Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2022, 04:54 PM   #15

De Lamination

I had same problem with my Tiffin RED QFA at 3 year mark. Bob Tiffin (who was the customer service guy at the time) sent me all new material if I paid for labor. $2500 at Lazy Days. But Wade, the upholsterer, told me the material and was inferior and I should buy better stuff. He said what I was sent was what all the manufacturers were using and it was an attempt to bond leather pieces together and I'd be lucky to get 3 years out of it. 3 years later it started de laminating. Last year, after using covers for a while I took it to Classic Coachworks in Ormond Beach where I got an education on material. It turns out the material is graded as a rub test. That is, how many thousands of times the material will withstand a rubbing before it starts to degrade. We got some rated for 300,000 rubs and had the whole thing done. Cost was about $10500 including dying the dash back to its original color. Could not be happier. BTW, my coach was always stored inside a building, now in my RV garage, but even that did not stop the de lamination of the original material. Good Luck.
bobcratchett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2022, 06:08 PM   #16

Big problem with Newmars also. I'm having my driver and passenger seats recovered at Bauer for a total cost of about $2500 for both.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:50 PM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have had the same problem with our lightly used 2012 Coachman Concord 300TS. Good local shop said about $3000 plus for real leather. I found Chun YI stretch covers for love seats, couches etc on Amazon. They come in 30 different colors, cheap, and feel nice and three sizes that really stretch. They fit our jack knife couch seat and back and dinette seats and back. And came in two or three days, and less than $120 total. I bought the driver and passenger seat covers from a auto parts store. At least short term if fixed the problem.
Lez8ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:23 PM   #18

Contact tiffin- it’s worth a shot.

The previous owner of my 2012 Open Road contacted Tiffin in 2020 with the same issue They asked to speak to Bob Tiffin directly, and he agreed to replace the upholstery on captains chairs, sofa, and dinette at no cost to them. I know times have changed, but it may be worth a shot. They were not the original owners, and Tiffin stood behind it on an 8 year old coach. I had the same problem with my 2012 Jayco Greyhawk, and had a local upholstery shop do the work with vinyl I provided. $160 in materials, $400 in labor for the captains chairs.
Jogorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:02 PM   #19

Call Tiffin

There are a few different threads in this forum relating to this exact issue. Call Tiffin and request replacement. There are many examples of Tiffin doing this for owners like you and I. I have a 2012 Breeze and I am not the original owner. My upholstery was in pretty bad shape and Tiffin took care of me. They shipped me upholstery skins (at their cost) and I paid someone local to install.
Very happy with Tiffin's customer service. The person you need to contact is karen.timbs@tiffinmotorhomes.com. She is the Customer Relations Manager and is the approver for upholstery replacements. Good luck!
Jeromba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 06:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jogorman View Post
The previous owner of my 2012 Open Road contacted Tiffin in 2020 with the same issue They asked to speak to Bob Tiffin directly, and he agreed to replace the upholstery on captains chairs, sofa, and dinette at no cost to them. I know times have changed, but it may be worth a shot. They were not the original owners, and Tiffin stood behind it on an 8 year old coach. I had the same problem with my 2012 Jayco Greyhawk, and had a local upholstery shop do the work with vinyl I provided. $160 in materials, $400 in labor for the captains chairs.
I have a Jayco MH which I recently purchased from the original owner. They invested several thousand $$$ in recovering the driver, pass., seats and the dinette. Jayco will quickly tell you to go pound sand if you're out of warranty (we still have the jacknife sofa to contend with) and you better not bring it up on the company owned site which laughingly charades as an unaffiliated with the brand, forum. From what I did gather on that other site, before they quashed the discussion was there were several providers using the substandard coverings but it was the RV manufacturers who ultimately decide, based on cost, to use the defective materials even though better choices exist. Problem with Jayco and the similar entry level brands is they continue to use the coverings, they know most of the delamination issues don't begin occurring until after the warranty has expired and that's good enough for them.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 06:53 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check with Tiffin for possible Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistertime View Post
I have a 2013 Open Road and the captain Attachment 377469seats, sofa and recliner material are all delaminating to various degrees. This is a motorhome with 30,000 miles and although 10 years old it has not been used a lot. I have read some discussions on this topic and have realized this is the same issue with many motorhomes.
I was hoping that people would chime in and give me ideas on how I can repair this without breaking the bank!
Thanks for your help
Cheers from Canada
I had the same issue with our captain's chairs in our 2015 32SA. Someone gave the name of Karen Timbs at Tiffin to contact. I sent her an email last fall with pictures. She responded for me to call the Parts department and have them send me replacement covers at no cost to me. I don't know if they would do the same for a 2013 coach but give it a try, it can't hurt. Ms. Timbs email address is karen.timbs@tiffinmotorhomes.com.
Frank_AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 09:17 AM   #22

We own a 2007 open road 32BA and no problems. I am shocked.
bionicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 10:03 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicman View Post
We own a 2007 open road 32BA and no problems. I am shocked.
From what I've gathered the problems started becoming widespread in ~2010's and later, showing up a few years after purchase. It wasn't only Flexsteel. Jayco was using Lexington with the same issues. The RV manufacturers have been aware of the problems for ten years, but some are okay with it as long as it shows up after the warranty period.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furniture