Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2021, 06:45 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Drawers open at Top

Many of my drawers are position in cabinets on sljdes.They have no lid that positions over them as in 2022 model that prevents items from popping up and rolling beneath cabinet. This position over slide opens to bottom and item often gets crushed or wedged in slide. I have tried netting and other cloth like hook ideas and nothing works short of not using drawers, cabinets at All.Even half capacity items when in transit can bump up and drop to below into slide. I added insulation behind cabinets and drawers. What next?
magbrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2021, 09:02 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by magbrowning View Post
Many of my drawers are position in cabinets on sljdes.They have no lid that positions over them as in 2022 model that prevents items from popping up and rolling beneath cabinet. This position over slide opens to bottom and item often gets crushed or wedged in slide. I have tried netting and other cloth like hook ideas and nothing works short of not using drawers, cabinets at All.Even half capacity items when in transit can bump up and drop to below into slide. I added insulation behind cabinets and drawers. What next?
I'm confused. What "drawers" are you speaking of? Upper level cabinets with lift up doors, or lower level, locking, pull out drawers? In the 5 years that we've owned ours, we've never had an upper cabinet pop open and spill anything out, and have only had a lower level dining room drawer pop open when the locking mechanism failed. But those drawer locks are easy to replace and I always keep spares in the RV.
May I suggest, if you have small, loose items somehow getting under your retracted slides as you drive, that you consolidate them in 1 or more small containers as an "ounce of prevention".
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:01 AM   #3

We have been RVing over 20 years in all types of coaches and never had anything pop out of a closed drawer. Suggest you limit what you are carrying in the drawers. Also arrange the loads so heavy items are in the lower drawers to prevent "bouncing around". Also have you weighed your coach and checked your tire pressures based on your coach's weight to soften the ride.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:32 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Posting your year and model will help along with what drawers are a problem.
As mentioned, we have never had anything pop out of a drawer.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:38 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I've never had anything pop out of a drawer either. Are you sure you are closing them completely for the latch to engage?
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 01:33 PM   #6

On my second Tiffin and have not had this issue, nor have I had it on an6 other RV I had owned. Are you overstuffing the drawers and what exactly are you referring to?
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:52 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
The drawers under dinnette booth, kitchen drawers that are beneath the counter, drawers in bedroom. They are all position over areas that slide out. If I hit a bump driving the item pops up and will fall out dropping to the space beneath the set of drawers. This space is the slide floor. When the slide is extending for setting up camp the item often gets dragged along.
The drawers are set up as in a dresser. You open a drawer and there's your contents. However they are positioned with no barrier to prevent the item from dropping through the gap. The drawers are secure and stay latched. The transit a rough road is what causes movement clarifies. I hope this clarifues. I have placed small cinch rods across the top and with the pull out pantry. The pantry pulls out of wall and the open side that tucks in the wall is a problem bc it too is on the slide. What is on the pantry will tip and land in the gap to get crushed or stuck beneath the slide.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:15 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Pictures would be of great help. All of the drawers you've mentioned would have catches on them attached to the cabinet frame to prevent them from opening when driving. Mine did. Have you checked those catches? I certainly can't believe all of them would not be latching securely. Maybe 1 or 2, but then they can be adjusted so they will latch shut. Sorry I don't have a picture of the latching mechanism for these drawers. I've got photos of the open drawers, but the latches are black & the cabinets dark stain, so they don't show. The latches are shaped like a "j" & are black plastic.

I don't know about your pantry, but mine had a lock that engaged when the engine was on. There was no way my pantry was coming open while underway, unless I specifically pressed IN on the button to unlock it. See circled item on attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pantry lock.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	350666  
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 07:24 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by magbrowning View Post
Many of my drawers are position in cabinets on sljdes.They have no lid that positions over them as in 2022 model that prevents items from popping up and rolling beneath cabinet. This position over slide opens to bottom and item often gets crushed or wedged in slide.
Your description seems to be baffling us all. It would help to know what year and model you have and whether you bought it new or used.

