Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2021, 10:55 AM   #1

Entry door not sealing

It appears that my entry door, or frame, is slightly warped. When closed, it doesn't seat flat to the frame flange so the gasket doesn't seal all the way around. I can hear road noise coming in. If I push from the outside corner the gap will close. It has many mounting screws which leads me to believe they are not adjustable.

Has anyone encountered this? Is 'bending' the door a potential fix? The gasket is in excellent condition. From the outside I can see the upper left corner of the door (the opening side) protruding slightly from the frame.

Thanks,

Paul
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2021, 12:22 PM   #2

We had the same problem with a new 5er we just bought. Went back to the dealership and asked to have it fixed.
To make this short, 2 technicians came out to our 5er in the parking lot and said we should go for a walk while they fixed the door, but we stayed to watch.
First they removed the window, then placed a short 2x4 across the door opening. One held the bottom steady while the other man shoved on the top outside door corner.
The kept this up until they were satisfied the door fit properly again, then replaced the window. I was told this was a very common problem and would happen again.
Watching is not for faint of heart folks though.
Now our MH door needs the same "fix".
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:11 PM   #3

When I was at Red Bay a couple of years ago, the was a gasser next to to me with the same issue. As I recall, the fix was to bend the door. I think that they blocked part of it and applied force on the part that was sticking out.
Old 11-11-2021, 06:30 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Has it always had the issue? If so, then it sure sounds like a bent door. However, if it used to seal well, what caused it to change. The door normally won't go from straight to warped for no reason. It isn't an old wood door.
Old 11-12-2021, 08:42 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies! The fix is pretty much what I envisioned, wood blocking and brute force.

I'm fairly certain it has always been like that. When it was a few months I had to adjust the door latch and noticed it then but didn't think much of it. Recently I had someone else drive so I could track down a squeak and noticed a fair amount of road noise coming in the door.

Thanks,

Paul
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 11:07 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Same issue with main door, slightly sticks out at top left corner (opposite of hinge side). I believe it has to do with that mechanism that holds the door open when parked, with ours every time we close the door we are torquing it by pulling on the handle, I have greased the two piece bar at the top of the door but hasn’t really helped. I am open to suggestions.
medcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 05:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post
Has it always had the issue? If so, then it sure sounds like a bent door. However, if it used to seal well, what caused it to change. The door normally won't go from straight to warped for no reason. It isn't an old wood door.
I was told RV doors sometimes come torqued/bent; also, continued use causes the weak portion around the window to slowly bend outward from pressure on the gasket each time the door is closed.
The techs who did mine cautioned me to never attempt to straighten the door without removing the window first.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 05:15 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I was told RV doors sometimes come torqued/bent; also, continued use causes the weak portion around the window to slowly bend outward from pressure on the gasket each time the door is closed.
The techs who did mine cautioned me to never attempt to straighten the door without removing the window first.
I could see that in some trailer doors I've seen that are only about 1" thick and pretty light weight. Our door, and the doors I've seen on newer model Tiffin class As, are a good 2" thick and pretty heavy.

Tags
door, entry door, seal