Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2021, 04:48 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Dometic toilet won't hold water

I have a Dometic 8700 series toilet with a flush handle and no wall mount. The bowl does not hold water. It is draining into the black tank, not onto the floor. I read similar threads here about this and followed their advice to clean the seal with a toothbrush after soaking with CLR and then applying a thin film of plumber's grease to the seal, all to no avail. It still leaks. The ball that rolls into place when closed and out of the way when flushing seems to work ok, so I think maybe it's just the seal. I have 2 issues, though. One, I can't keep the valve open to really work on the seal. When I flush, it opens and then within seconds closes and it's rather forceful. Even if I hold the handle down, it closes and it's so quick there is no way I would get the new seal in that fast. There is no switch that I see, unless I'm missing something, that would allow the valve to open and then stay open. I called Tiffin and the guy didn't know what to do. He has only seen the toilet be replaced, which seems stupid for a seal that I can see, and I'm pretty sure is not the right answer. I also called Dometic but the recording said they are closed even though I called during business hours so not sure what's up with that. The second issue is that the only seals I can find on the internet are for the 300 series, not the 8700. Again, Dometic was closed and Tiffin no help. So does anyone know how to keep the valve open long enough to change the seal, and where can I find a new seal? Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2021, 06:00 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
8700 series have a macerator. Link provided below for 4300/4400 series which sounds like what you have - manual provides troubleshooting and seal replacement guide. Note: water and electric need to be turned off. Some have a cover on the top of the back that can be remove to access the manual override - others have a plastic plug you remove and/ the insert a rod or screwdriver to punch down for the override. With power off, it keeps the ball valve open for cleaning etc. You do have to remove the toilet to replace the ball valve seal. Manual gives good instructions.

https://marinesan.com/content/files/...s%20Manual.pdf

I have had luck with plumbers grease and filling with water to about the halfway mark to keep it from leaking down. Will likely tackle the seal sometime when not traveling - meantime - it still serves its intended purpose - good luck 😎
Fried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:25 PM   #3

Do you notice where water is leaking by seal......front, back, one side?
Food color...one drop and watch

Front or back...cam switch/flush ball alignment (have to remove toilet and turn it upside down

Otherwise...new SEALS
Remove toilet, separate bowl from base to gain access to seals
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 11:54 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the input. The manual for mine, the 8700, gives none of these instructions, so this was very helpful. I appreciate it.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:58 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the info. I will try this in the morning. The manual that came with the used coach has no instructions at all for what to do, and there isn't anything online either that I can find. Dealer/service is booked out for months.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:36 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmitchmd View Post
I have a Dometic 8700 series toilet with a flush handle and no wall mount. The bowl does not hold water. It is draining into the black tank, not onto the floor. I read similar threads here about this and followed their advice to clean the seal with a toothbrush after soaking with CLR and then applying a thin film of plumber's grease to the seal, all to no avail. It still leaks. The ball that rolls into place when closed and out of the way when flushing seems to work ok, so I think maybe it's just the seal. I have 2 issues, though. One, I can't keep the valve open to really work on the seal. When I flush, it opens and then within seconds closes and it's rather forceful. Even if I hold the handle down, it closes and it's so quick there is no way I would get the new seal in that fast. There is no switch that I see, unless I'm missing something, that would allow the valve to open and then stay open. I called Tiffin and the guy didn't know what to do. He has only seen the toilet be replaced, which seems stupid for a seal that I can see, and I'm pretty sure is not the right answer. I also called Dometic but the recording said they are closed even though I called during business hours so not sure what's up with that. The second issue is that the only seals I can find on the internet are for the 300 series, not the 8700. Again, Dometic was closed and Tiffin no help. So does anyone know how to keep the valve open long enough to change the seal, and where can I find a new seal? Thanks!
Just a follow up note: There are pro's and cons for buying used, and this situation is a good example of a "con." The literature you receive from previous owner and dealer is not necessarily reflective of what you actually have. The only toilet related information in my bag was a manual for a Dometic 8700 series toilet. What is actually installed is a 4310 Dometic. The folks at Dometic could not have been nicer or more helpful in figuring out what I had over the phone, and I was finally able to also locate the model number on the back of the toilet in a not very convenient place, just to confirm. Main office of Dometic put me in touch with Walt at the distribution center for the southwest. Walt was super nice, very knowledgeable, and extremely helpful. He is sending me everything I need to do the repair via 2 day delivery plus a correct manual, and gave me his personal line in case I had questions. In this day and age, it was great to get someone who wanted to help, was able to help, and I don't have to with 3 months for parts. Great customer service from these folks.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:45 PM   #7

Nice to hear Dometic stepped up......most times hear of Dometic NOT being very helpful

The link in post by 'Fried' covered the 4300/4400

My post suggested cam adjustments or new seals based on 4300/4400 that 'Fried' posted about

Good luck...hope you resolve it W/O much hassles
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 04:55 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Replacing those seals is very easy. I did it a few weeks ago.

Someone here suggested you have plenty of plumbers grease before you start. That is good advise. Grease the seals as you install them, and some on the large O ring that goes into the tank. I think I used a whole tube of the stuff.
Old 10-30-2021, 07:19 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Helen...On the 4310 if the flush mechanism stops working you can lift that small white cap and insert a screwdriver in and push down causing the toilet to flush. Something I learned by experience and thought I'd share with you.
RodneyLadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 04:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmitchmd View Post
Just a follow up note: There are pro's and cons for buying used, and this situation is a good example of a "con." The literature you receive from previous owner and dealer is not necessarily reflective of what you actually have. The only toilet related information in my bag was a manual for a Dometic 8700 series toilet. What is actually installed is a 4310 Dometic. The folks at Dometic could not have been nicer or more helpful in figuring out what I had over the phone, and I was finally able to also locate the model number on the back of the toilet in a not very convenient place, just to confirm. Main office of Dometic put me in touch with Walt at the distribution center for the southwest. Walt was super nice, very knowledgeable, and extremely helpful. He is sending me everything I need to do the repair via 2 day delivery plus a correct manual, and gave me his personal line in case I had questions. In this day and age, it was great to get someone who wanted to help, was able to help, and I don't have to with 3 months for parts. Great customer service from these folks.
Could you please pass along Walt’s contact info - thank you.
dmitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 07:48 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
It’s all fixed but it’s not that easy. Too bad it isn’t designed better. You have to pull the toilet and it’s a pain. Probably just the cam needed adjustment, but since you have to go to such hassle to get to it, I went ahead and had the ball valve, seals and everything else in the kit that Dometic sent replaced as well. The parts aren’t that expensive and I didn’t want to go through all of that just to have to do it again if it turned out to be more than a cam adjustment. I sure wish that thing was more conveniently located so that you could make the adjustment without pulling the toilet. Anyway, it’s done.
Old 11-07-2021, 12:36 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad you got the toilet fixed. They can be annoying for sure.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, toilet, water