Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2022, 09:01 PM   #1

Electronics hidden away

We recently purchased a 2018 Allegro Bus.

In the attached photo inside the cabinet is a ventilated area under those cables. I can see a green LED illuminated. I can't seem to figure out what is down there or how to open it. Based on the way that cabinet is made I can't open that drawer with the black handle.

Any ideas on what hides below and how to access it?

Many thanks for your input

Devoir
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hidden electronics.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	382069  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2022, 09:09 PM   #2

If it is similar to my previous coach entertainment center in the BR there should be two 4-way HDMI/Ethernet splitters that send ethernet to the other three TV's....Front, Outdoor, and LR. The fan is for cooling the splitters. On my previous coach there were four screws that held the top cover on. Also, a power switch that shuts off the fan and power to the splitters.

If everything is working, you don't need to go in there. They split the Sat/Cable/Live TV signals and Blueray I think.

The power switch must be on to enable the splitter and signal to the TV's.

Paul
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 02:58 AM   #3

Ditto what Paul said.
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 06:01 AM   #4

Pull hard on the black handle and you can access the space.
bsedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 06:20 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I expect that the 'drawer' is really just a piece of wood that's clipped in to place, probably with a clip in each corner, and as stated above giving it a good pull will get it to come out. I'd suggest a towel or something over the hinge on the left to prevent a scratch on the wood, because when it comes out it will probably come out all at once and it will likely hit that spot.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:02 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
To add just a bit more clarification. In that compartment There are two electronic boxes that distribute HDMI signal to all TV痴. They do this by converting HDMI so it can run over a CAT 5 cable. At each tv it is then converted back to HDMI. Two converters each at each TV. This way you have two different sources from your media cabinet to each TV. Typically Satellite and Blue Ray player.
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 11:28 AM   #7

Many thanks for sharing how to access this and what should be located inside.

The coach is in its normal storage spot.... "the SHOP" I hope to gain access to it soon. I will try pulling a little harder on the drawer handle.
Old 12-04-2022, 11:28 AM   #8

I知 pretty sure one of my splitter boxes has overheated and died. I知 only getting satellite signal to rear tv. Can you try to explain what I need for a replacement and how hard it is to actually pull the old one out and put the new one in? Is it pretty much plug and play? Do I need to find a mobile tech? Had it looked at when we were in RedBay last year and it worked for about 200 miles and died again. Too far to go back.
labcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 11:37 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by labcrazy View Post
I知 pretty sure one of my splitter boxes has overheated and died. I知 only getting satellite signal to rear tv. Can you try to explain what I need for a replacement and how hard it is to actually pull the old one out and put the new one in? Is it pretty much plug and play? Do I need to find a mobile tech? Had it looked at when we were in RedBay last year and it worked for about 200 miles and died again. Too far to go back.
I would try switching the power supply from the other splitter first. The transformers are a common failure point. The splitters don't fail that often.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:36 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
Quote:
The 登ld, original, style splitter boxes on our 2014 bus over heated and failed. Bought two of the newer ones that don稚 get hot. Replaced both of them in that compartment. It was an easy replacement and they talked me thru it. It痴 a common problem with the older ones.
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 05:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkorn View Post
The 登ld, original, style splitter boxes on our 2014 bus over heated and failed. Bought two of the newer ones that don稚 get hot. Replaced both of them in that compartment. It was an easy replacement and they talked me thru it. It痴 a common problem with the older ones.

May I ask where you found them? And is there a model number I would need? When you say 鍍hey talked me thru it was it someone from Tiffin? These connections have been a source of headaches since 2017 when we bought our Phaeton new. What wonderful thing it would be if we could get everything working the way it痴 supposed to!
labcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 07:10 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
If you search this forum ("splitter"), there is a lot of info on other brands people like because they run cooler and are less expensive.

Here is one thread.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/splitters-not-lighting-up-594994.html
Old 12-05-2022, 07:12 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Disclaimer ... don't know too much about the way the TV splitters work ... we don't seem to need them.

We also have them hidden behind that removeable panel with the black pull handle.

Comments:
1. Had everything connected to satellite when motorhome purchased.
2. Did remove panel once, to check what's behind ... could never get the panel back in, to clip-in properly ... always meant to remove OEM bad catch installation, catches were misaligned, be careful. One day will install magnetic catches.

3. For first years had Shaw Winegard satellite dish, now still on roof but not using it. Stopped satellite subscription & now instead use only Firestick (internet) & Live TV. Also don't use BluRay DVD; more than enough choice with live on air channels + Firestick, but then we only watch comedies, news, & sports, during mornings & when not golfing.

Have turned the splitters off & everything working properly with Firestick & Live on air. Only use 2 TV's ... eventually will remove the other 2 + all the associated unused wiring.

Everyone has different ways.
PI EMS HW50C, Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer
bneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 08:18 AM   #14
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
May I ask where you found them? And is there a model number I would need? When you say “they talked me thru it” was it someone from Tiffin? These connections have been a source of headaches since 2017 when we bought our Phaeton new. What wonderful thing it would be if we could get everything working the way it’s supposed to!
I have had to replace both of my splitters and several of the "receivers" due to some electrical problems. Here is the set I purchased from Amazon which comes with a splitter and four receivers for much less than OEM prices. The J-Tech model is totally compatible with the Triplevision receivers and run much cooler than the 8 way splitters used in 2016 and earlier models. I see the price is reduced from the $199 I paid for both of ours.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJE66PY

Also, here is a document showing the generic AV wiring on most Tiffin coaches.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AV-Schematic.pdf (885.5 KB, 26 views)
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote