Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2017, 10:39 PM   #1

DVD and Site Cable

Hi Everybody
We are new to the RVing, We have been on water for the last 15 years. We have a 2014 36LA and i would love to know how to make the cable work when you pull in and the camp spot has cable. Also i cant get the DVD to play at any of the four TVs, im sure it a EZ fix. Can someone please make a list of what to do for the DVD and Cable at site.
RideAHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2017, 12:47 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
If your air antenna is powered (light on) you will need to turn it off and then using the tv remote enter the menu and do two things. Make sure the mode is on cable and then run an auto channel search. I give this same advice to my customers at the park I manage and it always works. We always proof the cable signal at the pedestal connection, using s small portable tv. As stated above, if you still don't gat a good signal run the cable thru a window directly to the park pedestal connection. If still no signal replace the supply cable (cat6)
Each park you visit will require a new channel search. If you are near a large city, you will often find that your air antenna will pull in more channels than the
park cable supplies. Again, correct input mode and auto channel search...
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:50 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Your DVD must be inline with the main cable to your TV input connection. Usually connected just before the TV. You may have an AB switch which connects the DVD to the TV.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:54 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
To watch a DVD in our coach we had to choose the proper " input " on the TV then the dvd player has a remote of its own. Don'r assume just because there's a cable drop at your campsite that it works. We always ask at the front desk upon check in if theres any issues. Often the welcome packet from your campsite will give a list of available cable channels
RodneyLadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:36 AM   #5

I'm always amazed at how 'un easy' these coaches can be when it comes to everyday technology, like TVs and watching Antenna or Cable... sometimes it can't seem any more confusing than in a Motorhome!

though, the factories DO have a difficult time trying to please all of us:

-watching a DVD, sounds simple, but we also want to watch it on ANY of our TVs, or we only want to watch it on ONE tv, while others watch something else on the others!

-watching Antenna(over-the-air, off-air, various names!) TV for local channels, which requires separate power to the antenna

-watching rv park or campground provided CABLE Tv channels, requiring a separate coax cable attached from the park output to our coach input(somewhere!)

-watching Satellite tv, thru our receiver, from our Satellite antenna, but also wanting to watch a DIFFERENT satellite channel on another tv!

-watching streaming data VIDEO from our smartphone, or tablet...

... it's no wonder it's such a difficult proposition for manufacturers.. while there are many companies to engineer and build devices to help make these connections happen easily, it's just not an easy logistical option.

Our BOMB(Box Of Many Buttons) above the couch, in the cabinet, has many cables coming into it, a Green light, and a LOT of buttons. It's difficult to understand even when you think you understand it.

Just when I think I've 're engineered' our coach to better service our needs, rewiring many of the coax cable runs, and making my own satellite cable runs from the roof top satellite antenna, something goes amiss and I'm scratching my head again!

sorry, what was your question again?

no worries, enjoy your travels....
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAHD View Post
Hi Everybody
We are new to the RVing, We have been on water for the last 15 years. We have a 2014 36LA and i would love to know how to make the cable work when you pull in and the camp spot has cable. Also i cant get the DVD to play at any of the four TVs, im sure it a EZ fix. Can someone please make a list of what to do for the DVD and Cable at site.
We have a 2014 34TGA which probably has identical electronics. You have gotten good advice on cable vs. over the air antenna. If the little green light is on the antenna amplifier (mine is in the upper left corner behind the bedroom tv) then it is set for the over the air antenna. If it is off, then it is set for cable. Make sure your tv setup is for the right signal and do a channel search. One wrinkle ... some cable systems have gone digital only and require an adapter from the campground office in order to work. Getting one of those set up is a royal pain!

Regarding DVD ... it goes to the televisions by way of an amplified HDMI splitter that is buried in a screwed closed box way in the upper back of the area behind the bedroom tv in my 34TGA. My 2014 was built without any kind of active ventilation of this enclosed area and the amplifiers (another one for the satellite dish receiver) are known to overheat and die. Usually it is the "wall wart" power supply that dies and it can be replaced.

Before you tear things apart, make sure you have everything set up right. The DVD player must be turned on and the TV input must be cycled through to the input for the DVD player. That is done by pushing the input button on the remote until you get a signal from the DVD player. Try all TV's to see if you can get DVD from any of them. If one or more works, then the splitter is probably ok but the HDMI cable to that TV may be loose at one end or the other. I have had cables vibrate loose at either end. If no tv has DVD, then either the splitter is dead or the cable from the DVD player to the splitter has come loose.

Once it all finally gets working, it really is pretty good!

2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
gorwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:47 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Tiffin wires their coaches very different than other manufacturers because they take advantage of the switching properties in the individual televisions. Each TV is independent but has the capability to select the program source. So with three TVs, you can watch three different sources of programing - OTA TV or cable, DVD, and Satellite.

So owners of other brand motorhomes try to help, but usually end up confusing a Tiffin owner. Gorwig has done a good job explaining how your coach AV equipment works.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:44 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have the Same RV as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAHD View Post
Hi Everybody
Ok I have the exact same model of RV.
To watch cable You go to the TV main menu then setup and then change the input of the 42" Panasonic TV to cable then do a auto search. Make sure the over the air antenna amplifier is turned off. You have to do this at each place you stop. To watch additional TVs it is the same process with the exception that you must select TV instead of setup as there is no setup button.
To watch Over the air turn on the Antenna amplifier and change the input to antenna and do a auto search.
To watch DVDs or BlueRay you must change the TVs input to HDMI 1. This applies to all four TVs.
To watch Satellite you must select the HDMI 2 input. There is a selection switch for the satellite signal. A is for the dish on the roof and B is for a portable dish connected to the satellite connector in the wet bay.
Happy TV watching. Any further questions PM me.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:55 PM   #9

Wow, thank you everybody so much, this is great.
RideAHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:44 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
In a similar situation with my '09 Allegro Bus. Just got Comcast internet and cable TV. Internet is working fine. Found the cable above the passenger seat from the outside tripod input, and attached it to the cable modem and cable box.

But now I am not sure how to watch cable TV on the televisions. Do I turn off the power antenna and scan for channels? I got a box from Comcast, so assuming I need to use it to watch cable channels? If so, how do I get tv channels from this single box to multiple TVs?

Thanks for the assistance. Have never hooked up cable prior to this, not sure how the bus is wired.