Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2020, 08:36 AM   #1

Flat Towing Gladiator with Allegro 32SA

I know there are threads with discussions on flat towing Jeeps, but I am trying to get clarification on towing capabilities with a Tiffin gas-powered motorhome.

We are in the process of getting rid of a diesel pusher and considering a 2021 Tiffin Allegro 32SA. I have a Jeep Gladiator that is set up for flat towing (using the Ready Brute for surge braking). I took it to a nearby CAT scale the other day with a full tank of fuel and it weighs 5,140 pounds. I estimated around 126 pounds is due to the gas, so I could reduce the weight by running a lower fuel load.

The Tiffin I'm considering is the beefier 24,000 GVWR with the 7.3L gas motor. Specs indicate the 5,000 lb hitch rating and 6,000 lbs Maximum Trailer Weight. So, assuming I am watching the overall weight of the rig, I am optimistic that this higher capacity for the chassis can handle flat towing duties with the Gladiator. Anyone running similar combination of the "optional" Tiffin chassis and towing this amount?
WhippetTaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2020, 08:51 AM   #2

We have 3 Gladiators and A 2018 Wrangler JLU.

There is a reason they use the word MAX....

...Any second now 20 people that are internet experts will be along to say things like "you'll be fine" and " they always rate it lower than it can actually do."

You just have to choose who to believe... the internet people that will disappear if you have a problem or the manufacturer who had to test that hitch to place that rating on it.

My 2019 gas 24k chassis is rated at 8000lbs. One of the many reasons I decided to buy it.

Good Luck!
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ RV'r View Post
We have 3 Gladiators and A 2018 Wrangler JLU.

There is a reason they use the word MAX....

...Any second now 20 people that are internet experts will be along to say things like "you'll be fine" and " they always rate it lower than it can actually do."

You just have to choose who to believe... the internet people that will disappear if you have a problem or the manufacturer who had to test that hitch to place that rating on it.

My 2019 gas 24k chassis is rated at 8000lbs. One of the many reasons I decided to buy it.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the reply. The Tiffin dealer, of course, is reluctant to give any definitive guidance on what the thing can safely tow. And I do recognize that just because you see various vehicles being pulled by all sorts of RVs (like Sprinter chassis Class C rigs) doesn't make it a good idea, or a safe one. I will probably stop by one of the local trailer hitch companies to get their assessment on this combination.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:18 AM   #4

Did that 5140 include you driving in it? If not I’m always personally leery of maxing out any rating of any device I choose so I personally wouldn’t be comfortable doing it. I like a margin of comfort and call me conservative.

Having said all that, do you drive on flat lat with not a lot of stress stops (traffic jams or odd angle turns etc). Lastly assuming you don’t exceed the chassis GCVWR and possibly upgrade this hitch then maybe. Call Tiffin to find out why they put “only” 5K hitch. Is it marketing (everyone else does this too) or is a frame limit or???
Driveby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:42 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippetTaxi View Post
I know there are threads with discussions on flat towing Jeeps, but I am trying to get clarification on towing capabilities with a Tiffin gas-powered motorhome.

We are in the process of getting rid of a diesel pusher and considering a 2021 Tiffin Allegro 32SA. I have a Jeep Gladiator that is set up for flat towing (using the Ready Brute for surge braking). I took it to a nearby CAT scale the other day with a full tank of fuel and it weighs 5,140 pounds. I estimated around 126 pounds is due to the gas, so I could reduce the weight by running a lower fuel load.

The Tiffin I'm considering is the beefier 24,000 GVWR with the 7.3L gas motor. Specs indicate the 5,000 lb hitch rating and 6,000 lbs Maximum Trailer Weight. So, assuming I am watching the overall weight of the rig, I am optimistic that this higher capacity for the chassis can handle flat towing duties with the Gladiator. Anyone running similar combination of the "optional" Tiffin chassis and towing this amount?
Isn’t it kind of odd that the hitch rating is 5000 lbs but max trailer is 6000 lbs. is that 5000 lbs tongue weight?
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveby View Post
Did that 5140 include you driving in it? If not I’m always personally leery of maxing out any rating of any device I choose so I personally wouldn’t be comfortable doing it. I like a margin of comfort and call me conservative.

