Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2010, 06:46 AM   #1

External Satelite Dish set up

Help!! I recently purchased a 2005 Phaeton 38 and cant figure out the TV antenna inputs. I’m good on Standard antenna, internal satellite, & Cable; however I can’t get the external satellite dish to work. I traced the wires from the external cable in coax jack located in the electrical compartment to a splitter that goes to (1) the “cable in” jack on the switch box and (2) the cable that is factory marked external Tri Pod cable. When connecting the Tri Pod cable connection to my Direct TV box antenna in and the external dish to the external coax connection I get nothing. In previous coached I have always had a discrete wire for the external satellite not using a splitter as in my Phaeton. Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jef
KTMONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
edj

The satellite antenna coax into the RV does not go to the cable input. The problem with that input is that it goes to a splitter and roof antenna amplifier board. The satellite receiver puts voltage out to the antenna dish and the voltage can not get through the splitter/amplifier. If you do not already have a coax input labeled for the satellite on the outside of the RV, you can either put one in or run the coax from the receiver to antenna through a window. To test that this is the problem, run the coax through the door directly from antenna to receiver input.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with EDJ the cable you traced is the park cable input, NOT the external sat-antenna in, Usually there is no such (though many re-route the park cable)

Do this.

For each LNB input you have (If you have a single receiver you have one, two receivers or a DVR you have 2) get a cheap Antenna switch, if you pay more than 10 bucks you are paying to much rca vh71 Switch is an example of this kind of switch (Not I found that with a Google search, No recommendation for the vendor, just the switch)

You will also need a short RG-6 jumper and a longer length of RG-6 (Can not say how long just yet)

Unhook the coax from the LNB-in on the receiver(s) and hook it to the "A" (As in Above) port on the switch, Hook the single "common" port via short jumper back to the Receiver LNB in.

ON the "B" port hook a brand new RG-6 cable you run to either a basement or bulkhead connecter down B-elow.

That's your ground mount sat antenna input.

To use.. Hook up antenna, switch switch(es) to B If direcTV reset receiver and point, If Dish point and check switch

To switch back to roof, Switch to "A" before you unhook, soon as you are in the clear reset a Direc or run check switch on a DISH.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #4

External Sat Dish

Thanks for the replies. FYI, the external cable input was wired as described; I solved the issue by removing the standard type splitter and installing a splitter that has a power bypass. This may be called a diplexer just something I happen to have in my toolbox. Now from my single external Cable input I can use cable or my external tri pod type dish. The splitter type devise (with power bypass) allows for the voltage to go from the satellite receiver box to the dish.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 09-02-2010, 12:50 PM   #5

I have a 2006 Phaeton built in 2005. I actually bought it in August 2005. I would think it's wire the same as yours. I have two external coax connections in the power bay, one marked cable and the other tripod. I connected my external dish to the tripod connector and it worked just fine with no modifications.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #6
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
I have a 2006 Phaeton built in 2005. I actually bought it in August 2005. I would think it's wire the same as yours. I have two external coax connections in the power bay, one marked cable and the other tripod. I connected my external dish to the tripod connector and it worked just fine with no modifications.
Interesting that the coax connector is labeled "tripod". All I have ever seen are labeled 'cable' and the second, 'satellite'. Was this second coax input put in by the manufacturer or somebody else later on?
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by edj View Post
Interesting that the coax connector is labeled "tripod". All I have ever seen are labeled 'cable' and the second, 'satellite'. Was this second coax input put in by the manufacturer or somebody else later on?
Manufacturer.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #8
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
I think Tiffin figured out they had a problem and either eliminated the splitter or switched to one with a power pass-through. I seem to remember a writeup in the Tiffin magazine Roughing it Smoothly in the tech tips section in the back. Either that, or someone over on Tiffin RV Network mentioned Tiffin corrected the problem with the splitter.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #9

External Sat Dish

To all,
No doubt that this was a factory installation and that the use of a standard splitter is in error. The typical installation is as Joe T mentioned, separate inputs for external cable and satellite. I have an early 2005 possibly this was corrected in later units. Bottom line is problem solved, thanks for everyone’s input, off to the next challenge.
Thanks again,
Jeff (ktmone)
Old 09-09-2010, 08:17 AM   #10

Great advices guys. It's good to hear that the problem was solved.

Thank you for all info.

Btw, I'm new at satellite topic and just learning about this stuff. RV topic is new for me as well, when I googled "2005 Phaeton"

(2005 Volkswagen Phaeton)

But after that I think one more time, and figured out what you're talking about the RV.

SatelliteMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's the newer "Read-your-mind" Google Ap for 'ya. Don't you lovittt?
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:08 PM   #12

Google is an awesome source for researching. Love it!
SatelliteMan is offline   Reply With Quote