Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2022, 08:21 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Electical Loads on Line 1 and Line 2, Allegro RED

I just had an RV outlet installed at my home. It's only the 30 Amp TT-30 receptacle. For only occassional use this was far cheaper than installing a 50 Amp outlet. And, can easily handle any load in the coach. I just have to be careful which items are running simultaneously. Not a probelm when I usually just bring it home for trip prep, post trip unloading and cleanng, and routine maintenance that I am capable of.
This allowed me a chance to cycle through all the major electical loads and, using the PI EMS, see just how many amps each item drew, and whether that load was on Line 1 or Line 2.

Not surprisingly, the microwave over was by far the biggest load. The 2 heat pumps were next.

If anyone is interested I could list the amps each load was pulling, and which Line it was on.
JohnCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2022, 09:37 PM   #2

Much appreciated if you would list your findings. Thanks
Robert
2021 RED 38KA
RJEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:23 PM   #3

yes please list
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 05:53 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
interested for sure......thanks
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:32 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the interest. Here is the info on electrical loads.
Line 1:
Microwave: 21 Amps
Front Heat Pump: 13 Amps
Fireplace (on High): 13 Amps
Engine Preheat: 7 Amps
Entertainment System (all 4 TV's on, DVD/SS playing): 4 Amps
Refrigerator: 2 Amps

Line 2:
Rear Heat Pump: 14 Amps
Mid-Coach A/C Unit: 10-11 Amps (not much load, cool outside)
That's it on Line 2.

Note: with no loads "on", there is a 1 amp draw from charging batteries. So, you could subtract this from each of the above readings on Line 1.

I also checked out the 120v outlets inside the coach (not in the basement) to see which outlets were supplied/protected by either of the 2 GFCI receptacles, one in the mid-bathroom, the other in the master bathroom.
Mid-bath: Kitchen, passenger seat area.
Master bath: Living room receptacles.
The receptcles near the driver's seat and the fireplace are not protected by a GFCI (my outlet tester would not trip a GFI).

The good news for me is that with my new 30 Amp RV outlet at my house, I can run any 2 loads simultaneously except the microwave with another big load. With the 30 amp supply, I do have power on Lines 1 and 2 (split in the 30/50 adapter), but still only have a total of 30 amps available. As opposed to 50 amps available on both lnes with a 14-50R receptacle. This will be all I need as long as I manage the total load to be under 30 Amps.

One thing I didn't do was to plug in a large load into some of the recptacles - like a space heater - to see which receptacles were fed from L1 or L2. Next time. Maybe next time I have the coach home, I will check this and also check out the basement receptacles, which probale make up the 3rd GFI circuit.
I did previously find out that the Engine Preheat shares a circuit with the Central Vacuum system. Knowing I do not need the preheat about 95% of the time being in the south, I turned off the breaker labeled Engine Preheat, and lost the vacuum. Makes sense since both are plugged into basement receptacles. The vacuum is itself a big amperage draw. When I only had a standard 120v 20 amp outlet to plug the MH into, my home breaker would sometimes trip from running the central vacuum.

All in all, good to know some of the above to help manage loads when you only have a TT-30R outlet. With a 14-50R, or your generator running, you can pretty much let it rip.

Cheers.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:47 AM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
I would double check the Microwave wattage, it should be a lot less for running watts (amps). ~CA
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCZ View Post
One thing I didn't do was to plug in a large load into some of the receptacles - like a space heater - to see which receptacles were fed from L1 or L2.

Certainly of interest while on 50 amp (two separate hots) but it is "all the same" on 30 amp service, as there is only one hot.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:00 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I would double check the Microwave wattage, it should be a lot less for running watts (amps). ~CA
I agree!

If it was installed in a house (which it was made for), it would be tripping the breaker every time it was used!
Old 01-25-2022, 11:08 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Certainly of interest while on 50 amp (two separate hots) but it is "all the same" on 30 amp service, as there is only one hot.
Agreed. I think I also noted that. There is only one hot at the TT-30R receptacle. But, the 30/50 dog bone does split that one hot into two hots, Line 1 and Line 2, coming into the motorhome. So, even though the limit is still 30 amps, everything in the coach does have power.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:18 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I also agree. That did seem high when I did it. I should have double checked for something else on Line 1 adding load. It seemed high to me as well. Even if 1-2 amps was from the battery charging. Even 19 amps is much too high for the microwave.

I may be going to where the coach is stored today. If so, I will recheck this and post back on results.

With all the other readings I took, I made certain these were isolated loads, other than the 1-2 amps from charging, and maybe 1 or 2 lights on.

I must have screwed up on the MW. The first reading I took heating up my coffee (maybe the Kuerig warmer still on?).
Old 01-25-2022, 11:20 AM   #11

I agree with the others, the microwave is off, even if you subtract the 1 amp you say was the battery charger you are still too high. I have never seen a 120 volt microwave draw that much and most are well under 15 amps. Look at the plug configurations below, a 5-15 is limited to 15 amps, if your microwave draws more it would be equipped with a 5-20. There had to be something else going on, or the microwave is faulty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nema 5-20.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	354667  
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:31 AM   #12

Regardless of which Line the Load is on.....total of 30A is all before tripping house 30A CB

Nice to know which item is fed from which buss bar and amp draw when using
Now it is a matter of 'energy management'
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:52 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Regardless of which Line the Load is on.....total of 30A is all before tripping house 30A CB

Nice to know which item is fed from which buss bar and amp draw when using
Now it is a matter of 'energy management'
Old-Bisquit - Exactly. That was the entire point of making the checks. Energy management when limited to 30 amps feeding all circuits.

Now, I just have to check on my microwave screw up.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:58 AM   #14
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Our microwave draws 14 amps. Just for comparison and reference, here's our load breakdown:

Leg 1
Front A.C. 12 amps
Water Heater 11 amps
Converter 2-10 amps
Rear Floor 6 amps
Fridge 2-3 amps
Block Heater 8 amps

Leg 2
Bedroom A.C. 12amps
Mid A.C. 12 amps
Clothes Dryer 11 amps
Washer 3 amps