Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2022, 03:44 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Do I have a problem - pictures attached

Click image for larger version

Name:	safety plus.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	348.7 KB
ID:	373801So we had a front tire blow out a while back and finally got the coach fixed. The blowout was bad, took out hydraulic hoses, a lot of paint and body work, cracked the tiles on the steps going into the coach.

First trip and feel like the handling was off. They had to put a new wheel on the coach but don't think they balanced it after putting the wheel on. Take it to my tire place and they balance both front tires, way out of balance, but all good.

Happened to be under the coach looking at the safety plus and think I have a problem with a bent "rod" that the safety plus attached too. I am not a mechanic so not sure what it's called but it sure doesn't look right and it even looks like the safety plus has twisted. I've sent pic's to safety plus but wonder if anyone can tell me from the pics if I do have a problem, how severe it is, and is it safe to drive any distance. I'm embarrassed to say I didn't notice it before and we just drove 900 miles with it like this. Appreciate any comments. Oh, if it's an issue, take it to Tiffin? We aren't far from there.

Not sure what happened with the pictures, sideways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	safety plus3.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	512.4 KB
ID:	373802  
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2022, 04:04 PM   #2

I believe the tie rod is bent. I'd be surprised if you don't have some tire wear as a result. I would get this coach on an alignment machine ASAP to have it checked.
Old 08-15-2022, 04:12 PM   #3

Tie rod bent and mounting plate for shock has moved (see scrape/rusted area)

Definitely some shop time
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 04:39 PM   #4

I keep looking at that picture and thinking that's your drag link, although it is bent and the steering thing is falling off.

Does that rod run front to back or right to left under there ?

Front to back, steering wheel will be off center, right to left, tires will be out of alignment.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 03:44 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That should be on a PG chassis. It appears that the drag link is bent. If thatís bent, there could also be more damage on the independent suspension. Urge you to find a shop that handles PG chassis. Some of the larger Rush shops could do it. Also Tiffin can give you the names of shops that can handle the work in your area.
That must have been one heck of a blowout.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:16 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the help. It is the powerglide chassis and it was a big darn blowout and caused a lot of damage. I will certainly have all of it gone over when I get it in the shop. We are a few hours from Red Bay and had the alignment done by a place recommended by Tiffin, can't remember the name right now, but calling them in the morning to see if they can repair and I guess another alignment with any other issues they find.
Old 08-23-2022, 04:48 PM   #7

Very sorry to hear about your very destructive blowout. I just put TYRON'S on the front tires of my Phaeton 40IH and after reading your predicament, I am so grateful I did. Wishing you a speedy resolution.
afisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 05:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
Thanks everyone for the help. It is the powerglide chassis and it was a big darn blowout and caused a lot of damage. I will certainly have all of it gone over when I get it in the shop. We are a few hours from Red Bay and had the alignment done by a place recommended by Tiffin, can't remember the name right now, but calling them in the morning to see if they can repair and I guess another alignment with any other issues they find.
I'm surprised the alignment shop didn't catch that the first time. I'm not sure I'd be going back to them especially if they are going to charge for another alignment. Typically a good alignment shop looks for anything else that could be wrong, more so after something like happened to you.
Old 08-23-2022, 08:18 PM   #9

Appears the SafeTsteer did it's job.. I'm wondering whether the stresses caused by the device contributed to the bending. Can't imagine all of that force without it in place.
Old 08-23-2022, 08:24 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Sorry about your tire blowout, and all that damage. Glad everyone was safe.

Was it difficult to maintain control? Do you believe the Safe T Plus helped maintain control?

How old was the tire?
JohnCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 10:30 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Don't want to create a debate, that often happens, so these are only my comments.

The safety plus performed exactly as advertised. We were in the slow lane on the Florida turnpike at 4:30pm on a Friday, with heavy traffic, doing 65mph. When it blew I hit the gas (I think this is mainly advised to keep one from hitting the brake), had control immediately, and slowly moved to the emergency lane. The coach did not move or dart left or right, and felt in control the entire time.

I personally will never own another coach without having this installed. My views, maybe others disagree. When I installed it I did not need it for control from trucks or wind since we have a tag axle, I wanted it simply in case of a tire blow out. I will say, it did improve the handling on extremely windy days, something I didn't even realize I was fighting a little bit in the past.

Tags
problem