Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2023, 06:17 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Emergency Exit Windows

Probably a silly question but cannot find any answers.

We have one large one in living area driver side & one smaller one in bedroom passenger side, both with red handles & emergency exits.

Do they hinge out from top (or bottom) when opening, or pop out if pushed.

Was always thinking about maybe leaving the red window closer handles in open position when temporarily leaving motorhome, for "can get in access" if entry door lock malfunctions.

Also keeping small tool set (incl. torx bits) inside in case locked in.

Hope never to find out.

Anybody have experienced or used ?

Thanks
PI EMS HW50C, Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer
bneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2023, 06:57 AM   #2

Mine swing out from a hinge on the top of the window. I have a 2021 Allegro Red 340.

Sent from my SM-G950U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Treetopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 07:35 AM   #3

I have one that swings from top hinge and one that pops out.

A good solution is to open each to see how it works. Then make opening them an annual maintenance task. They sometimes stick and need extra help. Not something you want in a panic exit.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 09:30 PM   #4

My living room window slides open and the bedroom window swings from the top.
Regarding being locked out, I just leave my front driver window unlocked in case we ever need to break in. I know that makes it easy for any others to break in also, but I need to live on the edge in some manner.
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 01:11 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I had to use a screwdriver to pry both of mine open. I sprayed silicone on the gaskets and now open them every time I use the coach. When they are stuck you would have to kick them to beak them free.
Old 03-21-2023, 10:37 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by bneumann View Post
Probably a silly question but cannot find any answers.

We have one large one in living area driver side & one smaller one in bedroom passenger side, both with red handles & emergency exits.

Do they hinge out from top (or bottom) when opening, or pop out if pushed.

Was always thinking about maybe leaving the red window closer handles in open position when temporarily leaving motorhome, for "can get in access" if entry door lock malfunctions.

Also keeping small tool set (incl. torx bits) inside in case locked in.

Hope never to find out.

Anybody have experienced or used ?

Thanks
Always best to state model and year.
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 05:05 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
to Jkorn

My post has rv info, it's a 2019 Tiffin RED 33AA. Was hoping others with same would reply.

Thanks
PI EMS HW50C, Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer
bneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 09:24 AM   #8

Has anyone actually tried to use a emergency window?????? I mean pretend you are in bed sleeping and suddenly you find yourself trapped by a fire. Here is a true (mostly) story I;ve posted before about our attempt to use a escape window.

Exiting the Discovery Emergency Window.

We tried to get out that “Emergency” window once in our last coach 18 years ago. We were a lot younger and definitely more limber back then. The following is my recollections of the mistakes I made.

Mistake #1: It would have made the Funniest Home Videos show for sure if Sharon would have let me submit it! After she agreed to try the escape for a safety lesson, to make it more realistic the first thing I did was to yell “FIRE! all “women and children first ….Hurry …Hurry …Hurry” trying to incite pressure as if it was a real emergency. She hopped up on the bed and opened the window and inserted the stick I had made that holds the window up. Then she flopped on her belly and tried to get her legs out by using her hands to push her backwards. To say that was funny is an understatement! She was on her belly moving backwards toward the window, the air mattress was moving around like waves in the ocean, pillows and blankets getting tangled up in her feet making her off center. She managed to get one leg out, but it was bent at an odd angle. As she tried to get the second leg out, she got hung up. One leg was in and one leg was out and she looked like she was doing the splits. Her pelvis was about halfway out of the window with the side opposite the butt resting directly on the window frame (boy that had to hurt, ya know?). "HELP" she pitifully cried. I yelled “hurry, the fire is getting closer”!

Mistake #2
I was laughing so hard I had a hard time seeing with the tears in my eyes. I ran outside and brought a step ladder to the window but since she was on her belly her leg wasn't pointing downward so she could stand on the ladder. It was sort of straight out of the window, like she was signaling for a left turn or something. "Put your leg down” I yelled. (Its funny, the knee doesn't bend in the correct direction when you are trying to exit a window while on your belly!)

Mistake #3: Obviously a ladder wasn't going to help much so I ran back inside and I started to pull her back in, only by then she was wiggling around so much she had knocked the window strut out causing the window to slammed closed on her butt trapping her on the window sill. She couldn’t go out, and she couldn’t come back in. By now her shouts of "help me" had drastically changed to yells of anger aimed at me! "Whose stupid idea was this anyway?" "Just wait till I get out of here!" "Stop laughing you dumb ass" and many more not appropriate for family entertainment.

Mistake #4
I told her to calm down. Don’t ever tell a hysterical crying woman to calm down! The results are not what you expect! By now her arms were tired and giving out causing her body to slump downward and making her one leg that was outside the window try and go upward, but the emergency window had slammed down making that impossible. Being an engineer, I knew the importance a good foundation was so I started to build one by stuffing pillows and blankets under her, her… well let's say trying to prop up her upper torso so she could rest a bit. In between screaming for help she said something to the effect of "don't get frisky on me now big guy". That is when I knew I had enough pillows stuffed under her upper half. Now that she could rest calmed down.

Mistake #5
I said "Ok let’s try this again". You would have thought she had been in the Navy the way the salty words came out! But I think the translation boiled down to "The He (double toothpicks) with this stupid idea and just get me out of this window YOU Made Me Get In", with emphasis only a woman can put on certain words. Of course, being a stupid male, I screwed up by trying to be technically correct and I said "ME? I made you do it?"

Mistake #6
After I got her out, and things calmed down she became less hysterical and more emotional when she saw I had been crying over concern for her safety. Being married for more than 4 decades taught me to never correct her and let slip that they were not tears of concern, but tears of laughing so hard at her trying to get her fat... um correction, I better say slightly larger than a teenager's butt out the window!

We left that experiment with the understanding that if we had to exit the motorhome in a hurry by using that darn small and too high window, that I was going out first, and fast as she would be pushing me. Then I was going to stand up, turn around and catch her as she slid out on her belly head first...and “watch where you put your hands this time bud”!!!! I don't think there is a snowballs chance in he "double toothpicks" that at our present age we will try that episode again. We have almost made it to the 5-decade mark of marriage and I sure don't want to screw up making it to the Golden Jubilee milestone by any silly suggestions about an emergency window ever again!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 03:51 PM   #9

So funny - still giggling. I am with RVtravel.com and would love to send your emergency window exit story to them if ok with you.
Nanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 06:10 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Don't mean to be sitting here laughting----But I am
Army 1st Sgt Retired
Peteniner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 06:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
So funny - still giggling. I am with RVtravel.com and would love to send your emergency window exit story to them if ok with you.
I don't mind. But please attach my name to it so others can't claim it.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, window