Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2022, 05:46 PM   #1

Flexsteel furniture delaminating!!!!!

I have a 2013 Open Road and the captain Click image for larger version

Name:	84251BC8-C576-4E31-B33D-977E4F13B14D.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	466.6 KB
ID:	377469seats, sofa and recliner material are all delaminating to various degrees. This is a motorhome with 30,000 miles and although 10 years old it has not been used a lot. I have read some discussions on this topic and have realized this is the same issue with many motorhomes.
I was hoping that people would chime in and give me ideas on how I can repair this without breaking the bank!
Thanks for your help
Cheers from Canada
Twistertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2022, 11:09 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
On our 2013 34 ft Red I removed the front seats and took them to a auto trim shop to have the seats recovered, kind of expensive. Also ahd another trim shop make vinal covers for the arms of the couch, and made new cushion covers, the rest of the couch was fine. then sold that rig and bought a Bus. Probably should have cut the for sale price some and saved money, but the seats just look too bad. We had over 3 grand in the repairs. So your going to end up spending some money too if you want that stuff to look good again.
weighit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 05:38 AM   #3

Reupholster or replace with new. I don't know of any inexpensive solutions that will work for long. They make slip covers for captain's chairs, but they look pretty crappy in my opinion.

Our rig is 10 years old and has suffered from the same fake leather problems. About a year ago, we started by having the captain's chairs reupholstered at a local shop. A few months ago, we had the dinette cushions recovered in the same vinyl as the captain's chairs. And, in October, our new couch should be ready for installation. It wasn't cheap, but in our opinion, the interior of our Bay Star will be more attractive then the original fake brown leather. And, if we change rigs in the future, it will have an updated interior and may sell a bit easier.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:23 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If the cushions are new, all you really need is to have the surfaces replaced. There are a lot of shops that do this work around Elkhart. We had one done at a place in Decatur last year and you can't tell the difference between it and the other seats around it. If you want something fast and cheap, you can buy some slip covers. You might also check with the RV salvage yards to see if they have something would work. You can probably get some nice leather seats to replace what you have that might not be too much money.
Old 09-28-2022, 07:43 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the dinette recovered at a locally upholstery shop. Tiffin can get new, ready to fit covers for your captain chairs. They are cut ready to fit to put on after removing the old covers. We recovered them ourselves. Took the chairs out of the RV and did it at home. You will need to get hog rings and hog ring pliers. It does take a good amount of effort to stretch the new cover on.

Sent from my SM-T720 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Attachment 377487
keef033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 11:12 AM   #6

Our 2015 32SA is starting to have the same problem. We bought the RV around a year ago and there were no signs of cracking. I hoped we got a good one. In the last 3 months the captains chairs and sofa are getting bad, quickly.
PD Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 11:27 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OP,
There is a lady in Dubuque, Iowa that has taken over from Flexsteel and she has all the patterns for their seats. Uses better material too and is very reasonable on pricing.
Putting her covers on yourself is no big deal. Youtube is your friend.
I did.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2014 Chrysler T&C, on a Master Tow Dolly.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:48 AM   #8

I see the name “Flexsteel” come up all the time as the main complaint but this exact problem has existed for years (before 2008) and is not only in the Motorhome industry. Nearly every auto manufacturer has dealt with this on every model they produce once the demand for leather interiors shot through the roof. We had a brand new 2008 Yukon XL that started shedding the bonded layer within 18 months and they tried to blame it on us wearing jeans too often! LoL

The ridiculously expensive LazyBoy recliner I’m sitting in now as the exact same problem and is only 4 years old and the areas that are delaminating are areas that aren’t sat on or touched, but bend every time that it’s sat on each day. The only leather seats that didn’t do this were in my 2006 Ford F-250 King Ranch because they were full-grain leather back then, but also had a crazy amount of cleaning & conditioning required to keep them from looking totally gross!

There’s a few videos on YouTube that address the owners replacing the material but for the price charged it’s better to go to RedBay, Elkhart or other location where there are Motorhome suppliers & shops to buy the whole seat. One of the videos swapped out nearly all the furniture in the 4yr old coach and the front seats were about $1800 each but were brand new, much nicer looking and more comfortable. You can have the seats recovered with real leather center sections and pleather sides but your still going to have a lot more work to deal with the real leather areas.

