Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2016, 12:15 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Entry Door Rattles

I can find a lot of information about entry doors that are hard to close, but I have a different problem. My door closes fine, but rattles on rough roads and when going over bumps. When the door is closed I can push it in about a half-inch, and when i stop pushing it goes back to its original position.

I'm not getting any substantial wind noise, and the door doesn't leak. Should I leave well enough alone, or try an adjustment? I have no experience with adjusting automotive-type doors.

I've found a lot of information about Winnie doors and the difficulty owners have with their dual latch design. My Phaeton has a single latch, and I assume that would make adjustment simpler. I'm just concerned about making it so much worse that it has to go to the shop.

Here's a picture of the plate on the coach. I don't see how i would adjust it, so instructions would be most appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door latch plate.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	118581  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2016, 12:37 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
if yours is like our Monaco that large 'bolt/pin' striker is supposed to move a bit on ours and had frozen in place - we ended up taking a heavy rag so we could push it around the arc without hurting our hands and lubing the heck out of it !

much better now, but still no perfect...
Old 02-08-2016, 12:41 PM   #3
YC1

It could be the arms inside the door are rattling and need to be tightened just a tad and then stuffing some insulation in various places will keep them from banging around.,

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:47 PM   #4

That looks like a Mov-A-Bolt latch. Search for PTL Mov-A-Bolt adjustment.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPro View Post
... My door closes fine, but rattles on rough roads and when going over bumps. When the door is closed I can push it in about a half-inch, and when i stop pushing it goes back to its original position.....
It looks similar to, but not exactly the same as my latch. The post should be adjustable. You can put a wrench on the "hex" end of the post, loosen it, move it in, and tighten again. One other consideration... it might be in too far already! If your latch is like mine it has two latch positions just like a car door. The first is a safety catch and the second tighter one should be the closed position. Very gently and slowly close your door. You should hear one click and then another. If you don't hear the second click, even when you push the door in as tight as you can, you might have to move that post outwards a bit.

2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
gorwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:41 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I would start by checking the tightness of the screws on the inside cover. You have two screws on the dead bolt that could be loose allowing the deadbolt and the plate underneath to move and make noise. The pull handle plate could be loose and finally, the whole inside cover could be loose. Easy to check.

The locking mechanism is relatively complex with lots of rods going to the locking mechanism. Take the cover off (you will have to remove the screws mentioned above) to look inside. Look for anything that may have fallen off, clips that are not attached on the end of the rod, etc.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:56 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi ProjectPro,
This may sound dumb, but if you will get some black electricians tape and wrap about two layers around the striker bolt this will probably solve your problem. Now you will probably need to redo the tape on down the road but it should last for a while before you need to. It worked for me on my previous coach (2006 Winnebago Journey). Just try it. What can it hurt?

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door