RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2016, 11:38 AM   #1

Exclamation Electrical Problems

I recently bought a 1993 Allegro Bay 30' motor home and starts up and drives great. I may have to replace the shocks but that's not a big deal. My real problem is when I plug into shore power only my microwave and air conditioning work. None of the lights work until I flip the 12v switch. I know next to nothing about wiring and this is my first motor home, so I feel like maybe I'm being a dummy about a lot of this haha. But I'd appreciate some helpful advice/info on electrical issues!!

Thanks,

Steecan Fotz

SteecanFotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
The lights are 12 volt. What 12 volt switch are you switching on? There is a 12 volt disconnect next to the door which is also called a sales mans switch. If that switch is off it pretty much disconnect power from all the 12 volt stuff in the coach. Other things are also 12 volt like the water pump, furnace, vent fans and the fridge also needs 12 volts.

dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:55 AM   #3

Yeah it's the one next to the door. This might be a dumb question but if I'm plugged into shore power and have the 12v on am I wasting any battery power or am I getting all the power from the outlet?
Old 02-14-2016, 11:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteecanFotz View Post
I recently bought a 1993 Allegro Bay 30' motor home and starts up and drives great. I may have to replace the shocks but that's not a big deal. My real problem is when I plug into shore power only my microwave and air conditioning work. None of the lights work until I flip the 12v switch.I know next to nothing about wiring and this is my first motor home, so I feel like maybe I'm being a dummy about a lot of this haha. But I'd appreciate some helpful advice/info on electrical issues!!
Thanks,
Steecan Fotz
SteecanFotz
If the lights work when you "flip the 12V switch" I don't think you have a "problem".
IMO you only have a problem if the lights don't work when you flip the switch.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:12 PM   #5

This might be a dumb question but if I'm plugged into shore power and have the 12v on am I wasting any battery power or am I getting all the power from the outlet?
Old 02-14-2016, 12:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteecanFotz View Post
This might be a dumb question but if I'm plugged into shore power and have the 12v on am I wasting any battery power or am I getting all the power from the outlet?
No. When you are plugged into shore power you want to be sure that your inverter/charger/converter is turned on and that will allow your batteries being constantly charged.

Your converter is using the batteries as a filter so that your 12 volt system has a nice, noise free, flow of 12 volt power. Being plugged into shore power also allows you to use the 120 volt appliances like your microwave, air conditioner's, TVs and engine block heater.

Tags
electrical, ems, problems