Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2019, 07:39 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Fresh Water Hose Leak in Wet Bay

Greetings Everyone! I've searched the forum and not found anything similar to my issue.

My 2013 Tiffin 43QGP is in enclosed storage with 30 amp connected to maintain batteries. All A/C's are OFF, no City Water connected, Water Pump is OFF, Fresh water tank is at 15%, it has AquaHot water heater (no hot Water tank).

A couple days ago I noticed water on the floor under wet Bay; never seen that before. At first I thought is was the Fresh Water Tank drain valve seeping, so I put a bucket under it to be sure the water was coming from the tank drain line and not the wet bay floor. This morning I returned to find almost a quart of water in the bucket. I narrowed it down to the fresh water hose dripping on the wet bay floor and gravitating to the fresh water tank drain hose. My fresh water hose is on a reel and the water is coming from the end of the hose (the end that connects to the pedestal when all hooked up). Where is this water coming from??? The hose reel is higher than the fresh water holding tank, I don't have a HWH; so its gotta be syphoning water from the Fresh Water Holding tank!! Is there a check valve between the hose reel and the tank? It just started this day before yesterday!

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks.
mikwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2019, 09:36 PM   #2

Don't have a MH, but do know that a syphon discharge end has to be lower than the intake end, so if FW tank is lower, a syphon isn't happening. I would think some of the residual water in the coach that is higher than the reel is finding its way out. Should be a check valve somewhere in the system to prevent backflow when connected to city system--find that and check it?
By the way, do you mind if I PM you and ask some questions about your coach?
Thanks,
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:09 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
There should be a check valve from your hose reel to the coach. Sometimes they get a little dirt in them and stick which causes them to leak water back through hose, especially if water pump on.. If you hook up to city water for awhile it may reset or you'll have to get a new one. Ours has done this once and then cleared up when I had city water thru it for a bit. I also now screw a plug into the hose when I unhook.
RTC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:58 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTC1 View Post
There should be a check valve from your hose reel to the coach. Sometimes they get a little dirt in them and stick which causes them to leak water back through hose, especially if water pump on.. If you hook up to city water for awhile it may reset or you'll have to get a new one. Ours has done this once and then cleared up when I had city water thru it for a bit. I also now screw a plug into the hose when I unhook.

Hmm? Makes sense. I guess when the water level was low enough in the fresh water tank it didn't provide enough pressure on the check valve and equalized; therefore taking the route of least resistance? I'll put a plug in the water hose end until I take the RV out again next week, then add water to fresh water holding tank. I always travel with about 30% water level in fresh tank, but our last trip we used water enroute home and it got down to 15%.

Thanks.
mikwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:44 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Same issue

I had the same problem when my RV was new. I found the check valve to not be working. I had the dealer service dept provide me with a new valve and changed it myself, saving 2+ weeks for a service call. Everything was fine afterwards.
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:18 PM   #6

Just had the same problem

Last weekend, went on a fishing trip at the beach and when I went to flush toilet, no water. Just filled up previous weekend.
Went to nearest water source at another state park and filled the tank. Guess what, water was coming back through the hose. Capped off for the weekend and will pull check valve before putting away for the winter.

Tags
fresh water, leak, water