Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #1

Drifting problem with the 28ft Allegro Breeze

We are looking to buy a Tiffin - we were looking at a used 28ft allegro breeze but heard that quit a few of them are being traded in due to problems with the steering on the highway because of the shorter wheel base - has anyone had problems with this or know anything about it - the owner of the rv we are looking at added a damper control on the steering but never said why - thanks for any feedback
dddonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #2

Do some research on this web site. A lot of info. there.

A Part of the TiffinRVNetwork • Index page
Old 07-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #3

Here's a link to my thread on the breeze 28 - the early Breeze's had a problem with handling but any of the later models it's fixed - mine steer's great.

A Part of the TiffinRVNetwork • Login
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Cthayer5
We have one of the new 32 ft. Breeze models. Just got it in May. Gave it a real "test drive in June". Almost 1800 miles on it. 50 mph winds on I-70 across Kansas, Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado ...narrow, winding mountain roads with 7% grade...mountain passes with sleet in Breckenridge, 109 degree heat across Kansas on the way back to Missouri. We love the RV. We have one reservation..and that is that you do not have a low gear to access on steep mountain grades. Anything less than 7% is fine, automatically shifts down to lower gears. But we could not manually downshift into a second gear on Wolf Creek Pass. It was quite frightening. We are experienced mountain drivers. We alerted Tiffin to the issue and they said they are working with Allen Transmission to correct the issue. Haven't heard back but am planning on making a call and writing to them now that we are back home. Other than that, it's the perfect size, has two slides, the shower is awesome, the bedroom is tight but comfortable, the storage is adequate...thank goodness the brakes are good (Wolf Creek issue again)...the engine CLIMBS mountains like a dream...going down the other side was the problem. I'm sure that Tiffin will work through this..perhaps an upgrade in the software for the transmission. The sink is a little small ...you have to be creative when doing dishes but we've been told that a bigger sink can be put in. Exhaust brakes are not an option. Tiffin said that there is no way to put an exhaust brake on this rig. The trick is to be very careful on steep grades, stop often to cool brakes, go VERY slow. Take your time.
Cthayer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #5

You can call Tiffin for a new Allison module or you can go to any Allison dealer and they can flash the memory and you'll have full control of all the gears - I can't believe Tiffin delivered that coach with no shift capability - you can't ride brakes down a mountain.

Here's a link to my post on the matter:

A Part of the TiffinRVNetwork • Login

Thanks

Mike
Old 07-19-2011, 05:52 AM   #6

Thanks for help

Thanks Mike for your help. We called Allison as soon as we got a cell signal. They were baffled by the issue. We could downshift to 4-3 and that was it. We needed 4-2 on those mountains, at the very least. We have travelled that pass numerous times in our Class C (4 Winds, Ford E-450) with no problems, in second gear. When we hit the high (7%) grade, going down, the transmission wouldn't hold 4-3 and would shift into 4-4 as soon as we hit 35-40 mph. We also called Tiffin and were told that they were "aware of the problem and working with Allison for an upgrade but Allison hadn't come up with something that Tiffin would back yet". They told us to call back in about a month for further information.

We bought the RV, sight unseen and had never driven a Tiffin but had full faith in their quality. Still do. I'm sure they'll come up with a solution (hopefully before next trip to mountains!!)... Have you heard of this issue with the Breeze before? We thought maybe since they were so new, there hadn't been any taken across a pass that steep before.

Thanks for your advice. Will follow up with Tiffin again.

Christi
Old 07-19-2011, 06:46 AM   #7

Like I said Tiffin can send out a transmission module or you can pull into any Allison transmission shop it only takes a few minutes and you'll be good to go.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:06 AM   #8

Allison Transmission on Breeze

Thanks alot for all your advice, Mike. You are a great contact. Called Allison yesterday. They gave us a location here in St. Louis. Will take the RV in asap.

