Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2020, 06:56 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Door Awning

For several days now we have used our door awning, extends and retracts fine, however, when fully extended the end closest to the front of the coach angles down, about a 1.5-2 inch difference than the other end. In the fully retracted position awning is level. Is this extended position normal?
I pulled Dometic Manuel for the awning no mention of the angle position.
Thanks.
medcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2020, 07:33 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You will appreciate the down tilt in the awning when it rains. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. BTW, are you sure it is a Dometic? Tiffin has used Carefree for years and is now switching to Girard.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:29 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Awning tilt

We have a Breeze with the Dometic door awning but haven't used it yet. Just bought the coach, however our previous coach had the Carefree awning and they are designed to be "tilted" so that rain does run off and not accumulate in a "sag." I am going to assume your door awning is like ours and does NOT have brackets that run down the side the coach. The extension arms are also the support arms and scissor in and out under the cloth supporting it.

The tilt on the Carefree could be adjusted with a set screw that is located in the bracket of the arm that is attached to the rail that is attached to the coach side of the awning. Pretty simple adjustment. Extend the awning, locate the set screw and screw it IN to raise that side or OUT to lower that side. I would get on a ladder, extend the awning then lift the arm I was going to adjust with one hand to take the pressure off the screw, make the adjustment with an allen wrench with the other hand and test the height of the adjustment by letting the awning down.
I am not 100% sure the Dometic uses the same pitch adjustment but I DO know they use the exact same extension / retraction adjustment mechanism. I had to adjust the retraction as my awing was sticking out about 2 inches and rattling when we were driving. That looked so familiar I wonder if the Dometic and Carefree are manufactured in the same plant and distributed under 2 different names?
Old 01-28-2020, 06:05 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you, I will check that out
Old 01-28-2020, 12:55 PM   #5

If this just started happening, then likely the hitch pins are not properly seated in the clevis/arm joint on the awning arms. When I worked on mine, that was the problem. All the hitch pins needed to be properly pressed down into the clevis, which was not done at the factory. When a press fit pin works it's way up so one end of the pin comes out of the clevis part of the joint, it will drop the outer end of the awning arm down when extended.
Once you have the clevis pins properly positioned, there are two items that control the height of the awning when extended.
One is a set screw that contacts the frame of the mounting bracket that is attached to the coach.
The other is another set screw, that pushes against a coil spring that rests against the same mounting bracket. If the spring set screw is turned in enough, the weight of the extended awning will be supported by the spring. Otherwise, the awning will be supported by the solid set screw against the frame, so who knows why they would have designed in a spring set screw is.
I could not find any information from owners manuals for the proper adjustments of the set screws, so I adjusted mine so the weight of the awning was supported by the springs, with the solid set screw used as the secondary support, if the awning gets depressed for some reason.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:51 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you for the info, it was spot on, awning level with very slight tilt to one side, thanks again.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:23 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Glad to help. This is a really good place to find answers to your questions. I see you have only posted a few times. I am fairly new as well. 3 years with an RV. Some of the people have been RVíing for YEARS and most likely somebody has encountered what ever issue or question you may run into and are more than happy to help!
Stan
Putter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:45 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I deploy the door and side awnings, I have the door open and watch the movement.several time I've noticed when extending the door awning it sticks on one end and is not moving straight and smoothe. I give it a small push and all is good to go. I've lubricated and verified no issues with it . But it is a moving part that requires monitoring.
jaearhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaearhart View Post
When I deploy the door and side awnings, I have the door open and watch the movement.several time I've noticed when extending the door awning it sticks on one end and is not moving straight and smoothe. I give it a small push and all is good to go. I've lubricated and verified no issues with it . But it is a moving part that requires monitoring.
If it only sticks at the very beginning of extension, then an adjustment may be in order to eliminate the sticky location.
If one awning doesn't extend very well, most likely the gas strut is leaking and will need to be replaced some time. If you can extend the awning a foot, then get up on a ladder and push each end of the awning back toward the coach,
one end will push very easily compared to the other.

Tags
awning, door