Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2020, 05:05 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Flashing "Low Voltage" warning

2019 Phaeton 40IH
Getting ready to head home from weekend RV trip when I started the engine and a dash indicator began flashing "low voltage" ( in large, greenish blue letters) There was also a small indicator glowing red that said "check system".

While trying to find some information in the large binder book, I decided to turn the engine off and let it set...found Nothing in the big manual binder saying anything about dash warning indicator lights, or trouble shooting.....

After 5 minutes I restarted the engine and wa-la, the flashing low voltage warning had disappeared....

Any ideas what might have caused this warning, and/or why turning off the engine for several minutes the warning went away????
lyonstom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2020, 06:30 AM   #2

How long did you let it run with the warning ?

The low voltage warning may have been the intake air heaters. They draw over 100 amps and after starting the engine they can run for a while. Once they go off or you raise the idle, the charging system can handle the load. At idle, the alternator can't.

Likely a normal thing in cooler weather.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:31 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
normal , the heating grid in the air box draws alot of power, after the engine starts and the alternator starts charging it will go out.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alv3769 View Post
normal , the heating grid in the air box draws alot of power, after the engine starts and the alternator starts charging it will go out.

VERY likely the correct answer.

Once oil pressure has built, use the cruise to raise idle speed to around 1,100. Alternator will be putting out more amps and intake manifold heater grid will be requires for less time.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:42 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alv3769 View Post
Agree...
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:11 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks everyone for your quick replies regarding my "low voltage" indicator. I've combed every page and every book provided by Tiffin when we purchased the new Phaeton 40IH last September, but there's nothing regarding the engine/chassis functions or trouble shooting. Tiffin provided books on the Allison transmission, but that's it. If something goes haywire with the engine, there's nothing to refer to.....
Your responses are very much appreciated and right on point. This is a great owners forum for those of us just entering the diesel pusher phase of our lifetime RV'ing experiences.
lyonstom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:23 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I have the same problem. Had it checked at dealer and Tiffin. They said it was not an issue. If you check at batteries, they will check out good.

My model did not come with a supplemental battery buddy charger. I had one added installed. Still get the low charge warning during starts after the RV has been sitting a while, but goes away in ~10 seconds. No alarm if I re-start RV after running it before.
BeachedTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:36 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Its normal and expected behavior to sometimes get a low chassis battery warning upon starting the propulsion engine. There is a intake air heater that kicks in when starting the engine (takes the place of glow plugs). It pulls a lot of current and sags the chassis batteries. Soonest the engine starts the engine alternator charging recovers the batteries. As the batteries age you may see it more often.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:57 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
My 2017 40IH has done that since new. It's perfectly normal.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:51 AM   #10

I spoke to the Tiffin chassis folks last week when I too saw this, and they confirmed the same. Normal. Heaters in the engine intake draw a heavy load which may show up as low voltage while they are on. The warning should disappear when the engine warms a bit and the heaters shut off.
JDSwett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonstom View Post
Thanks everyone for your quick replies regarding my "low voltage" indicator. I've combed every page and every book provided by Tiffin when we purchased the new Phaeton 40IH last September, but there's nothing regarding the engine/chassis functions or trouble shooting. Tiffin provided books on the Allison transmission, but that's it. If something goes haywire with the engine, there's nothing to refer to.....
Your responses are very much appreciated and right on point. This is a great owners forum for those of us just entering the diesel pusher phase of our lifetime RV'ing experiences.
You can download the chassis manual from Tiffin's website. It mentions the air heater but no details are provided. You received far better answers from others here.

Sam
Old 01-29-2021, 10:35 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSwett View Post
I spoke to the Tiffin chassis folks last week when I too saw this, and they confirmed the same. Normal. Heaters in the engine intake draw a heavy load which may show up as low voltage while they are on. The warning should disappear when the engine warms a bit and the heaters shut off.

I had an Aqua Hot factory rep tell me anytime the temp is below 50F to run the Aqua Hot engine pre-heater for at least 30 minutes. When I did this the engine pre-heaters did not come on therefore NO low voltage lights! Seems to work well. Aqua Hot does a great job with the engine pre-heater.
jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:01 AM   #13

This only happens often in cool to cold weather. When it's warm, the preheaters aren't needed and don't run. Like many others, I was surprised and concerned the first time. When I use the engine preheat function on the AquaHot, it happens less often. I let the engine idle for a minute or two before turning on the fast idle with the cruise control, but that's probably just me being fussy vs. simply waiting for oil pressure and doing it sooner.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote