Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2021, 10:21 PM   #1
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Freightliner has a new chassis for Tiffin

I see by the latest magazine issue, FL now has a raised rail option for the 2022 Phaetons. This now offers Tiffin buyers a choice of chassis & still get the flat floor from front to back that the PowerGlide chassis gave them.

Wonder how long before other mfr's will be able to get that same chassis?
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2021, 09:44 AM   #2

"Other" mfgs have had the option of FL's raised, lower and straight chassis for quite some time.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
"Other" mfgs have had the option of FL's raised, lower and straight chassis for quite some time.
I'll agree, Freightliner has had four rail configurations for a number of years, raised rail, standard rail, lowered rail and modified rail. So it's Tiffin that has started building a coach to fit the raised rail.
REV Group, which builds my Fleetwood, builds their own rail to get more rigidity, and buys the front clip and rear clip from Freightliner to bolt to their rail, so they are considered a modified rail configuration.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:22 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
When Bob indicated that FL built the raised rail for them, I wondered if Tiffin was getting out of the chassis business. I am sure FL is charging them a pretty penny for supplying the chassis.
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:17 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeW View Post
When Bob indicated that FL built the raised rail for them, I wondered if Tiffin was getting out of the chassis business. I am sure FL is charging them a pretty penny for supplying the chassis.
I'd agree but IMO it still would be cheaper for Tiffin to outsource the chassis to a manufacturer that builds them for a living and has a proven track record. Sometimes building them in house can control Quality better and if done right can also make it less costly but if Bob indicated that FL built it for them he could be predicting the foreseeable future when RV industry demands will drop. This will lessen the demand which in turn idles equipment, layoff people and in the end impact profit. IMHO it's a fine line when you decide to build in house or sub it out. My experience over the 46 yrs in High Tech most things were more costly to build in house. Somethings are left to the experts...
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:37 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
.. IMO it still would be cheaper for Tiffin to outsource the chassis to a manufacturer that builds them for a living and has a proven track record...
That makes sense. I'm sure it's a HUGE expense to custom build their own chassis in house. Money tied up in the building, equipment, inventory, overhead & employees with salaries/benefits. If the RV market bubble bursts at some future point, having a source to supply their flat floor floorplans that isn't their own equity is a smart move.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:24 PM   #7

The raised rail is only available on two Phaetons that are available on the Powerglide chassis, XHS models, the 44OH and 40IH. The chassis has the same specs as the Powerglide. Larger front axle, tires, independent front suspension etc. The differences are Freightliner has a 3 stage Jake brake vs Powerglide 2 stage Jake. Small differences in TPMS and dash layout. Freightliner’s collision mitigation and avoidance may be a bit more sophisticated but they’re pretty close. I do like the steering wheel controls on the Freightliner but that’s subjective.
Going from memory I think Freightliner is a couple grand cheaper, certainly not a big enough of a deal to worry about. Freightliner has a huge dealer network but chassis work is pretty rare compared to all the other components. A Cummins with and Allison are all pretty much the same.
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:33 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
The Power Glide and the new Freightliner raised rail are different from the previous raised rail that Freightliner has had all along. In addition to the main frame being on top of the front and rear subassemblies, there is a 7" spacer raising the top rail even more allowing extra height in the storage bays and a flat floor front to rear. The Power Glide XSH chassis storage bays are 7" taller than the previous Phaetons on a Freightliner raised rail. I measured both when ours was being built. Below are photos of the Power Glide XSH raised rail chassis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RaisedRail-1.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	339132   Click image for larger version

Name:	RaisedRail-2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	339133  

Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:23 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
OK, trying to decipher the photos. Both are of a new Powerglide chassis? I was trying to picture the previous Freightliner flat floor chassis, but without pics I am just guessing.

I have owned 3 Freightliner chassis, and my current Powerglide chassis. I was happy to get away from the Freightliner mold, as the Powerglide had been pretty trouble free. I was dismayed to read that Bob Tiffin went to Freightliner to produce the new Phaeton chassis. I have always found Freightliner shops to be terribly over priced when handling anything that was out of the warranty period. I would much prefer if Tiffin would have made the new chassis a Powerglide.
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:45 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm hoping Tiffin continues to build the Powerglide Chassis because it gives them total control over design and for owners, issues are not divided between the chassis mfgr and coach builder. Having retired from over 40 years in manufacturing, I have seen many things "outsourced" and a fair number were not good decisions. There are times when it makes since but so often the manufactures are bound by their outsourced component builders unless the manufacturer is a juggernaut and has the power and Tiffin is not.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:21 PM   #11

I’m wondering if the rail is raised 7”” to make the floor flat, where does the 7” come from? Is the coach body 7” taller than previous coaches, or does it come from interior ceiling height?
Old 08-11-2021, 08:44 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
On our Phaeton, the body was higher. Our Bounder was 12'7", the Phaeton 13'2"

Tags
tiffin, chassis, freightliner