Having said all that, do you drive on flat lat with not a lot of stress stops (traffic jams or odd angle turns etc). Lastly assuming you don’t exceed the chassis GCVWR and possibly upgrade this hitch then maybe. Call Tiffin to find out why they put “only” 5K hitch. Is it marketing (everyone else does this too) or is a frame limit or???
The 5140 weight is without driver (or dog). Trying to find a proper setup for all types of driving conditions and preparing for any contingencies, such as weather or elevation changes, etc. Tiffin indicated that you can go to a heavier hitch, but any warranty issues raised related to the hitch would be void. I need to talk to the dealer again to see if they can determine if it's a Class IV or V hitch or something else.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
Isn’t it kind of odd that the hitch rating is 5000 lbs but max trailer is 6000 lbs. is that 5000 lbs tongue weight?
That would be some type of super hitch hardware if it handled a tongue weight of 5000 lbs!
Old 10-23-2020, 10:05 AM   #8

My understanding is that the hitch rating (5,000 lbs in this case) is determined by the actual receiver hitch that is bolted to the rear frame of the vehicle.

Then the maximum trailer weight is affected by the GVWR. The "standard" 22K chassis has a maximum trailer weight of only 4,000 lbs, but this optional 24K chassis allows for the greater 6,000 lbs.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:13 PM   #9

I'm always baffled by the ratings various manufacturers have on the same chassis and what they spec tow vehicle weights at. Like others, I have seen printers towing vehicles that were clearly above the weight specs, but hey, their issue, not mine. All I can tell you is that I have a 2019 32SA and tow a 2 door Jeep JKS the Ready Brute setup. I am under 5000 pounds, and it works fine.I never have really understood how a 24K chassis can have all these variable weight restrictions unless you start getting into really exotic class 5 hitches, etc.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:51 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippetTaxi View Post
My understanding is that the hitch rating (5,000 lbs in this case) is determined by the actual receiver hitch that is bolted to the rear frame of the vehicle.

Then the maximum trailer weight is affected by the GVWR. The "standard" 22K chassis has a maximum trailer weight of only 4,000 lbs, but this optional 24K chassis allows for the greater 6,000 lbs.
So if I read your explanation right, the 6000 lb rating is mute, seeing as the hitch is only rated for 5000 lbs.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:20 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
So if I read your explanation right, the 6000 lb rating is mute, seeing as the hitch is only rated for 5000 lbs.
Correct. If you go to the 2021 Allegro Open Road Spec Page (https://tiffinmotorhomes.com/class-a...-allegro/specs) and look at the Max Trailer Ratings for the 32SA with the 22K and 24K chassis, and also as example the 34PA with the 26K chassis, you will see that they are nothing more than the subtraction of the GVWR from each GCWR for each, and without any other restrictions, you could use them as stated. The problem though on the 24K 32SA chassis is the 5K hitch rating, so that's all you can use to determine the max weight of your toad (or trailer for that matter). Now if you could get a hitch installation certified for a higher weight, you could potentially use the full 6000lb. capacity of the chassis. But that would be up to the owner. In stock form, though, you're limited to the hitch rating of 5000 lbs.
Mike8253 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:02 PM   #12

What about the weight of the towing system? Did you weigh the Gladiator with it?
doubleplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:38 PM   #13

Tiffin website shows the max trailer weight for 26000# chassis being 4000 ???
doubleplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleplay View Post
What about the weight of the towing system? Did you weigh the Gladiator with it?
The tow plates are installed on the front of the Gladiator and are part of the weight, accounting for about 40 lbs.

Tags
allegro, tow, towing