Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2013, 05:03 AM   #1

Door switch panel lights Tiffin RED

Just purchased a 2011 Red. The door panel lights always burn on. Is this normal? Should turn off when the coach door is closed? One is already burned out. Would like to avoid having these burn all the time.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2013, 06:25 AM   #2

Just to clarify. Regardless of whether the door to the coach is open or closed this switch bulbs stay on. They are 12v and I assume will be a big drain on my coach batts as well as the bulbs will eventually burn out. Any ideas or thoughts?
Old 02-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #3

I own the same and that is normal operation. Having said that I had the top row all burn out and called Tiffin parts and they sent me the replacements at NC. They also sent me a diode to install in line for the power that supplies all of the lights. They said the voltage was too high for them and would continue to burn out the bulbs and the diode would reduce the voltage and therefore stop the bulbs from burning out.
Frankly I disconected most all of them and also changed the wiring so that you did not have to turn on the key just to put out or take in the awnings.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
I own the same and that is normal operation. Having said that I had the top row all burn out and called Tiffin parts and they sent me the replacements at NC. They also sent me a diode to install in line for the power that supplies all of the lights. They said the voltage was too high for them and would continue to burn out the bulbs and the diode would reduce the voltage and therefore stop the bulbs from burning out.
Frankly I disconected most all of them and also changed the wiring so that you did not have to turn on the key just to put out or take in the awnings.
Thanks for the info. We have one burned out already. I have heard about the them running hot somewhere else. Did you just call them up and they provided the parts? How difficult was it to change as well as eliminate the lights? Until now, I have not worked on very many electronics but willing to try.

I also heard of others replacing these with LCD and I guess that would help with the drain while dry camping.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Door Panel Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasnealy View Post
Just purchased a 2011 Red. The door panel lights always burn on. Is this normal? Should turn off when the coach door is closed? One is already burned out. Would like to avoid having these burn all the time.

We have a 2010 36 QSA with a similar light panel. Read about the problem with the lights burning out on the TRVN web site, and prevented the problem by installing an in-line SPST (Single Pole, Single Throw) switch in the wire that goes to all the lighted switches. You can get a switch at any Radio Shack for $ 2-4 depending on how fancy you want to be. You can also install resistors to dim the lights or potentiometers to vary their intensity. Very simple to install - remove faceplate, drill 1/2" hole and wire switch in-line to lights then turn them off when you don't need them (most of the time). The lights that show whether the switch is on or off still function normally. Check the Tiffin RV Network (tiffinrvnetwork.com) web site for multiple solutions. Again, is very easy to do. Best of luck.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deasnealy View Post

Found exact info you are looking for on TRVN but you must join to access info. When you do (If not already a member), go to Search, enter "Door Rocker Switch Panel", go to next section and check "Topic Titles Only" then enter search and you should come up with the process on how to do this with full color pictures and the thread has switch part numbers from Radio Shack also.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED2010 View Post
Found exact info you are looking for on TRVN but you must join to access info. When you do (If not already a member), go to Search, enter "Door Rocker Switch Panel", go to next section and check "Topic Titles Only" then enter search and you should come up with the process on how to do this with full color pictures and the thread has switch part numbers from Radio Shack also.
Great solution. I will be working on it. Thanks for the directions.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #8

The switch was provided from Tiffin parts at N/C it was a simple install by cutting the yellos line that provides 13.6v to all the lights and incerting. The fact is the other method of cutting the line and installing a rocker on off switch does the same. I also removed the line that powers the lights as they are ON all the time and I did not want that.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I have to work on mine too. I really just want the overhead switch to be lit. Sometimes it's so dark that I hit the "power shutoff" and then have to reset everything.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
switch lights

I purchased a smal battery operated motion led stick on light and put it by the switches