction and "how to" , to do it yourselves next winter. You can drive it home winterized and not have to worry the first year.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:41 AM   #4

Talk to Colton. When we picked up our 2013 in January, we had to tell them specifically to NOT winterize it as we took it to DE and left for Arizona within 3 days. Colton will have camping sites on the lot where you can plug your trade in into and stay at until you get any stuff transfered over, but the water is, of course, shut off. I ended up fastening my Winegard Trav'ler to the roof in their lot after hours. Part of our deal with Colton was that they'd lift it too the roof with a forklift. Oh yeah, it was snowing while I did it. Fun, but it was MINE !!! (LOL). We had a special order on the BUS with gas heat in the 43'. The standard gas heat will keep the wet bay warm enough so nothing freezes down to below 17 degrees in a 30mph wind. I also put an INCANDESCENT 100w light bulb in the wet bay and that will keep it warm to about 20-25 degrees, but of course you can't buy those in the US any longer (love the EPA and the government).
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:51 PM   #5

Hello Again! Thanks for all of the good advise! Now the only reason I would not like the coach winterized is that I'm want to make sure everything is working when I leave Colton RV if not it will be in the back of my mine that I should have done it!! Now I see that I can run the back furnace while traveling so I do not have to worry about the furnace being blown out as I go down the highway at 55 MPH??? Also will the furnace run with just the inverter or do I have to have the generator running while I do this?? Also Pigman 1 does Colton do the PDI in a warm area or is all of this done while we are freezing outside?? Hope they have somewhere warm!!!!! Thanks
Grandcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:22 AM   #6

Rear furnace should run just fine off the inverter. Note, I have always heard that you cannot run the water heater on propane while traveling. I never tried and cannot really say that I know of anyone that actually had a problem. Story is that this flame source is too close to the outside of the coach and will black up the outside. That is another advantage of running the generator (at least occasionally) so you can use electricity to keep the hot water tank warm. The tank is pretty well insulated so if you keep the wet bay nice and warm you should be fine.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dambuilder View Post
Rear furnace should run just fine off the inverter. Note, I have always heard that you cannot run the water heater on propane while traveling. I never tried and cannot really say that I know of anyone that actually had a problem. Story is that this flame source is too close to the outside of the coach and will black up the outside. That is another advantage of running the generator (at least occasionally) so you can use electricity to keep the hot water tank warm. The tank is pretty well insulated so if you keep the wet bay nice and warm you should be fine.
Your HWT probably has a heat transfer coil from engine that runs thru it, called 'MotorAid' by some manufacturers, The hot coolant from engine keeps the hot water hot while travelling. Could not confirm this from looking at specs for Allegro RED but likely.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:10 AM   #8

Do all Allegro Red have basement heating for the winter??

At least in 2012 RED models, Tiffin did not provide any connection to the engine for hot water. Your only two heat sources are propane and electric. I am not aware that that has changed
Old 09-25-2014, 11:52 AM   #9

We did most of our inspections in the area where they wash and prep the coach. In fact, we were moving cartons and doing system checks while they were cleaning it up. Since I was in a BIG hurry, I also did some in the yard area while they were waiting to bring it into a maintenance bay for some work and at night as we had to move a ton of stuff from the old coach to the new. They do not want you in the maintenance bay. The maintenance they did in the bay was to install roof vent covers, swap out my new AGM batteries for the factory OEM's and do some work on a rear thermostat that wasn't working.

I have to admit that my PDI was somewhat limited as I wanted delivery on the thing just as soon as I could get it and was intending to stop at Red Bay on the way home from Arizona for as long as necessary. Truth to tell, I haven't been back to Colton since I took delivery, as their Tonawanda location is not an easy trip from Delaware and we pass Red Bay (well sorta' ) at least twice a year.

The gas, hot air, furnaces do NOT run off AC. THey run on DC only and do not require an inverter to be on in order to use them. Much different with the Hydro-Hot, but I don't have that. I run the furnaces and the hot water heater on gas whenever I need to while driving down the road. With the residential refrig in mine, I installed a dedicated inverter so I don't have to run the main inverter and deal with it's associated phantom loads and overhead. Since we boondock so much, our coach was special ordered and built with boondocking in mind and it could not work any better, but standard factory units will be set up quite differently.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:50 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gas furnace while driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandcanyon View Post
Hello! Like I have posted we just ordered a new Allegro Red two weeks ago at the Hershey show and I'm being told that my unit should be ready by early December, the dealer is in Buffalo NY and as we all know that is not a good time of time of the year to pick up a new MH, is the basement where the water and the holding tanks are heated?? Do I have to have the furnace going while driving to heat the tanks?? I'm exited to get the MH but not exited about picking it up in the snow and ice!!!! Any recommendations from the pros out there?? I will be driving this back to Phoenix AZ.

Thank You,
Here is the CORRECT answer from the furnace manufacturer:
Can I use my furnace while driving?

No. Suburban does not feel this is a safe practice. Some states have laws forbidding the use of propane while driving. You should be sure all gas appliances are off and their ignition systems are off while the vehicle is in motion or being towed.

Airxcel | Suburban Manufacturing Service

Try using the light bulb as previously mentioned or a ceramic heater on low (not close to flammable wires/platic and use your generator to power it. Also use electric heaters in coach - front coach heater won't keep you warm.
If you have them, and temp is above 40 degrees, you can also use the heat pumps in the air conditioner to warm the coach. Of course, if the temp is above 40 degrees (Buffalo in December), you don't need to worry about the wet bay.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #11
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandcanyon View Post
...Also will the furnace run with just the inverter or do I have to have the generator running while I do this??...
The furnace runs off propane and 12V. You won't need the inverter for the furnace, but you will if you have a residential refrigerator.

If you want to run an electric heater in lieu of running the furnace, you will need to run the generator.

paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED2010 View Post
Here is the CORRECT answer from the furnace manufacturer:
Can I use my furnace while driving?

No. Suburban does not feel this is a safe practice. Some states have laws forbidding the use of propane while driving. You should be sure all gas appliances are off and their ignition systems are off while the vehicle is in motion or being towed.

Airxcel | Suburban Manufacturing Service

Probably the most widely violated NO in all of RVing.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:34 PM   #13

100% of non-residential refrigerators run on propane, on the road!!
Old 09-25-2014, 07:26 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIDan View Post
100% of non-residential refrigerators run on propane, on the road!!
Totally WRONG!!!

I run my Norcold 1210 gas/electric fridge on 120 volt power while driving using the inverter outlet meant for the ice-maker (I don't use the icemaker). Inverter runs off of the coach (house) batteries and batteries are charged by the 160 amp (1920 watt) chassis engine alternator. Fridge only uses 3.6 amps (432 watts) of 120 volt electricity. No need to run the Onan generator and no increased fuel usage. Have run this way driving for 12 continuous hours ( had to get back to work ) without decreasing battery voltage as alternator still has enough "juice" to keep the chassis and coach batteries fully charged. When camped, inverter automatically bypasses to shore power so no need to change plug or switch to propane. Lots safer than using propane while driving (yeah I know everybody does it) and no propane usage.

Tags
heating, winter