Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2016, 06:59 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
External inline surge protectors

Anyone have any experience with external inline surge protectors? Needed? Not needed? If needed, best for a Tiffin Allegro???? Thanks
Lynnda Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2016, 10:39 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnda Butler View Post
Anyone have any experience with external inline surge protectors? Needed? Not needed? If needed, best for a Tiffin Allegro???? Thanks
I don't use the portable surge protector if that's what you are asking about, but I did install an in-line Progressive Industries HW50C with the remote digital readout. That was one of the first things I did to our new Tiffin. It offers another level of protection against over/under voltage and gives you a readout of line voltage, amperage draw on each leg and any errors. It has already saved me at two different RV parks against under voltage. The PI unit has a lifetime warranty and I wouldn't leave home without one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PI-HW50C.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	125079  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:31 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Essential

Whether you go with a unit that plugs into the utility post or have one installed on the coach, a surge protector is essential. Progressive Industries makes units for either application that will not only protect you from electrical surges, dirty power, as well as low voltage incidents. Like the previous poster, I wouldn't hook up to campground electricity without one.
Latrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:41 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnda Butler View Post

For you and any others that may be reading this thread, do NOT waste your money on purchasing a Surge Protector. Power surges are the least likely event that you will experience while hooked to shore power anywhere around the country.

You money is better spent on a Electrical Management System (EMS) which also includes 3580 Joules of Surge Protection but more importantly monitors the incoming power to your RV.

The only ones I recommend are the units sold by Progressive Industries which sells a portable unit and a couple of hardwired units. They come in both 30 amp and 50 amp units.

Trust me you won't be disappointed with this unit and it has a lifetime warranty.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:50 AM   #5
dms

Just my experience..... Was into boating before moving into motorhomes and had a 48 footer (Californian MY). Lightning hit a light pole next to me while moored at the dock and fried my neutral. Took out all the electronics, TV"S, microwave, DVR, Coffee pot, Marine radios, Radar, etc, etc. A $10K hit.

Even though I have a load management system, I always use an inline surge protector just in case. Hopefully to avoid another disaster.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:03 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
For you and any others that may be reading this thread, do NOT waste your money on purchasing a Surge Protector. Power surges are the least likely event that you will experience while hooked to shore power anywhere around the country.

You money is better spent on a Electrical Management System (EMS) which also includes 3580 Joules of Surge Protection but more importantly monitors the incoming power to your RV.

The only ones I recommend are the units sold by Progressive Industries which sells a portable unit and a couple of hardwired units. They come in both 30 amp and 50 amp units.

Trust me you won't be disappointed with this unit and it has a lifetime warranty.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I have an EMS Progressive system on our Anthem and it is great. In Texas last spring a storm came up and lightning took out the majority of the RV park and any rigs without the surge protector. We were lucky .... fried our Progressive unit, but it was replaced - no questions asked by Progressive. And absolutely NO damage to our RV. So, now I carry two ...one to use and one for an emergency in case the main one gets hit again. Getting all your electronics and wiring fried from a close lightning strike is going to cost you a hell of a lot more than one Progressive EMS Surge Protector.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:49 AM   #7

I have portable unit by Surge Guard. It works great, but it is my second one as the first one died. I was happy that Surge Guard replaced the unit for free as I was a few weeks out of warranty, and that's the point I want to make is the Progressive unit has a lifetime warranty and would be my recommendation.

Also, the pre-checks the units make before powering your rig are great, but the delayed return of power during brown outs is a real plus for the compressor on your AC. I have yet to find a bad hookup, but I've had some brown out issues in some very nice parks during summer when everyone has their AC running and the park was at capacity.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:57 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Having one of them is essential. I had a built-in Progressive HW50C on my last RV, that went with it when sold. Now I have a portable. There are pros and cons for both. Now I plug it in to a pedestal before I spool out the cord or level up, in case there is a problem. So far, I can't find any disadvantages other than it walking away, and I have a cable lock on it for that.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:48 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Before you purchase one, read the info on each one, some portable units do not provide all the coverage you need and that includes Progressive units.
garykk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:03 PM   #10

I have a portable Surgeguard 50 amp but l would probably buy a Progressive if I have to replace it because of the warranty. I had a problem with mine once in that it would flutter on and off with an audible clicking noise repeatedly. I contacted Progressive about repair and they would not repair it since it was out of warranty. I even offered to pay but they would not repair it. I disassembled it and cleaned corrosion off the contactors and its work great ever since.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:14 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
My Tiffin 32SA has a surge protector built in from the Mfg. Not sure what year the OP's Tiffin is, or whether it has a built in protector from the factory. If another in-line (portable post type) is used, would there be conflict/issues with the existing one already on the coach (if there is one)?
Old 04-24-2016, 07:26 PM   #12

Great question "Don and Dale". I have a 2016 31SA with the same OEM protection. Wonder if adding a Progressive unit like I had on our other rig is a good investment and not overkill.
Rpwainc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:30 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
I have a portable Surgeguard 50 amp but l would probably buy a Progressive if I have to replace it because of the warranty. I had a problem with mine once in that it would flutter on and off with an audible clicking noise repeatedly. I contacted Progressive about repair and they would not repair it since it was out of warranty. I even offered to pay but they would not repair it. I disassembled it and cleaned corrosion off the contactors and its work great ever since.
You contacted Progressive or Sureguard?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:03 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Some newer RVs are now coming with surge protectors but that is all they protect against. You can do damage by having voltage too low also. Plus they will not tell you if the pedestal has a problem.
As Dr4Film suggested get and EMS and the best one hands down come from progressive. Yes they can be combined with onboard surge protectors.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote