Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2022, 05:57 PM   #1

Electric Slides (allegro Red 33AA)

No, not the line dance.

So we have the '19 33AA and the rear electric slides seem to wander out of sync easily. I could never catch the codes when it happened. On a couple of observations one slide would just stop and no code would show up at the controller. I started a thread with Lippert and the 1st tech was quite adament about observing the voltage throughout the operation of the slide.
I pursued that for a bit at the controllers which are easily accessible but I was not able to probe them while the slide was in operation. I attempted to pull a connector so I could insert a splitter connector but they were on there solid and I did not want to jeopardize the circuit board the connectors are soldered into.
The two slides (not the hydraulic ones) kept acting up. But once in a while they acted perfectly fine. Given we are on a six week trip with many stops I was not into ripping into the slide controllers etc. unless it became an emergency. At one point not long ago it was getting there. To get the slides in I had to lean on them while the wife pushed the buttons inside.
Reflecting on what the tech said, I reviewed the set up and charging. It seems that the house bank drives the slides, and there are 3 ways that bank is charged. The solar panels, the engine, or the inverter.
Looking at the algorithm for the parallel charging the house bank is charged based on the voltage between the chasis and house. Having two solar panels and an additional charger, I thought why not leave the RV on shore power while operating the slides.
I had not thought about monitoring the inverter house bank voltage without shore power attached but I may do that when we return home. With the charger active (and I have not checked with the genny running) the slides behave. It is a convenient monitoring point that is probably accurate enough. We have watched it while on shore power and it is stable at 13.6 or so. While we can leave the ignition on but without the engine running we don't like to because the current fluctuates much more operating the slides than when the engine is running and we are on shore power.
I thought I would pass this on because if your slides are erratic with the engine running while off shore power consider leaving the RV on shore power while operating the slides. It made a huge difference for us. We now start up leaving shore power attached with the engine running. I don't think the alternator is bad as when we arrive we go directly to float charge. There have been many days on the residential fridge on the inverter which gives some insight into the house bank status.

Behavior that led to all of this was one side would slow down or stop, then start again. I was never able to catch the codes on the controller when it happened.

Soooo-

If the Lippert slides seem a bit erratic, consider leaving the charger online via the genny or shore power. For one reason or another I think the algorithm that governs when the house is charged can cause some voltage fluctuations that drive the motors in the slides nuts.

It could also be that the house bank is getting old but they drive the microwave just fine when we take rest breaks while on the road. The inverter does not "drop out" due to low voltage etc..

P.S. we only have 4 golf cart batteries and I am thinking 6 is in the offing when they croak but I will have to reshape the plastic pan they ride in a bit.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2022, 06:32 AM   #2

As our trip continues, the slides are much better behaved if I leave the RV attached to shore power with the charger on. As well, we wait until the display indicates that house and chassis batteries are at the same voltage. I have also used the 5 tap return/extend procedure to resync.
BroDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allegro, electric, slide