Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2018, 03:36 PM   #1

Failed DPF regen...chk engine!

Hello, while driving, our DPF regen indicator light came on (amber) as does occasionally, only this time it remained on for 3 hrs. When it finally turned off, the check engine light came on. We stopped and turned off the engine while we refueled. When the engine turned back on, the check engine light AND the red STOP indicators are on. We’re now de-rated to 5mph. I’m wondering if there’s a way to re-try the DPF regen. I’ve heard of doing a stationary regen, but no idea if that’s applicable in my situation. Does anyone have any helpful ideas? TIA. Frank

We’re a 2017 Allegro Bus 40AP, Cummins ISL9
FmariniRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2018, 08:45 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Call Freightliner. There is a way to trigger a stationary regen and they should be able to tell you how to do it. You might also want to read through your Cummins manual as it might have a stationary regen procedure for you.

Hopefully you are not idling this engine for more than a couple of minutes before going to high idle or driving off. Almost all DPF problems are caused by excessive idling - something diesel engines built since 2010 are not supposed to do. Using high idle helps but you still shouldn't idle these engines very long.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:57 PM   #3

Freightliner won't help with a power glide chassis. Call Tiffin to ask.
gandl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:06 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You can always call Cummins - they made the engine.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:31 AM   #5

best bet is getting Cummins to hook engine up to computer and find out what's wrong. at rally in lewisburg, wv last year I watched a mechanic hook up his computer to a Phaghton and he found an electrical part under the accelerator pedal that was bad, unfortunately no one had part anywhere in usa. so they wired it up to get them home. Dave
Old 10-10-2018, 07:32 AM   #6

Thank you for the replies to our dilemma. All valid and helpful input. We ended up restarting the engine after a few hours and the stop light was off...only the check engine light was on. We took the chance and drove the 3 hours to Tucson...with the amber check engine light on and beeping every 1 to 3 minutes. Fortunately, no derate or red lights! Our first stop was the Cummins service center. I await their assessment, which I’ll post here for others. Thanks again. Frank
Old 11-09-2018, 04:25 AM   #7

Ratpack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:28 AM   #8

I had a similar problem with my Breeze. Light came on - stayed on about 30 minutes and went off - happened twice. Purchased this product by Lucas - about $17.00 on Amazon - it has seemed to help as the light has not come back on.
Ratpack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:30 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FmariniRV View Post
Thank you for the replies to our dilemma. All valid and helpful input. We ended up restarting the engine after a few hours and the stop light was off...only the check engine light was on. We took the chance and drove the 3 hours to Tucson...with the amber check engine light on and beeping every 1 to 3 minutes. Fortunately, no derate or red lights! Our first stop was the Cummins service center. I await their assessment, which I’ll post here for others. Thanks again. Frank
FmariniRV - what did Cummins find?

D.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:12 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I had a similar issue last summer. Warning light and incessant bell. I had 250 miles to go to COS. Talked to Cummins who said to try to make it. We did. Engine derated just as we pulled into campground. Eventually had it towed to Transwest truck repair in Fountain. Turned out to be the SCR, a device similar to a catalytic converter in a gas engine. since the engine was on warranty the new one didn't cost me anything but the use of the RV for ten days. Transwest was really great, but busy as a one armed paper hanger. If you breakdown near Colo Springs they can get you on the road.
dieseldug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:51 PM   #11

The ultimate cause was "the after-treatement ground connector end was not crimped which caused after-treatment faults." As they were going through their diagnostics...pump pressure test...the pump wouldn't turn on. They found a wire that wasn't crimped and therefore was intermittently making contact as the coach bounced around. Replaced the wire (with one that was crimped) and all checked out. A pretty major hassle, which could have turned into a really expensive hassle (towing) due to a single uncrimped wire. Awesome. Have since taken it on a couple more trips and no dash indicator lights in sight. Even more awesome. Cummins in Tucson did a great job. Quick, precise, friendly. Frank

Tags
engine, led