RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2020, 10:20 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Engine brake

The owners chassis manual on my new 340 AL says there is an engine brake and it has a switch so you can use it. It tells you how to use it but does not say where the switch is located. Go figure. Any ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2020, 10:25 AM   #2

Sign up and take a truck drivers class! It will provide valuable information and skill practice.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:29 AM   #3

Sorry I can't answer your question, but I assume you mean an exhaust brake.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Sorry I can't answer your question, but I assume you mean an exhaust brake.

Actually, on the 6.7 Cummins, more likely a VGT (Variable Geometry Turbo). Vanes close to provide back pressure/braking HP.

Likewise, sorry, but no idea where the switch is located. Shocked it is not in the chassis owners manual.

If Freightliner chassis, call them 800 385-4357 need VIN.

OR, call Tiffin.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Actually, on the 6.7 Cummins, more likely a VGT (Variable Geometry Turbo). Vanes close to provide back pressure/braking HP..
Yes, and that is typically called an exhaust brake.

https://www.uti.edu/blog/diesel/how-...e-systems-work

Engine braking is just what most any engine will do with a throttle plate closed at higher RPMs.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:44 AM   #6

You ISB has an exhaust brake, not an engine brake, as mentioned. As far as the switch goes, it should be somewhere in the area of the dash or side panel with the other switches. It may not be labeled, but may have a pictogram instead. Someone with an Allegro Red should be able to be more specific. I am surprised your owner's manual does not have a page which has all of the dash controls and lights identified.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
I am surprised your owner's manual does not have a page which has all of the dash controls and lights identified.
Identifying the dash light may be the key to figuring out which switch it is. Probably better than randomly hitting switches when going down an 8% grade!
Old 10-26-2020, 10:50 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
My 6.7 is typical (vgt exhaust brake) and the switch, next to the shift pad, is labeled “ENG BRK” (sorry bout the upside down pic).

And I agree with Grindstone - if this is new information to the driver, a lot of other things probably are too (like air brakes) and some training would go a long way towards safe, efficient operation of the vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0EE04CA3-241D-4CD3-9CE3-377893369BEC.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	306015  
Old 10-26-2020, 10:57 AM   #9

They label them Engine brake because all of them use the engine to slow you. Just like a foot brake of any design uses your foot to slow you.

The purists on here like to point out the differences, not that it matters, you got what you got.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Yes, and that is typically called an exhaust brake.

https://www.uti.edu/blog/diesel/how-...e-systems-work

Engine braking is just what most any engine will do with a throttle plate closed at higher RPMs.
Diesels don't have throttle plates.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:22 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Wow, I have never asked a question on this forum before and got less useful replies. I know what exhaust brakes are in all their forms (exhaust, Jake, and the variable Geometry turbocharger (VGT) etc). The manual says: "Your vehicle is equipped with an engine brake. The engine brake will assist in slowing your vehicle on a downhill grade. With the engine brake switch in the on position, release the accelerator and depress the service brake to activate the engine brake." There is nothing in the manual pointing to the switch location (photo etc) although I agree there should be.

The simple question was "Where is the engine brake switch?"
I have had numerous mis-wiring problems on my new coach all of which were discussed on this forum all of which I have so far fixed myself although I am saving a few for Tiffin in Red Bay. There are 2 places in the cockpit with blank switch locations I am now wondering if one of them should have been the Exhaust Brake switch.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:02 PM   #12

Ken

The exhaust brake switch should be located in the row of switches below the Allison shift pad

David
Old 10-26-2020, 03:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjon View Post
Wow, I have never asked a question on this forum before and got less useful replies..

Maybe you should have called Tiffin, vs asking such a basic operating question on a general forum! Can you imagine a question like that being asked out load at a truck stop full of professional drivers or on a trucker forum?
Old 10-26-2020, 04:02 PM   #14
PKI

Looked quickly in the manual and as you posted, I did not find that information.

Is this a 2020 or a 2021?

Tiffin - is a bit slow on the production of manuals. The 2021 chassis manual may not be quite up to full speed - Tiffin changed from Powerglide in 2020 to Freightliner chassis in 2021 and that is likely why the manual is short on information.

The brosure pictures of drivers center shows a row of switches to the right of steering column on the dash - look there. Edit: video below does not show this row of switches.

The steering wheel would be best place, but can't read what is there. Worth a look if not on dash.

Edit - betting 3.12 in this video shows the switch - likely one of those to rear of the shift pad.
Believe that was suggested prior, so maybe a standard default.

Tags
brake, engine