Christi

P.S. We averaged 16.2 mpg on that trip in and out of the Rockies!! (Course some of it was going DOWNhill... REALLY downhill! :-)
Old 07-20-2011, 12:03 PM   #9

Great - Tiffin is really taking a liability chance sending those coaches out with the downshift disabled - as you know if you ride those brakes all the way down a hill you could easily find yourself in big trouble.

By the way - don't go by the on board computer for mileage - it is way off - from what I'm hearing 10-12 is tops which really ain't bad.

Enjoy your new coach

Mike
Old 07-21-2011, 07:45 AM   #10

Hey Mike, Thanks again for the advice. Just got off the phone with Mr. Tiffin. He called personally to let me know that there is a fix for the transmission and to thank me for the email I sent them. They are taking care of the problem and have given me the address of an Allison dealer here in St. Louis. Also...for those who are interested. The new 2012 model Breeze has a double sink in it!!! That may not sound important to all the motorheads out there, but if you wash dishes...you know! I'm going to have it installed in our Breeze. Thanks again...this thread made things so much less complicated for us.

Christi
Old 12-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthayer5 View Post
Thanks alot for all your advice, Mike. You are a great contact. Called Allison yesterday. They gave us a location here in St. Louis. Will take the RV in asap.

Christi

P.S. We averaged 16.2 mpg on that trip in and out of the Rockies!! (Course some of it was going DOWNhill... REALLY downhill! :-)
Where did they say the Allison shop was? I know of one in St. Charles Co. - Clark Power Equipment in Wentzville. I like them and they are a full Allison distributor/repair shop. I will talk to them about the transmission in my BR32!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #12

Hi Steve and Joan!
Clark is the company that did the upgrade on our transmission. We also had to have an alignment done. The front was off by 2 degrees, pretty big deal. We took our Breeze to Kenworth Trucking on the outer road of Route 44. Are you all from this area? Clark was great. Took about 10 minutes and they have the software to do the upgrade. Kenworth has all the information for the steering issues too. Oh, also, we keep 85 lbs. of air in all the tires. That helped alot. But mainly it was the alignment..WOW what a difference. No more fading, bouncing, getting knocked around by trucks, suv's. It is a wonderful coach now.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthayer5 View Post
Hi Steve and Joan!
Clark is the company that did the upgrade on our transmission. We also had to have an alignment done. The front was off by 2 degrees, pretty big deal. We took our Breeze to Kenworth Trucking on the outer road of Route 44. Are you all from this area? Clark was great. Took about 10 minutes and they have the software to do the upgrade. Kenworth has all the information for the steering issues too. Oh, also, we keep 85 lbs. of air in all the tires. That helped alot. But mainly it was the alignment..WOW what a difference. No more fading, bouncing, getting knocked around by trucks, suv's. It is a wonderful coach now.
Christi,
Yes we are from the "area" We live in Foristell, just west of Wentzville. We have used Both Clarke and Kenworth. Liked Clarke, which is just about 10 miles from us, but did not like Kenworth...We were sent to Kenworth by the RV dealer and found Clarke on our own. So, I take it Kenworth did your alignment? I realize I need to have an alignment done because our coach dances around also, like the front tires are toe'd out. I have also purchased a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer but have yet to put it on. Word is it helps greatly with lateral stability (or lack of same in the Breeze) Thanks also for the info on the tire pressure.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:44 AM   #14

We had a good experience with Kenworth. Will go back, if needed. When I asked; the dealer, Kenworth, and Tiffin about steering stabilizers, they all said that there are stabilizers on it. Tiffin said to try the alignment "before we start adding things to the coach". The alignment took care of problems. My husband can drive and take a drink of coffee or take his hand off the wheel to operate the shades, etc. Couldn't do that before and yes, the toe alignment was the one that was 2% off. After the alignment, Kenworth had to reposition the steering wheel. It was so far off that the center bar was at 5 and 11 o'clock. Not sure how that happens or why but we're glad it's fixed.

Our rv was the third (32BR) off the line and we had quite a few problems that have since been fixed (both on the new models and on ours) but we really love it now. If you put that stabilizer on after the alignment, please let me know how it works...might consider that too. Always looking for something to help fight that wind! :-)

Christi