In our Phaeton, we only have one spot in the center bottom seat on the passenger seat that has a 2” ugly spot and our seats are decently comfortable but are a bit too “Poofy” and I feel like a 3yr old sitting in one of those “Big-Man” recliners at a furniture store.

What’s the name of the “Lady in Iowa” that handles the FlexSteel now?
Old 09-29-2022, 10:44 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief6722 View Post
I see the name “Flexsteel” come up all the time as the main complaint but this exact problem has existed for years (before 2008) and is not only in the Motorhome industry. Nearly every auto manufacturer has dealt with this on every model they produce once the demand for leather interiors shot through the roof. We had a brand new 2008 Yukon XL that started shedding the bonded layer within 18 months and they tried to blame it on us wearing jeans too often! LoL

The ridiculously expensive LazyBoy recliner I’m sitting in now as the exact same problem and is only 4 years old and the areas that are delaminating are areas that aren’t sat on or touched, but bend every time that it’s sat on each day. The only leather seats that didn’t do this were in my 2006 Ford F-250 King Ranch because they were full-grain leather back then, but also had a crazy amount of cleaning & conditioning required to keep them from looking totally gross!

There’s a few videos on YouTube that address the owners replacing the material but for the price charged it’s better to go to RedBay, Elkhart or other location where there are Motorhome suppliers & shops to buy the whole seat. One of the videos swapped out nearly all the furniture in the 4yr old coach and the front seats were about $1800 each but were brand new, much nicer looking and more comfortable. You can have the seats recovered with real leather center sections and pleather sides but your still going to have a lot more work to deal with the real leather areas.

In our Phaeton, we only have one spot in the center bottom seat on the passenger seat that has a 2” ugly spot and our seats are decently comfortable but are a bit too “Poofy” and I feel like a 3yr old sitting in one of those “Big-Man” recliners at a furniture store.

What’s the name of the “Lady in Iowa” that handles the FlexSteel now?
https://bauerrvupholstery.com/

Sent from my SM-G973U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 09-29-2022, 11:01 AM   #10
PKI

Have not experienced the problem, but have had the issue of cushions not being firm enough to support the back side after several hours.

The you-tube channel "You, Me, and the RV" has posted video on their Red upodate. They purchased replacement Captain's chairs and a dinette from "The Bunkhouse". So, there is another option.

We had the foam replaced on a set of dinette cushions. Big improvement. Highly advised.

Sympathy for the degradation problem.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 11:11 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yup, DRM's got it right.
Lisa Bauer in Dubuque, Iowa is the lady and she bailed me out big time with a set of new covers for our old Jayco Seneca 33ss.
The seat covers were beautiful, and went on easily, after a few Youtube primers. She even sent me a few sample patches to choose from prior to ordering.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2014 Chrysler T&C, on a Master Tow Dolly.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 11:34 AM   #12

technomadia RV has a very good write-up on Flex-Steel and the poor quality "halo-leather" used, and their subsequent re-covering.

https://www.technomadia.com/2021/12/...oleather-fail/
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 07:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post

I had Lisa Bauer and her crew recover my couch in June. Called from the road and spoke to them about recovering since we were passing through the area. We decided to change the color a bit since we had already replaced the peeling recliner, made by a different company. Her son Mason sent out some color samples to a campground we were scheduled to stop at for a few days in South Dakota. We chose the color and let them know so they could start making the covers. They had the covers ready when we arrived and they removed the couch, recovered and re-installed in just over three hours. Beautiful job.

FYI, this wasn’t a Flexsteel problem. It was a coach manufacturer problem. Tiffin, and other manufacturers, specified the material and in some cases actually shipped the material to Flexsteel for furniture fabrication. This is probably why our recliner did the same thing, even though it wasn’t made by Flexsteel. We learned a lot when we were there. They also have 50 amp service so you can stay there until the furniture is completed. If you have front captains and passenger seats with built in seatbelts, I wouldn’t trust anyone but Bauer’s to recover.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 05:38 PM   #14

Delaminate

Tiffin gave us new material since I waited past a year. $1200 to have all recovered. I paid installation
clemri1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furniture