Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2022, 05:56 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Engine question need help?

I have a 2019 Allegro Open Road 36UA with Ford F-53 chassis.

I am totally stumped about why at certain times and I wish it was consistent but it's not. I was just starting to climb a hill on the way home and when I step on the gas it TOTALLY stalled with no gas and the engine sound like it was dead. I pumped the gas a few times at it caught and started up the hill. It has happened to me about 15 times since I have owned the coach in only the last 18 days.

It seems to be happening most of the time coming out of cruise control but not always.

To better describe the problem have you ever stepped on the gas and had the governor stop all forward movement and throttle? I am not at that speed as I am using this as an example of the results I am experiencing. Does the V-10 in the F-53 chassis not have fuel injection????

It is like that when you have a vehicle with no fuel injection and your climbing and not getting gas.

I am totally stumped and would not hope someone else has had this happen but if so what did you do to fix it?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2022, 07:08 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Look in your Ford Owners Manual for "Brake Over Accelerator". It states "Brake Over Accelerator - In the event the accelerator pedal becomes stuck or entrapped, apply steady and firm pressure to the brake pedal to slow the vehicle and reduce engine power." If you inadvertently touch and move your brake pedal while pressing the accelerator, this function will cut power under the presumption that your accelerator is stuck. I've experienced this on occasion with both of my Ford Chassis MH's. You need to be careful with your transition from brake to accelerator.

Sent from my moto z3 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Mike8253 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:32 PM   #3

On the 2019 32SA we had, this happened more times than I care to think about. And, it always occurred at the worst time like pulling out in traffic from a dead stop. Making a right turn onto a two lane road with traffic approaching. Kind of makes you suck the seat up s bit. Never found a solution, made sure I was not touching the brake pedal when it happened. I personally think it is extremely unsafe and I have heard many owners complain about it - but nothing from Ford as to a solution.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:51 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
The V-10 is certainly fuel injected, and it is coil over plugs, and the timing and fuel is controlled by the ECM. Not sure why you are having your problems, but I'd suggest getting a data scanner that can scan live data as you drive. Maybe you can see what is causing the issue.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:18 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Nobody mentioned this but I believe the accelerator does not actually open a butterfly valve. It's a drive by wire set up and no throttle cable. HarryStone, said the accelerator is controlled by the PC so that may be what he was referring to.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:25 AM   #6

It sounds much like a fuel dropout. IE, the fuel pump would momentarily lose power or something. Or maybe a throttle position sensor losing connection. Both have been known to happen. Unfortunately those are guesses and guesses can waste hundreds to thousands of dollars.
it's been mentioned already, the best thing to do is get someone with a data logging scanner to hook up and scan while you drive and get the coach to screw up. Though there are a few shops who still manage to get by without such a scanner (I know a couple) most will have one. A shop specializing in driveability issues or a transmission shop will certainly have one. Higher end places might have a "data logger" they can just plug in and send you out with. After you get it to screw you return so they can retrieve the data and study it in the shop. The point is to contrast what is actually happening with what the computer "sees". IE you floor it to go up a hill, the TPS flakes out and as far as the computer knows, you just took your foot completely off the gas pedal. Stuff like that.

If you had your location in your profile folks might be able to recommend some decent repair places for you.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:50 AM   #7

Have you scanned it for codes yet? Just because there is no check engine light doesn't mean there are no stored codes.
How steep of a hill? How much gas is in the tank?

Also, don't use cruise control in hilly areas. The cruise likes to spin the engine up to higher RPM's that you can better modulate yourself. I've only used my CC once or twice but didn't care for the way it wants to constantly keep the tranny downshifted. Ok, I'm getting off topic.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:56 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Nobody mentioned this but I believe the accelerator does not actually open a butterfly valve. It's a drive by wire set up and no throttle cable. HarryStone, said the accelerator is controlled by the PC so that may be what he was referring to.
Actually, I said the fuel and timing is controlled by the ECM, but the engine is certainly 'throttle by electronics' as well.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:46 AM   #9

Check the cannon plug for the accelerator pedal. Maybe it is loose.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:51 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Engines do move on motor mounts, strange things happens when an engine "torques"to one side on acceleration, check for rodent damage to ALL engine electrical harnesses, pull/wiggle/shake every electrical connection you can get to while the engine is running.
Also best bet is a good scan tool and have proper knowledge on how to read it. As a side not, I have run across a bad coil on ug or a cracked spark up causing stray "RF" in the engine compartment, tricks the abs speed signal and ecu thinks the engine/chassis is over governed speed.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, forum, need help