All of my drawer-type cabinets have open tops where items could theoretically bounce out on a very rough road but if they did they'd just fall onto the cabinet floor which moves along with the cabinet. The only way something could get crushed by the slide moving in and out would be if there was a hole in that floor or the cabinet floor was removed for some bizarre reason. As stated by others, the only way something could get in the "crush" zone would be if the drawer was open/unlatched and something bounced outside of the open drawer. It sounds like you either have a very old rig or someone has modified it...or we're just not understanding the issue. As said before...pictures would be of great help.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:55 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeskibuff View Post
Your description seems to be baffling us all. It would help to know what year and model you have and whether you bought it new or used.

All of my drawer-type cabinets have open tops where items could theoretically bounce out on a very rough road but if they did they'd just fall onto the cabinet floor which moves along with the cabinet. The only way something could get crushed by the slide moving in and out would be if there was a hole in that floor or the cabinet floor was removed for some bizarre reason. As stated by others, the only way something could get in the "crush" zone would be if the drawer was open/unlatched and something bounced outside of the open drawer. It sounds like you either have a very old rig or someone has modified it...or we're just not understanding the issue. As said before...pictures would be of great help.
The OP has a 2019 Open Road 34PA, purchased new. The drawers being described are either the three directly below the 3-burner stove top (if there is no oven), or the drawers beneath the dining room booth seats. We have the computer workstation and pullout table so don't have the drawers under the booth seat. For the life of me, I've never looked behind any of ours. Hard to imagine any means for objects to escape via any openings at the backs of these drawers to get to the rollers, but I can't say for certain that it couldn't happen, and my 34PA is away for it's winter maintenance shop visit, so I can't look myself. Anyone else have any knowledge of these pull-out drawer areas on the 34PA Passenger's Side Front (Kitchen) Slide?

To the OP, is this something that has already occurred? Or is it something you're concerned about? If you've had something make its way under the slide, is it possible that in the past something has fallen or broken on the floor (like a glass or similar) and some debris worked it way under the slide when it was retracted. With that scenario, anything on the floor that got under the slide from the inside could very well be crushed by the slide roller(s) when the slide extended. This happened to us when a pitcher fell to the floor and broke. No matter how thoroughly we thought we vacuumed/cleaned, we missed some glass that the rollers eventually found. The sound of glass being crushed by slide rollers when extending the slide was disturbing for sure.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:57 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I will send pics. The drawers don't open. There is no backing from the installed cabinets. The drawers slide in as they should. The rig is a 2019. There is no back frame that one would have in a set of residential drawers. When I tooka drawer out there was no frame for the cabinets. They slide to the against the actual slide. You can actually see the floor of your slide when I take out the lower drawer. So anything that bumps up in the drawer will drop to the slide area. There is no barrier f seperating set of drawers from the slide space.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:20 AM   #12

Are you saying you have no floor in the slide? If you don't then the bottom of the slide would be open to the elements when the slide is extended. If there is a floor I don't see how anything could get in the rollers.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:28 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm with those that don't understand how/why items are bouncing out of the drawers. I've never had that happen, not even in boats where bounces can get REALLY big.

That aside, it sounds as though the inside of the cabinet doesn't have either a back or a floor. It should be easy enough to buy some 1/4 or 1/8 inch 4' x 8' sheet of something (luan, comes to mind, but you could use anything). Cut pieces to fit the back and the floor of the cabinet, and use L brackets to attach them to the side of the cabinet. Now you've got a fully enclosed cabinet, so when items jump out of the drawer they'll land inside the cabinet rather than on the floor in the slide area.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:42 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Items in the drawers or pantry slide in, latch correctly. Items that fall out and end up in slide ware due to no barrier enclosing the drawers. If you pull out your pantry look inside and down. There is no wall to prevent dropping to gap that is slide. The pantry on a 34pa slides to open wall for toilet repair and access to work on slide. I use slim baskets and cyrtain cinch bars to stop transit shifting of items to the gap be each the pantry/drawer gap beneath.